how to sharpen a knife properly

nicelydoesit

ive just recently baught my first decent knife from helle and it came razor sharp witch i was really impressed with and also got a diamond wetstone but ive tried to sharpen the knife back to its original state after it went blunt but cant get it nowhere near to its original sharpness is there anyone here with a few tips i could try out

The best way is to put the whetstone on a flat surface and lay the bevel of the blade flat on it, then increase the angle a bit and draw your knife across the stone as if you were trying to slice a very thin layer off of the stone. Do this 3-4 times on each side and check sharpness. It's important not to vary the angle of the blade too much and not to use too much pressure.

the diamond whetsone will take quite alot off so you will need a finer stone (ceramic probably) to finnish and after that a leather strop to get a razor edge.

Check sharpness by holding up a piece of paper and with very little pressure slice into the edge, if it cuts without tears and without bending the paper you have a sharp knife.

Good luck.

sorry guys is it jst me or does he get right up your nose too lol

he knows his stuff ??? but he s no mick dundee haha

id love to see him just once take a can of lager out his pocket and go for it to wash down his dung beetle burger :yes:

his wee m8 that is second to none on the plants is even worst lol where do they find these annoying squeeky clean ahhhhh!!!! ........ ill stop there :good:

bloody nice knife though ......

im a carpenter and only use my fine oilstone on my skinning knifes ...more than adequate :yes:

Edited by para90

This I agree with :yes:

no comment on the rest of your post :yes:

no offence intended i love his programmes mucker really but hell he needs a bit of carisma and a few lighthearted ...even jokes or something to break up the seriousness he seems to think it all is ...smile fgs ray :good::yes:???

Edited by para90

no offence intended i love his programmes mucker really but hell he needs a bit of carisma and a few lighthearted ...even jokes or something to break up the seriousness he seems to think it all is ...smile fgs ray :good::yes::yes:

None taken. I know what you mean he is a bit serious, i think thats why he dosent get more air time.

Maybe they should give him his own show like the crystal maze only they put all these overnight celebrities in life and death situations where they are given a twig and a bit of string to escape.

???

None taken. I know what you mean he is a bit serious, i think thats why he dosent get more air time.

Maybe they should give him his own show like the crystal maze only they put all these overnight celebrities in life and death situations where they are given a twig and a bit of string to escape.

:good:

mano a mano with beargrills lol ray is never gonna win a race over the mountains ...escape and evation..... but might make up a blow dart pipe and stick the bear in the back lol :good:

loved the one when they were in france on the river spearing fish with his auld m8 with the white muslim beard lol .

soz but cant recall the name of the river but they had to get permission to use the tranquill setting ...top viewing :good:

Ive been using one of them blade-tec things, gets a really good edge on my opinal knife but although it does sharpen it I am bit worried it is damaging my Buck knife when I use it on that.

Anyone got any thoughts on these?

Yep, they're crapola! Fine on a cheap knife but use it on anything half decent and you'll be doing a great disservice to the blade as it chews it's way through the steel.

• 1 month later...