Cat converter thefts

truckboy1

HI Folks,

Just to give you a heads up,

I'm the commercial vehicle manager for a Toyota dealership and the core of my business is selling Hilux, at the weekend we had some ******* pinch the cat converter of 9 Toyota Hilux!! :rolleyes:

Apparently there are organised teams of men going around with pipe cutters targeting 4x4's as well as campers.

I spoke to the scrap dealer who takes any old bangers we have in px and he has said the price of scrap metal is on the rise again and a typical 4x4 cat is worth up to £100 he had a traveller into his place recently offering him some cats and he claims he had over 380 cats in the back of his van from 1 months work!!! :hmm:

A customer had 1 stolen whilst parked on his driveway and @ £1200 a pop they are not cheap to replace!!! :hmm:

SO BE AWARE YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

yep this has being going on some time now, in my street kast month we had 4 go all off 4x4's

I was at my mates work shop yesterday, he is making a new section to replace the cat as it was stolen from a camper van @ £1600 quid! The guy has a new one, but will put it back on for the mot next year as the insurance company said he would be a target because the thief would know he will buy a new one and could well wait and nick it again!

Sounds like a market for some time in the work shop! You wont stop them, but the harder it is the more time they will spend and a greater chance of getting caught!

TEH

CATS are required for vehicles to pass the emissions tests, but any exhaust manufacturer (loads of custom pipe benders about) can fit a standard pipe where the cat fits. Problem is mid pipe cats and ground clearance on 4x4 meads they are very easy to remove.

So have you any ideas on how to secure the Cats ? :rolleyes:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sourc...pbJBxLEhh4YArcA

That will slow them down quite a lot as they are a pig to get off when you are standing up let alone laying on your back in the dark, easy to fit, yes they can cut the pipe and often do, but for the thief who is not so geared up, a cheap and quick fix.

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter

Apparently there are organised teams

I spoke to the scrap dealer

price of scrap metal is on the rise again

a traveller

Is the problem the people steeling them or the people that turn a blind eye to them to buy them?

Same with copper wire etc etc etc the list goes on

Somtimes the more you secure somthing the more damage is created when they remove it, so are you better with quick release??? :whistling: