Young Driver

kev 1

I'm in the same boat, my son passed his test about 4 months ago and can't get him on the insurance for my Jimny, everyone wants around £3000 to include him on my fully comp policy, Scandalous :ernyha:

I'll keep watching the thread to see if anyone has any good suggestions or ideas ???

We'll soon be in the situation where all the 25 year old drivers won't have any experience, because they couldn't get insurance until they are 25 :good:

Edited by KPV4

dont no if this will help but a few years ago my friend bought a mitsubishi gto and he was 18 :ernyha:

any how after days of stupid quotes he looked in to a trade policy ???

he told them he was buying and selling a few cars :good:

he got the policy for £18.hundred

hope you get what your after

cheers dm

Every young lad passess his test and wants to drive a rocket ship...He needs to get the lowest category of insurance vehicle he can, like a Ka, Corsa or 206 and take out a policy as proposer and main driver. If after a year he is accident and claim free The premiums should start to tumble.

Expect to pay 1200 - 1400 for a annual policy perhaps slightly less for TPFT with a £500 excess.

Sadly the fact is that the majority of incidence of accident and claim for young drivers is due to testosterone fueled male teenagers.

Dont be tempted to "hedge" either which is having him as a "named driver" on a policy proposed by yourself where someone else is the "main driver" Its illegal and can lead to dire consequences if suffering an accident. A stupid friend of mine did this last year and a repair bill to his vehicle which was £800 ended up with him some £12,000 yes 12,000 out of pocket after a successfull personal injury claim by the other party....so be warned.

Good luck.

dont no if this will help but a few years ago my friend bought a mitsubishi gto and he was 18 :ernyha:

any how after days of stupid quotes he looked in to a trade policy ???

he told them he was buying and selling a few cars :good:

he got the policy for £18.hundred

hope you get what your after

cheers dm

Then he is a complete p**t and only cocking it up for other honest drivers. Just wait and see what happens if he has a serious accident involving a second party !

Then he is a complete p**t and only cocking it up for other honest drivers. Just wait and see what happens if he has a serious accident involving a second party !

funny you say that he did wraped it round a lamp post :hmm:

and if you think a 18 year old lad can get insurance on any of tha said cars for £1400

then i think you are wrong.

eg 2 weeks ago

my friends lad 18 years old passed 1 month ago he bought him a 1.1 corsa on a 54 plate.

and the cheapist quote was 3 thosand four hundred pounds

Adding named drivers with experience/no points helps. Also adding females to the policy (even inexperienced) helps significantly. I recently renewed with Elephant, adding a friend (girl my age and experience) to the policy and it went from £700 to £350. She is no more experienced or older than myself, but being female means she is more likely to see an accident than be involved in one.

Modern insurance for first time drivers is silly, but its part and parcel for it and it is high for a reason. I was paying £2.5k for my comprehensive insurance in my first year. But 4 years down the line with no claims against me I am paying £350.

With regards to Pass Plus, I intended to take it, but after looking at the number of insurers that actually ask for it and the saving made on the few that did - it really didn't make sense as a money saving move.

I know an awful lot of people that 'Hedge' when young and i couldn't disapprove more - it might save them money at the time, but it costs all of us and is just as bad as not having any insurance at all in my opinion.

If you can't afford the insurance then you can't afford to run a car - wait another year.

direct line i'm a named driver i have a kia 1.3 but beofre i had volvo 340 mind you i was 20 when i passed my test lol its £50 a month fully comp as a named driver and i earn my no claims aslong as i dont leave direct line

Which is fine if your not doing the most mileage. However if your actually the main driver then its illegal and your not insured. The insurance companies will check, private investigators, checking registered owner and modifications on the car are some of the ways they can find out.

Which is fine if your not doing the most mileage. However if your actually the main driver then its illegal and your not insured. The insurance companies will check, private investigators, checking registered owner and modifications on the car are some of the ways they can find out.

I agree, all they have to do is go and ask the neighbours "Who's is that car" when the answer is you not whoever the named driver is you are in a world of trouble.

Insurance is very expensive for new drivers i agree, it's expensive for a reason.

When i passed in 1990 i paid £234 TPFT on a MK1 Astra GTE (over a months wages at the time) and yes, i did bin it in spectacular fashion 6 months later.. got 11 points and then couldn't get insurance that i could afford for about 3 years :hmm:

My renewal has just come up and it's gone up by £200 this year.. clean license, 14 years NCB basic non performance car :shout:

Jon.

With regards to Pass Plus, I intended to take it, but after looking at the number of insurers that actually ask for it and the saving made on the few that did - it really didn't make sense as a money saving move.

Pass plus is a great course - I hate having to "sell" it as an insurance reduction course,It does make a difference over a couple years, will pay for itself but only certain insurance companies will recognise it - I would like to see all insurance companies made to fall into line with a % discount - It's far more advanced than the L test and gives young drivers invaluable motorway experience.

I'm a little lost at this "Hedging" mularky..... If myself or my wife decide to buy anther car and want to insure our son as a named driver so he can drive the car then this shouldn't be a problem, after all I'm paying to insure him.

There is a major problem with this "main driver" situation and insurance companies. :shout:

When I renewed the insurance on the family vehicle (which is insured for myself and my wife) the operator asked "who was the main driver", to which I said it is 50-50 neither one of us is the main driver we both use the vehicle equally, but the car is in my name and it is my insurance policy. This completely stumped the operator on the phone, she said "one of you has to be the main driver" to which i said "no we don't". I followed this up by asking if I were to say I was the main driver if my wife had an accident then would you be trying to then prove my wife drove it more than me??? :hmm::hmm: In my book these insurance companies are looking for any reason to get out of paying :hmm: I told the company they would have to prove in court beyond reasonable doubt that I wasn't the main driver of the vehicle if this was the case, and after the fact this would be very difficult :good: No matter how many private investigators they send they won't be able to prove diddly after it has happened.

This will be the same if myself or my wife were to purchase another car insure it with my son named on the policy. if the car is kept as standard and we all drive the vehicle, it will be for the court to prove beyond reasonable doubt who was the main driver of the vehicle. I say this because if the insurance company refused to pay out I would be taking legal action against them for not providing me with a service I had purchased and payed for.

It is high time these companies were challenged. Some years ago I was involved in an accident where someone hit my car, not much damage and no injury, but the other party tried to blame me for the accident. My insurer almost rolled over and paid up. The legal team were worse than useless, I ran rings around them and beat the other parties insurers who then payed up. So I would certainly be up for the challenge of the "main driver" issue if necessary :good: Again private investigators after the accident are of no use, if they gather local information to prove the main driver was different to that on the policy, they will have to get those who provided the info to stand up in court. These companies do all of this to frighten those taking out policies, but it is time we all started to challenge these companies :good:

The following question need to be clarified by the insurers:

How many times can a named driver actually drive the vehicle, without fear of the insurer trying not to pay a claim?

If any named driver is involved in a claim (other than the main driver) will the insurer then try not to pay out, it could be the first time the named driver has driven the vehicle?

How will the insurer know how many times the named driver has driven the vehicle? (Impossible)

If I drive the car 20 times this week of a mile each time, and my son drives the car once but 20 miles, who is classed as the main driver?

I would say the insurers would find it difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt who is the main driver, and the more we challenge these companies the less they will get away with. It is much better to be insured than not at all, if their name is on the policy they are insured to drive the vehicle!!!! :good: If this is not the case then let the insurers prove why this is not the case :hmm:

Edited by KPV4

Thats certainly a fair comment. However in my experience most people i know that hedge will be the registered owner, with their parents the main driver on the policy yet be doing seriously different mileage. And like you say if the difference is that slight they will really struggle to prove beyond any reasonable doubt who is the main driver.

Its all good challenging these companies about their 'main driver' policy, however when the reality of a serious change in this policy would result in them loading the policies of everyone with a young driver on the policy you might not be so keen on the outcome.

Hot-Shot, i know we have had the Pass Plus discussion previously. And we will always disagree about it i'm sure, but for me the main problem is the lack of mainstream insurers accepting it and the tiny discount they currently offer. I do however agree additional training for drivers helping them drive at night and motorways can only be a good thing. Perhaps this would decrease the number of people sitting in the 2nd lane or driving with fog lights on.

funny you say that he did wraped it round a lamp post :hmm:

and if you think a 18 year old lad can get insurance on any of tha said cars for £1400

then i think you are wrong.

eg 2 weeks ago

my friends lad 18 years old passed 1 month ago he bought him a 1.1 corsa on a 54 plate.

and the cheapist quote was 3 thosand four hundred pounds

Cost me £1200 for my 17 year old daughter,with a ford ka 1.3,and now shes 18 she pays roughly the same :shout: and thats fully comp :good: BB

I know lads are generally a bit more to insure,and pass plus,does that lower your policy?ive heard recently that the insurance companys dont bother if youve done it or not :good:

and sticking them on your policy to get them insured cheaper,isnt something ive done with my kids,they need to stand on there own two feet at some point :good:

just because some of the prices some people put up i thought were cheap ive just gone on a comparison site

and put my self in as a 18 year old driver who has been driveing nearly a year on a 1.2 fiesta on a 54 plate

no ncd and fullycomp and it came back at 5 and a half grand

Without even trying i got an 18yr old, 1 yrs experience/ncb, student with no named drivers on a 1.2 54 plate Fiesta for £1878 with elephant.

If you add a female named driver with no convictions and 15 yrs experiance to the policy it is £1271

This is on a postcode in a D rated area (which is pretty bad)

This is with Elephant and i haven't even tried other insurers.