Suggest a .243 Cleaning Kit.

Frenchieboy

OK Guys, as many of you will know I am going up from my .222 to a .243! I need to buy a reasonable cleaning kit as the rifle that I am buying has a brand new barrel fitted and it will take a bit of "running in" to get the barrel settled down. Please can anyone suggest a reasonably priced cleaning kit that I will be able to carry with me (Maybe in my racksack) when I go out to "run the barrel in" and set the rifle up that will do the job without costing me an arm and a leg as all I have at the moment is my .17 and .22 cleaning kit. (Which is just a "cheap and chearful" kit)

I've heard that Bore Snakes are not all that good, can anyone enlighten me on this please?

Edited by Frenchieboy

If I were you Frenchie, considering it's a nice new barrel and all that, I would get a nice one piece rod that's plastic coated. Something made by the likes of Dewey, Pro-shot etc. They're not cheap but they look after your rifling. These steel rods that screw together aren't the sort of thing I'd like to shove down my guns. Maybe a brass one could be ok but plastic coated is better. I don't use a bore guide myself buy many do.

A cleaning kit isn't something I'd skimp on too much.

When I say not cheap I mean maybe £20 for the rod and under £5 for a mop, jag and brush. Try to get a speer tip jag because they're so much easier to use than those silly wrap around things!

Edited by njc110381

I am only "questioning" the use of a bore snake because of what I once read, I have never used one so if anyone has any comments or experience I would like to hear their thoughts. I would welcome any comments, thoughts, hints or tips for "running the barrel in properly" so that I can get the best accuracy and reliability out of my new toy when it arrives. I do not claim to be an expert and I can only go by what I have read in the past. I am willing to listen and learn to advance my knowledge!

The next bullet will clean it just fine and is pretty cheap :angry:

Gixer, are you saying that it is safe to just get on with it and not worry too much about cleaning the bore? I was led to believe that there was a "way" to run a new barrel in! Can you correct me if I am wrong please?

Thanks for that mate, it seems a bit extreme and time consuming though.

I was told that you did it the following way:

First you fired one shot then cleaned the bore. You repeated this five times making five shots in all..

Then you fired 2 shots and cleaned the bore, repeating this five times. Making fifteen shots so far.

You then fired five shots and cleaned the bore and repeated this process five times. By this time you have fired 40 shots through the barrel and it should be starting to settle itself in.

Would someone with experience of "running in a new barrel" care to tell me if I am right or have I got it wrong, and if so what is the best way to do it please?

A boresnake is good for getting the initial crud out the barrel and i always use one first then get the foam out and give it a squirt leave for a bit then the brush,then the patches until they come out clean.

Running in is a personal choice.I dont think the shoot 1 clean shoot another clean mularky is a must,I fire 5 give it a good clean,fire 10-15 give it a good clean then dont clean it again(the bore) until i miss.The outside gets a wipe down before it goes back everytime and the occasional oiling but apart from that not a lot of scrubbing goes on.

A boresnake is good for getting the initial crud out the barrel and i always use one first then get the foam out and give it a squirt leave for a bit then the brush,then the patches until they come out clean.

Running in is a personal choice.I dont think the shoot 1 clean shoot another clean mularky is a must,I fire 5 give it a good clean,fire 10-15 give it a good clean then dont clean it again(the bore) until i miss.The outside gets a wipe down before it goes back everytime and the occasional oiling but apart from that not a lot of scrubbing goes on.

That sounds fine mate! Is that fire 5 give it a good clean, fire 10-15 and so forth right from the word go with a brand new barrel please? If so is there a way of telling if the barrel is settling in or do you just judge it by the grouping and accuracy from then onwards? - Or to rephrase that question, roughly how many rounds would you expect to run a new .243 barrel in please?

Yes,that is a brand new barrel.

The way i judge it is by the grouping and once it has had a couple of boxes of bullets through it and a few cleans the consistency will get better.Some people get too hung up on cleaning imo and as long as it is shooting where i want it to then it doesnt get the chemicals in it..

Yes,that is a brand new barrel.

The way i judge it is by the grouping and once it has had a couple of boxes of bullets through it and a few cleans the consistency will get better.Some people get too hung up on cleaning imo and as long as it is shooting where i want it to then it doesnt get the chemicals in it..

Thanks for that. Please help me out a little more here if you will. You say put 5 rounds through it then clean it followed by another 10 or 15 rounds and clean it again. How thoroughly do you suggest cleaning it each time and do you suggest using something like Brunox on a Bronze brush or any other "cleaning fluid" please?

I have a sporting rifle mag - in there is an article basically

saying you don't need to worry to much about shooting in,

it was an article on homeloading, he zeroed and cleaned, took

another 15 rounds before the gun grouped again.

I didn't run mine in, just put a few rounds through to zero, another

20 or so practice rounds, good clean and carried on from there.

I am only "questioning" the use of a bore snake because of what I once read, I have never used one so if anyone has any comments or experience I would like to hear their thoughts. I would welcome any comments, thoughts, hints or tips for "running the barrel in properly" so that I can get the best accuracy and reliability out of my new toy when it arrives. I do not claim to be an expert and I can only go by what I have read in the past. I am willing to listen and learn to advance my knowledge!

I have strong views on boresnakes and rifles, not everyone will share my view but hey, thats life.

The Boresnake was developed initially for a quick clean of the highly corrosive propellant residues in your your Shotgun barrel.

Since then the Marketing people have done an excellent job of convincing a large part of the world they are Gods answer to completely cleaning EVERY barrel.

RUBBISH.

They may well still have a place for a quick once over in the field but they will not clean your barrel, also be very careful of uneven crown wear with them!

There is no substitute yet for chemicals, scrubbers, patches!

ATB!

I look at it this way, I spent a lot of money on my rifle and I would like it to work for me.

For the centrefires I adopt an approach on the lines of Border Barrels, although perhaps not quite so extreme, but during the "running in" process it is absolutely vital you clean the barrel very very very thoroughly.

Ok, it may take a few days and cost a few rounds (Buying the cheapest ammo you can find is fine for this process) but either I have got lucky or it works.

ALL my centrefires can handle the cheapest ammo to an acceptable level and expensive ammo to within a fraction of a mm of top target tools!

For the cost and time involved I am prepared to give it a go!

I have also adopted a similar, though not quite so anal process, for my rimfires, and they all work too. :hmm:

ATB!

Thanks for that. Please help me out a little more here if you will. You say put 5 rounds through it then clean it followed by another 10 or 15 rounds and clean it again. How thoroughly do you suggest cleaning it each time and do you suggest using something like Brunox on a Bronze brush or any other "cleaning fluid" please?

After the first 5 run a boresnake through then use something like kleenbore formula 3 to soak patches leave for a bit then use patches till they come out clean.Fire the 10-15 through it and then boresnake then a good clean using a good quality cleaner(i use forrest bore foam)a good scrub with bronze brush and patches till clean,and away you go.

I agree with Dekers that boresnakes are great for shotguns but they wont get a bore on a rifle clean but like i said they are good at the initial crud removal.

i must admit i dont do a lot of cleening of the barrel the action and the overall gun itself i do wipe down and greese but there are some half decent cleening kits on ebay i got mine of there and has done me fine. think the kit was £20 nice little wooden box a4 sort of size and has all the bits to do the lot 17 223 and shotgun

I look at it this way, I spent a lot of money on my rifle and I would like it to work for me.

For the centrefires I adopt an approach on the lines of Border Barrels, although perhaps not quite so extreme, but during the "running in" process it is absolutely vital you clean the barrel very very very thoroughly.

Ok, it may take a few days and cost a few rounds (Buying the cheapest ammo you can find is fine for this process) but either I have got lucky or it works.

ALL my centrefires can handle the cheapest ammo to an acceptable level and expensive ammo to within a fraction of a mm of top target tools!

For the cost and time involved I am prepared to give it a go!

I have also adopted a similar, though not quite so anal process, for my rimfires, and they all work too. :hmm:

ATB!

Agreed. You want your kit to last and work well for you so why compromise for the sake of a few days/rounds?

I use "Patch Out" which does away with the need for a brush, just a rod, mop, jag and plenty patches and it does the job well.

Also IMO a boresnake is a shotgun only tool, I wouldn't use one in my rifles.

get a borguide that is very inportant. it will make sure the rod go's intot he bore right with out catching the throat.

dewey rods are superb i have one from reloading solutions you get the speer jag and adaptor with it for the brushes to go onto. proshot nylon brushes are great and imo you dont need a bronze brush with todays cleaning stuff on the market inless you let tyhe rifle get very soiled.

make sure when you get the rod you get the right length as the boreguide will take some of the lenght up and you might not exit the barrel before the rod hand hits the back of the boreguide.

as for cleaning stuff i use kg carbon cleaner and kg copper remover. buthcers bore shine is good but messy. some good patches like proshot along with proshot nylon brush.

chamber cleaning rod is a must to imo. when yo uuse the carbon or copper cleaner on the brush make sure you use some degreaser on the brush after to clena the **** off it.

some brake degreaser form halfords does the job. i also use a patch of this down the barrel when i want to clean the carbon remover or copper remover out. it will save you on patches. then jus tpatch out dry.

I have strong views on boresnakes and rifles, not everyone will share my view but hey, thats life.

The Boresnake was developed initially for a quick clean of the highly corrosive propellant residues in your your Shotgun barrel.

Since then the Marketing people have done an excellent job of convincing a large part of the world they are Gods answer to completely cleaning EVERY barrel.

RUBBISH.

They may well still have a place for a quick once over in the field but they will not clean your barrel, also be very careful of uneven crown wear with them!

There is no substitute yet for chemicals, scrubbers, patches!

ATB!

I never thought that I would so wholeheartedly agree with Mr Dekers.

i personally use KG1, KG2 and KG12 cleaning products.

I put 1 patch with KG1 down the tube, leave for couple of mins.

Then put KG1 on a Nylon brush and pass the brush down the tube and back 3 times( 6 strokes), re apply more KG1 and then same as before.

Patch out with clean dry patches

Apply a bit of KG2 to a new patch and imagine the barrel in 3 sections, then in like a buffing motion, (push pulling the rod) buff the first section, the throat into the barrel. Do this a fair few times and then push the patch out. Repeat this in the other 2 sections all the way to the crown.

Then with clean patches keep patching till they come out clean

If i dont get to clean my rifle sometimes and its been used a few times i will use KG12 in between the KG1 and KG2 processes

After that i used a chamber cleaner to clean the throat and the bolt recess area

never needed a fouling shot after this cleaning process but check yourself as others might

if you dont want to do this all the time or you use the rifle one night then want to use it the next day/night a patch with brake cleaner down the tube will do

I'm not sure about all this running in business. With my first two rifles I took all the time to do the fire one and clean routine and they shot well. Then I got another rifle and took the "**** it that'll do" attitude of giving it a clean when I bought it and then blatting off loads of rounds until it needed a clean again. It shot the same as the ones I run in and didn't foul any more quickly? I just don't bother any more! When I buy a gun I just shoot it and they all shoot fine!

I can't remember who it is but one of the top barrel makers says not to bother. There are so many opinions that you have to do what you feel is right. In my experience though (which is ten or so rifles now) they all shoot the same, run in or not! :)