Hull comp x 21g F/W

Hi everyone.I want to purchase my first lot of 1000 12g cartridges,as I am new to shooting.The cartridges I want to buy are Hull comp x 21g F/W,can anyone advise the best place and price to me.I want to buy them on the internet as there are only 3 shops I know of in DORSET and 2 of them do not stock them and the 3rd wants extortionate prices for them.What is the procedure for buying cartridges on the internet, as obviously this is my first time..

Any help would be much appreciated. :good:

Pete,

Hi, I had 1000 of these from Just Cartridges for £135 (for plastic wads) plus £15 p&p. Fibre wads are £150 plus p&p. You can order via their website or by ringing them. They ask for a copy of the front of your SGC to be e-mailed to them. Delivery is only a couple of days.

Good cartridge, they break clays and are easy on the recoil!

Struggled to find them myself, only one local dealer sells hull and didn't have the 21g in stock only the 28 which i have used but weren't impressed with. Best bet is phone around all the dealers with a 30-40 mile drive I don't find Just cartridges that cheap TBH especially when you add delivery. Have you Tried phoning Avalon in Street, Somerset? Coach on here uses them and will probably knows where to get them at a good price.

Best bet is phone around all the dealers with a 30-40 mile drive I don't find Just cartridges that cheap TBH especially when you add delivery.

Don't know what car you drive, but in my Freelander I can't drive that far to save £15 delivery. That and it takes a couple of hours out of my day, and I always buy things at gunshops that I don't need!

Although I have never used Just Cartridges etc I would in a heartbeat if they had something I couldn't get from my local RFD. I try to support the local shop and I'm not cartridge fussy. I like Hull carts but usually manage with whatever I can get cheapest for playing at claybreaking.

Hi.Thankyou all for your comments and advice,as I am new to shooting I asked on this forum which carts would have the least ammout of kick,for myself and also my wife who like me loves clay shooting.We had had a couple of trial days and both loved it,so are now hooked.I have looked on the internet for prices for the Hull comp x 21g carts and all though some stock them,most are in P/W and have been told not all shooting grounds like these as they do not bio degrade.Essex Gun sell the carts but only in P/W at £135 per 1000 plus delivery.I enquired at one of my local shooting grounds where we had our trial days,PURBECK SHOOING SCHOOL and they wanted £179.82 per 1000 and that was if I collected the carts from them.I have contacted Coach on this forum as suggested by HDAV and just waiting for a reply.

Pete.

Try sportsman in Dorset, most clay grounds on fixed sites use plastic it's the ones in fields that don't like it, check with local grounds you are likely to shoot at. Cheapest place for carts I have found is TJ Hale in the midlands so I buy when I am there, not sure if they ship tho.

Sounds a bit expensive. I know you seem set on Comp-x, but it is worth chatting to your local dealer before comitting youself to 1K purchase. Why not try a couple of boxes of what your dealer has for a cheaper price? You might find some you like as much as the Hull and save a few pennies at the same time, I did this and found I liked the Eley firsts better and cheaper, you always have just cartridges to fall back on and quick delivery. Good luck.

Email the lovely :good: Susan at Hull and tell her Rob the A.P.S.I coach from Somerset put you on to her and she will not only tell you where your nearest supplier is but she will treat like a king/queen. :yes:

susan@hullcartridge.co.uk

I get mine from :-

Tower Guns, Bruton, Somerset.

Wood Farm, Clay Shooting Club, Mere, Wiltshire.

Greenfields Gun Shop, Salisbury, Wiltshire. (the cheapest.) :good:

Edited by COACH

Email the lovely :yes: Susan at Hull and tell her Rob the A.P.S.I coach from Somerset put you on to her and she will not only tell you where your nearest supplier is but she will treat like a king/queen. :lol:

susan@hullcartridge.co.uk

I get mine from :-

Tower Guns, Bruton, Somerset.

Wood Farm, Clay Shooting Club, Mere, Wiltshire.

Greenfields Gun Shop, Salisbury, Wiltshire. (the cheapest.) :good:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thankyou very much Rob for your reply and the info on the cartridges.I emailed Hull cartridge about a week ago asking the same question.I did explain I was a new shooter and asked where my nearest supplier was,but never received a reply.I will mention your name Rob perhaps it might make them sit up a bit.Thanks again for your help. :good:

Pete.

hi all i used these carts last saterday i wasent that impresed with them found there was a lot of felt blew every where about 9 foot in front of the gun it put me off a bit for the second clay and some times the second cart would not fire as there was not a noth recoil. i rearly like gamebore blue diamond 28g good clean burn and dosent leave maney deposits in the barrels. i found scats to be the cheepest at £165 per 1000

hi all i used these carts last saterday i wasent that impresed with them found there was a lot of felt blew every where about 9 foot in front of the gun it put me off a bit for the second clay and some times the second cart would not fire as there was not a noth recoil. i rearly like gamebore blue diamond 28g good clean burn and dosent leave maney deposits in the barrels. i found scats to be the cheepest at £165 per 1000

Ashley, I've only used the plastic ones but had no problems with them at all, certainly no misfires with the second barrel. Just for interest, which gun do you use?

i have a beretta 686e sporting its in verry good condition i dont think there is a problem with gun as i have put the snap caps in and let the trigger go then hit the bottom of the stock and the second triger works ok.

just a question where do u shoot as most of the clay grounds around me say only felt wads to be used

I tried a box (25) of these cartridges recently and was pleasantly surprised. However, like Ashley, I was offput by the amazingly large wad! I too use Gamebore Blue Diamond 28g and figure that that extra 25% of lead ups my chances of hitting the clay. Firing a BD immediately following a CX, the recoil was noticeably increased, for someone of lighter build I would recommend the CX. No problems with second barrel, either.

I too don't like the Hull Comp X. They emit what can only be described as a shower of confetti. It realy doe sput me off the second shot.

I now usually shoot Gamebore White Gold XLR (12g 28gram). Lower recoil than the standard White Gold and the recoil is not bad at all, and their not too expensive either. A 250 slab costs £45 from my local shop. I would reccomend these any day of the week! especialy of the Comp X.

They also do a 21gram and a 24 gram version if the weight is important to you. Just check out the Gamebore website.

Guest cookoff013

unfortunately, lots of confetti is an issue with the 21g loads.

the wad height is adjusted for the light payload. (bigger wad= more confettii)

another is the cold temperature performance. keep the shells warm amd they will do very well.

i have to use the fibre wads, but prefer the performance of plastic.

i currently use cyl and cyl with these shells.

although as my dealer has run out of 3/4oz loads i`m just shooting english sporter at the moment.

I tried a box (25) of these cartridges recently and was pleasantly surprised. However, like Ashley, I was offput by the amazingly large wad! I too use Gamebore Blue Diamond 28g and figure that that extra 25% of lead ups my chances of hitting the clay. Firing a BD immediately following a CX, the recoil was noticeably increased, for someone of lighter build I would recommend the CX. No problems with second barrel, either.

Interesting. I'm currently going through a slab each of 28gm Comp X and 28gm Blue Diamond both in fibre. The Comp X don't leave much muck in the barrels and are definitely lighter on the shoulder and quieter compared to the BD's and both are lighter and quieter still compared to a 28gm Rio Target Load, also in fibre. Not noticed any difference in kills but then I'm hardly an advanced shot who'd notice that kind of thing!

At £42'ish a slab for the Comp X I think they're a good balance. So too Eley Firsts which are tad more coin than Comp X.

• 2 months later...

I have to say that the fibre wads are now very dirty and do indeed fling rubbish all over the place. Its awful on a windy day, the hot bits come back into your face and eyes. NOT GOOD. :no:

I`v been on to Hull about it but they say nothing has changed, :hmm: yeah right. They will definitely loose sales of them now as they use to be very clean, not now though :no:

Excellent product that`s been totally ruined. :yes:

Guest cookoff013

I have to say that the fibre wads are now very dirty and do indeed fling rubbish all over the place. Its awful on a windy day, the hot bits come back into your face and eyes. NOT GOOD. :no:

I`v been on to Hull about it but they say nothing has changed, :hmm: yeah right. They will definitely loose sales of them now as they use to be very clean, not now though :no:

could be the temperature you were shooting in? do you store your shells in a freezer? :lol:

hull make the best carts in my opinion. then gamebore.

dunno i had a few comp X fibre 28g left over from a fibre only ground, shot a sporting round at a normal ground (Eley blues plastic) but got a few comp X mixed in a guy in the squad grabbed after the 3 rd pair and insisted i checked the barrels for a blockage as the compX sounded totally different and he could see bits of stuff coming out the barrels!!!

Gun was fine but firing one eley blue and 1 compX raised some eyebrows...

I found the Eley first lites OK and not especially dirty.

Also shot some 24g Victory Fitasc carts! :good: had flames/flashes out the barrels (30" + extended chokes) with those bad boys! Not that it makes me hit more or less, but does look interesting did feel it in the shoulder though brass on the end of the cart is twice as deep as the hulls! (does that mean basically twice the powder load?)

Edited by HDAV

I have used the 21g Comp X in the past but have to agree on the latest Hull fibres.

I use Hull Pro Fibre for sporting and the last slab I bought were exactly the same, confetti everywhere and very offputting on the second bird, a few others that use tham have also noticed so after the current lot are used i'm switching back to Gamebore White Gold or Blue Diamond.

Jon.