Walking Stick Shotguns

bigstevouk

Fairly complex area of law. I think a firearm "disguised as another object" or similar wording is section 5 (prohibited without a rarer than rocking horse doo doo home office licence). However, if it's over a certain age, then it might class as an antique and be licence exempt. I think the idea of owning and shooting one is out. I remember reading in one of the shooting mags how Bill Harriman from BASC acted as an expert witness for the defence in a case where a bloke was charged with illegal possession of a prohibited (section 5) weapon (walking stick shotgun). It was eventually agreed it was a licence exempt antique and he got off, but the message is - tread carefully as illegal possession of prohibited weapon = 5 years inside!! :o

Edited by Blunderbuss

I know someone who has a walking stick gun and two umbrella guns-they all shoot 410 cartridges and are still in full working order.They're all section 5 firearms and the Police have already told him that he wont be able to pass them onto a family member in a will so will likely be destroyed.I think the only reason the Police have never challenged him is because of his age (70+) and he's had them for nearly 50 years! The walking stick gun really is a work of art with an antler handle,pop out trigger and an almost 007 way of loading.

I know someone who has a walking stick gun and two umbrella guns-they all shoot 410 cartridges and are still in full working order.They're all section 5 firearms and the Police have already told him that he wont be able to pass them onto a family member in a will so will likely be destroyed.I think the only reason the Police have never challenged him is because of his age (70+) and he's had them for nearly 50 years! The walking stick gun really is a work of art with an antler handle,pop out trigger and an almost 007 way of loading.

Would be really nice to see some picture of that rare item!

Would be really nice to see some picture of that rare item!

The walking stick really is a work of art and intresting to see.To load you twist the handle which exposes the breech then stick a cartridge in,twist back to close,then press a button and a springloaded trigger plops out.Its quite a heavy stick what with the entire thing being a barrel and would be a shame if it was ever destroyed.

Edited by Imperfection

BigStevoUK,

Walking stick shotguns can be held on a suitably conditioned Shotgun Certificate.

See Chapter 11 of 2002 HO Guidance:

11.15 It should be noted that chief officers of

police are not empowered (as they are with

firearm certificates) to impose any conditions

of their own on shot gun certificates. The

only exception to this is in relation to section

5(5) of the 1998 Rules and section 5A(3) of

the 1968 Act (as amended). This provides

that when a person wishes to acquire a shot

gun disguised as another object for the

purpose of it being kept or exhibited as part

of a collection, the certificate shall be subject

to an additional condition restricting the use

of that shot gun to use for that purpose. The

most common shot gun of this kind will be

the walking-stick shot gun.

Oddly enough, if you want to buy one from a dealer, they must hold a suitable s5 authority.

As it says you may collect these but NOT use them!

Rgds

Andy

The walking stick really is a work of art and intresting to see.To load you twist the handle which exposes the breech then stick a cartridge in,twist back to close,then press a button and a springloaded trigger plops out.Its quite a heavy stick what with the entire thing being a barrel and would be a shame if it was ever destroyed.

When i was much younger pre hungerford a friends dad had one and a walking stick sword, kept in an elephant leg umbrella stand in the hall way, wonder what happened to it... http://www.micksguns.com/special%20shotguns.htm shows a few of them...

Edited by HDAV

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It might be better to get it deactivated then at least you could keep it in the family and then the police wouldn't destroy it?

i have a similar walking stick gun to one of the ones on mick's guns. (see above post)

its been on a standard certificate for the last 10 years at least, do you think i need to contact the police about this?

Thanks Paul

If they know you have it and its not causing any issues then i'd think it best to keep quiet incase they decide it is a problem!

Oli