"Slating Off" other members?

Frenchieboy

I was just reading through a post where someone had said that they had shot a partridge after dark and I noticed yet again that there was what appeared to be a small hardcore band of members that wanted to slate him off and rip him appart for making what appeared (to him) to be a genuine mistake because of what his mate/mentor had advised. OK it does not need any details, it should be sufficient to say that what he did was wrong and he shouldn't have posted it on an open forum but my point is - When a member does something like this would it not be better if the "more experienced members" tried to help and advise rather than just dive in with a load of insults and fault finding? I strongly believe in the saying "You show me a man that says he has NEVER made a mistake and I will show you a liar"! Everyone of us has made a mistake or two at some time in our lives, some of us more than others (Myself included and all of those that spend their time slating off others for their mistakes) but we are never going to learn until someone stops and says - "Hold on mate, this is how you should be doing it", or "You're wrong there, the law says so and so about this". Isn't it better to advise than to find fault, no-one benefits from fault finding but everyone benefits from help and advice!

Surely this atttiude that some members have of making it look like they get some sort of perverse pleasure out of sitting in front of their PCs day and night while logged on to PW just waiting for someone to say one word out of place (In their opinions) is not helping to advance our sport/hobby or encourage newcommers one little bit.

Come on guys, try showing a bit more tollerance and try to help a little more rather than slating people off and calling them all the names you can think of! Is that too much to ask?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

When you pick up a gun you should know the laws.

Yes dazza, I agree with you there but can you honestly say that you have never made a mistake, I think not! And when you made that mistake which would you have rather had, a good slating of and insulting or advice on how to inporve your life and to avoid making that maistake again?

I have made many mistakes maybe even some you have one highlighted above by yourself but I think there is nowt wrong with polite and well mannered replies to wrong doings by others .

I have been subject to slatting off on PW this week myself but I just have little chuckle to myself and think sad %%%%%.

I think PW can be great place but it amazing to see some of the replies to others says what world we live in.

EG a pertcentage of selfish hypocrical members with a good share of GENINUE NICE members .

Still pleased and pround to be a PW member myself :good:

Cheers OTH

Yes dazza, I agree with you there but can you honestly say that you have never made a mistake, I think not! And when you made that mistake which would you have rather had, a good slating of and insulting or advice on how to inporve your life and to avoid making that maistake again?

If I have I didn't advertise them on a public forum. Actually I can't remember ever shooting anything that I shouldn't have.

Yes you should, but thats not the point!

Whats the point then? If you make a mistake and you come on here and get sympathy and a group hug does that make it ok? Know the law before you pull the trigger. No excuses.

I must admit i was thinking this the other day! There has been a lot of negitivity on this site lately. :angry:

I do agree with frenchieboy that giving advise would be better than giving someone a good beasting! We've all done something in the past and thought, i wish i had done that differently.

I know that i use this site as a mentor. I look for advise and want to see what others on here think and can usually find out what i'm after by reading through the posts. If people think they're going to get slated, they won't use the site and may go out and make the mistakes and not know.

I think that 2010 has been a really bad year for the shooting comunity, with things like the Cumbrian shootings and the Raul Moat issue. And even the bad press with the shooting of the "Emperor". The general public just think we're all nutters that go around shooting anything that moves.

So can't we all try and be a little bit friendlier and get on a bit! :good: HIPPY RANT OVER :good:

I'm with Dazza on this one.

If you're going to shoot any live quarry you NEED to know the law. To post on an open forum that you've broken that law tells me that you didn't know or understand it in the first place.

When I first took up wildfowling I spent months talking to experienced 'fowlers, walking the marshes, identifying species by sight and sound, learning about non-tox shot, the seasons and the law.

When I finally set out on the marsh I knew what I could shoot and what I could use to shoot it to keep within the law. It was all very new to me, so I did my homework. I know that if I shoot a Shelduck with lead shot and post it on here I'll get a slating...and rightly so.

I don't shoot game birds, but if I did I'd make damn sure I knew the law regarding them (although even I knew they can't be shot after dark).

I'm sure everyone makes mistakes occasionally, but if you do your homework it's far less likely you'll fall foul of the law.

i`m with dazza on this one.public forums are not the place to post any fodder for the antis.a while back i was slated for pulling babbyc1000.so much so i don`t bother with this site much now. shooting is under a lot of scrutiny at the minute.i would never slate anyone unless they were being really idiotic in their postings.

It's a public access site with a huge array of different characters - and in that we will have a wide spread of varying opinions - if I decide to put finger to keyboard then I do it under no illusion that I am opening myself up to others thoughts/opinions etc - if for whatever reason I don't like the response then tough, I have shared whatever the post may be - I can't control what some other PW member is going to type so I don't give it much thought - most of the so called negativity, in my opinion, is very much done with tongue in chek and long may it continue. If anyone on here doesn't like a response that doesn't fit in with their way of thinking then don't bother typing on an open forum.....SIMPLES

Another vote for knowing the laws before lifting a gun. Shooting is under enough scruntiny at the minute without giving the anti's any ammo to beat us with. For every post made about doing something wrong you can be sure that it will be magnified at least 10 fold by a group of anti's. Plus as respect for your quarry is another "phrase" used on here so make sure you do respect them.

If I have I didn't advertise them on a public forum. Actually I can't remember ever shooting anything that I shouldn't have.

Whats the point then? If you make a mistake and you come on here and get sympathy and a group hug does that make it ok? Know the law before you pull the trigger. No excuses.

The point is you must have two mouths and one ear!

The OP was not about what he done, it was about the response he got, you are still posting about what he dine! If you want to talk about that go to that thread.

This thread is about the response and Frenchie is right, there are a select few that sit on this site waiting to for something to argue about. We all know the main culprits now dont we!

I think form my own experience of dealing with people that if someone makes a mistake and others go in all guns blazing to criticise and insult instead of constructively pointing out where the mistake was made, they are more likely to carry on doing as before as opposed to changing their ways. Obviously there will always be people who dig straight in with the criticism, but lets not name names.

Good thread. I do try make helpful posts on here if I can, or correct someone's misunderstanding about something which I feel I known enough about to comment on. If I don't know or am not sure, I keep my gob shut! If someone naively posts of wrong doing because they simply don't know, I think it's much better in the first instance to politely and constructively let them know. Not everyone has the advantage of being brought up with country sports and growing up surrounded by mentors, and it must be daunting trying to make headway into what seems to be an impenetrable world of jargon and cliques where you feel people are going rant at you every time you put finger to keyboard. I'm sure most of us have taken up a new activity at some time and gone through a stage where we feel a little unsure of our ground to start with?

Just occasionally however when someone posts something that's so misleading, unethical or even illegal and then refuses to acknowledge it once its been pointed out, it can be difficult to stop the red mist appearing, and joining the subsequent feeding frenzy! To my shame I've been guilty of that, at times. I don't think the lamping pigeons thread fell into that category, I think that was a genuine mistake which the OP recognises and wont do again.

704 yard hare geezer on the other hand definitely falls into the latter category and refuses to acknowledge any issues in what he claims to have done, so is IMHO fair game!

Edited by Blunderbuss