Ford Ranger

Albertan_J

Don`t touch any ford ranger under a 07 / 57, the older models were terrible build/engineering quality and the engines had no power to them and they handled poorly, i had a standard double cab on a 57 plate and it was great, i was actually sad when my company lost the contract and we transferred to the new company to find we then had Astra vans urgh.

I've got a 53 plate Ranger. I've had Toyotas and Nissans in the past and the Ranger is rubbish in comparison.

I recently had a front wheel bearing break up without warning, jamming the driveshaft in the hub and hub carrier. I tried everything to free it before going down the breakers and getting the 3 parts for £160. Ford wanted over £1500.

I would have another one as they are a cheap pick up.

Try and avoid the secondhand ones that have worked on the motorways and gas pipelines etc as they are low mileage and look good but are run in mud slurry all the time. Mine had new brake pipes and rear axle seals and bearings at 4 years old but for under £5K at the time it was a cheap truck. A similar age Toyota would be double.

I have one isn't too bad on the fuel economy. Been to Devon from Essex on just over half a tank, but it's how you drive it I guess. It will soon drink it you have a heavy foot.

I like it so far, had about 7 months and have done about 4000 miles in it with no problem so far. Touch wood!

My 12 year old Mitsubishi Shogun Sport can change from 2WD to 4WD high on the move at up to 60 mph. If you want to change to 4WD low you have to stop though.

Mate of mine works for the National Trust, his latest vehicle is a Ranger and he does not rate it at all. It gets used for all sorts and is not great off road, especially when pulling trailer load of logs out of woodland.