Never know it so quite on the woodies

I passed a couple of small fields of maize today, about 4 acres a piece, sandwiched between a road, school and houses so completely un shootable, but I would guess close to 6-800 birds on each field.........un believable :o Still nothing on the rape till the snow arrives :devil:

Edited by turbo33

After all the snow up north I thought we might see some movement south even our local birds have not really showing any intrest in feeding it very very odd.

Got birds here but not feeding hard at all :hmm: .

Cheers OTH

Still a lot of acorns, beechmast and berries around these parts, so a lot of birds are staying put in the woods, who can blame them ,why risk venturing out onto the rape to risk being shot up by some camo clad lunatic waving a 12 bore, far better to sit tight in the woods and wait for that friendly Gamekeeper to bring bring around the bonus bucket of wheat...yummy..?!! :lol:

Cat.

We are amazed at how few birds we are seeing here too. Nothing on the normal flight lines. I've driven around miles and miles trying to find them - but nothing. They must be hiding in the woods clearing up the remaining berries etc - seems to be the same story all over the place.

I just hope they'll be back around over Christmas when I have a couple of weeks off!

I tried a session on the rooks - very cold, but a great days sport. Good PR with the farmer but nothing to take home for the table :(

Steve

Got big big numbers of pigeons on my permission

not on the rape though, its under the snow

they are all on 2 hedgerows that are packed full fo berrys and in 'little oak' eating the leftover acorns

had more berrys, acorns and crab apples than ever here and they pigeons are loving it

no doubt enough to feed them for another couple of weeks then the snow will hopefully have thawed abit and they will be able to move onto their last resort...the rape!!

Edited by TJ91

We've got some massive flocks up here just now.

I've seen 4 fields this week, one sprout field, 2 fields of winter sheep fodder Broccoli and a harvested field of summer Broccoli which all had 2-3 thousand birds feeding on them. Going to be shooting one of the fields on Saturday.

Mark.

As Mark has said there are lots of fields of sprouts up hear and they are blue with pigeons big flocks of a couple of thousand at a time.

I was out again today and shot another 108 flighting to one field.

I did notice that the doos are in good condition, i think we are getting them in from Scandinavia seen some big flocks coming in from the coast high and then dropping in when they see the first block of trees or sprouts.

I saw a field with 25 acres of standing beans today and it had the biggest flock of pigeons I've ever seen in my life, had to be around 5000 birds on it. It's hard to tell when there are so many.

The farmer started combining it with 3" of snow on the ground and everything frozen solid. :o He said he was desperate to get it in before the pigeons eat it all!

It's the first time ever I've found it hard to hear someone speak because of the noise from pigeons wings above us!! :D

Mark.

Plenty of pigeons about in cornwall seen over 1000 take off 4 fields really thought it was red letter day boy was i wrong just wouldn't decoy wasen't a happy bunny and thats been the same the last few outing's we have been out.Going to try 2morrow but i wont hold my breath.