Anyone use a Straight/Cut Throat Razor?

Curly87

Thinking with the cost of razor replacement these days it looks like an interesting and cheaper way to shave. Anyone use them on a regular basis? Would much rather have the skill to use one than always chucking away old razors.

The only problem is the practice, would like to still have a face by the end of it ! :unsure:

my grandad used to use 1

i tried it once and very nearly slit my face wide open..i didnt realise how sharp they were wen i was younger

dont bother shaving in the iwnter..abit extra fur keeps me warm when out 'fowling and ferting :lol:

Gawd,i wouldnt dare!!! :lol:

One i chap i used to work with had a proper shave with a cut throat by a blind man in India.He reconed it was the closest shave he'd ever had and he didnt cut him once.

Must have been desperate for a shave!! They say its the closest shave you can get

You can buy a cut thoat with a throw a way shape edge just like changing a blade. its been used since Aids & Hep reared their ugly heads.

Had some great shaves in India but you need to see a new blade fitted everytime. :good:

If you want to practise lather up a balloon.

Edited by caballero

there's a little italian barbers in norwich that'll do a wet shave, a tad dear at £25 but it's about the best shave i've had, hot towels, the works! nice expensive aftershave afterwards too.

Had a wet shave every Friday night in Brum after work and before going out when I was a kid. Great start to the weekend. :yes:

Edited by caballero

Get the ambulance on speed dial!

Might just practice in A&E to save them a trip! :lol:

The only time Ive had a shave with a cut throat was also in India, not sure I had a choice in the matter. Only went it for a hair cut and ended up with a shave, an eyelid massage :blink: and a head massage that was done with a massive vibrating cube which he strapped to his hand and got some small child to hold the bare cable in the socket as it had no plug! Good old India!

Might just practice in A&E to save them a trip! :lol:

The only time Ive had a shave with a cut throat was also in India, not sure I had a choice in the matter. Only went it for a hair cut and ended up with a shave, an eyelid massage :blink: and a head massage that was done with a massive vibrating cube which he strapped to his hand and got some small child to hold the bare cable in the socket as it had no plug! Good old India!

Must have been to the same barber in Delhi

Go for a double sided safety razor as a compromise. blades are cheap if you buy through amazon etc.

Less chance of a blood bath!!. Cartridge razors are convenient but an absolute rip off.

:stupid:

I switched to one of these a year ago and I'll never go back. Nice saftey razor and a good badger brush and you'll get a better shave then you ever have and the blades cost about 10 cents US each.

If you want to learn more about what to use and how to use it check out:

My linkhttp://badgerandblade.com/ and Classic Shaving

All the stuff I use is made in the UK so you shouldn't have any problem getting well kitted out. I like the Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving creams and bath soap.

I fancied having a go until I saw Mississippi Burning when Gene Hackman gets that bent cop in the Barbers Chair.

I use a double sided safety razor and a good quality shaving cream. The blades are cheap enough. Its not possible to get an edge on a cutthroat with a strop as sharp as a modern razor blade. :no:

The trick is to get a good lather and really soften the bristle before shaving..