featherd game with a rifle right or wrong

johnny

I feel your missing the point here, The pigeon shooter would be write because a fox is vermin and should be shot on site.

Were as the person out shooting bunnies doesn't need to shoot the pheasnat as obviously its not vermin and should be left for when your out with the shgotgun because if he doesnt shoot it, it doen't make a difference were as the fox will do damage if not shot.

Thats my opinion anyway :):)

Bigoted, inexperienced, Rubbish!!!!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry njc if Ive offended you but reading your first post you said you had got nothing for dinner. also if I find something weird or pointless I dont tend to do it. ok its not illegle but is it right. As for me shooting big paid for days that does not happen I work on a farm not in the city. I do pick up on a big shoot and get a good beaters day for that other than that just small shoots, also your right if you shoot game you should take a brace just out of respect but thats another topic.

cheers

john

Someone run a poll - asking how many of us own our own ground etc.

What makes me laugh is all the talk of pest controllers/vermin shooters V game shooting.

If everybody here was a landowner - then fair enough, preach about vermin/pest shooting and the need for it etc, but the truth is if YOU do not own the land - why do you need to shoot the pests? reason is You enjoy it and there is nothing wrong in it, doing what comes naturally - hunter/ provider, so do not knock game shooting as there is NO difference (except cost :blink: !)

I would not shoot a game bird with a rifle, I think its wrong, and if anyone locally on our grounds did, that would be the end for them shooting here.

The posted video is a disgace,those days are long gone and good job to, however I find it pretty disgusting that a member of PW would post such a thing.

Just me thinking out loud. :yp: peace and out.

Edited by Hot-Shot

I feel your missing the point here, The pigeon shooter would be write because a fox is vermin and should be shot on site.

Were as the person out shooting bunnies doesn't need to shoot the pheasnat as obviously its not vermin and should be left for when your out with the shgotgun because if he doesnt shoot it, it doen't make a difference were as the fox will do damage if not shot.

Thats my opinion anyway :):)

Bigoted, inexperienced, Rubbish!!!!

If you dont like my opinion, go and complain about it somewhere else, your ruining this thread with your pointless comment.

Chap, try justifying or defending or explaining, posts like yours immediately above add nothing, lets take a look............

a fox is vermin and should be shot on site. WHY, I know of situations where the fox is an asset?

Were as the person out shooting bunnies doesn't need to shoot the pheasnat as obviously its not vermin Naive assumption, perhaps not vermin by name but it can be a Pest and can need controlling!

..and should be left for when your out with the shgotgun WHY?

were as the fox will do damage if not shot Ha Ha!

I think that takes care of your entire post, like I said...

"Bigoted, inexperienced, Rubbish"!!!!

..and if you don't like my opinion go and get some experience, you may then see how naive, and ill informed your comments are!

ATB!

Someone run a poll - asking how many of us own our own ground etc.

What makes me laugh is all the talk of pest controllers/vermin shooters V game shooting.

If everybody here was a landowner - then fair enough, preach about vermin/pest shooting and the need for it etc, but the truth is if YOU do not own the land - why do you need to shoot the pests? reason is You enjoy it :hmm::hmm:...and some of us pay the bills that way :good: and there is nothing wrong in it, doing what comes naturally - hunter/ provider, so do not knock game shooting as there is NO difference (except cost :blink: !)

I would not shoot a game bird with a rifle, I think its wrong, and if anyone locally on our grounds did, that would be the end for them shooting here.

The posted video is a disgace,those days are long gone and good job to, however I find it pretty disgusting that a member of PW would post such a thing.

Just me thinking out loud. :yp: peace and out.

the big difference on these arguments, is that it seems "sporting shooters" will slate off anyone who shoots game with anything other than a shotgun at a flying bird, wheras a normal shooter or pestie, will give both weapons merit,and not slate others for using their selected gun on a selected quarry

top man :good:

:good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good:

....and tomorrow I will be at one of the most prestigious shoots in the country again, on 36,000+ acres, three weeks ago a bag of 501 Pheasant were achieved (very good guns), 269 two weeks ago, and last week I don't have the exact numbers but 4 drives on the Pheasant gave around 200 and two different drives on the Partridge gave over 100! 7 or 8 guns and six drives on each shoot!

I'm not used to shoots like this so it's a bit of experience for me, and so is the company, but I will have no problem shooting a Pheasant with a rifle another time if the situation presents!

ATB!:good:

Edited by Dekers

Yes you do have an exclusion there - but I am guessing the larger percentage of posters do not pay the bills from shooting vermin etc. (only the lucky ones :yes: )

I guess you are probably right and I may come at this from a different viewpoint to many.

General comment, not directed at you................

I find it very strange the comments of many, an awful lot of whom read too much, have little or no experience and for some reason simply want to jump on the bandwagon and earn brownie points! :good:

I have made it VERY VERY clear I have no issue with anyone who wants to go on, or pay for a pheasant shoot, neither do I have any issue with anyone who simply wants to rough shoot pheasants etc with a shotgun, indeed I do it myself from time to time (NEVER PAID for a shoot).

I don't take a rifle on a pheasant shoot, (but I wish I did quite often as the deer run) ............but...............

Please, lets not get all holier than thou and suggest no other way of dispatching Game birds is acceptable!

We live in the real world! :good:

I blame the imigrants myself. :oops:

I blame the Cormorants :oops:

Yer both wrong. The cormorants blame the immigrants and the immigrants are now blaming the police for over enthusiasm when defending themselves against winged ground game rampaging whilst protesting.

Hey, what about ostriches. They can't fly. Can we blame them instead? :hmm:

I don't know why people make all this fuss about a so called sporting shot on a pheasant

Maybe because pheasants are reared and shot for sport? People dont spend thousands on rearing pheasants just so people can go out and unsportingly dispose of them with a rifle as if they were vermin.

is it more sporting to drive them in a panic out of the woods into a waiting line of guns.

I personally never have or will attend a driven shoot. I only shoot pheasants when out rough shooting!

I entirely agree with the above statement :good:

If a rabbit is sitting still,do you shoot it or get it moving first !,think you should substitute the word 'sporting' for head start if its game only,if its vermin then blast it to bits with what ever you have seems to be the jist of above posts,i dont know how anyone can define between one creature and another as sport or vermin,other than people pay for sport shooting and us peasants are only allowed to shoot vermin and thats only for the last 100yrs or so.

I only rough/vermin shoot and everything is either eaten/sold or just chucked on the muck heap,i do this because i love shooting and the farms want crop protection.

the big difference on these arguments, is that it seems "sporting shooters" will slate off anyone who shoots game with anything other than a shotgun at a flying bird, wheras a normal shooter or pestie, will give both weapons merit,and not slate others for using their selected gun on a selected quarry top man :good:

So very true Mark :yes:

I cant believe some of the stuff on here. people worry about pheasants craping on golf course's or pecking at sports fields, people go stalking deer because there is nothing in the fridge for lunch but if no deer about shoot pheasants with a deer rifle.

I can believe it :yes: my bro in law has a fish farm and at one point there was talk of stopping INSECTS getting onto the ponds due to 'traceability' issues, i kid you not :blink: , so pheasants no2 ing in the feed bins of any live stock would be a big no no

also i have a stable where i catch up birds, the stable owner does not want pheasant poo in the horse feed due to health issues with the horses ( rightly or wrongly i don't know, his concerns not mine), had 5 from there this week ;) all trapped no shooting allowed

al4x

You are promoting your view as Gospel, it is your view and you are perfectly entitled to it, that does not make others wrong.

Some may simply not want any part of this so called "sport" :no: And it is very rare anyone will take a pheasant on the ground with a rifle on pheasant shoot land anyway, it is the escapees on other land and those that breed from them on surrounding areas that get shot!

There is a STRONG argument that Pheasant shoots are artificial and cruel, frankly I struggle to find much pleasure in shooting at half tame birds, reared from chicks and put up in the path of guns by a line of beaters, and many not even bothering with the birds afterwords.But if that excites anyone then it's fine by me.

Shooting a game bird on the ground with a rifle may not excite some, (it rarely excites me, but it happens) and frankly many will not get a chance anyway, they simply have to pay daft money to stand in a line and shoot them when they fly over.

I'm not quite sure where this thread is going, but I expect nowhere! :hmm:

ATB! :good:

I've seen game shooters who care so much for those birds that they won't even acknowledge how many shot or where they dropped, just so they can have more sport, shameful :/

I really don't get this! It's not illegal to shoot a Pheasant with a rifle so what's the problem? Someone above slated me for shooting a Pheasant with my Deer rifle and for saying that I go Deer stalking because the fridge is empty. Well to whoever that was, good for you for being able to go out on a paid day, shoot a Deer/Pheasant at stupid cost and then leave the carcass with your guide to go to the game dealer. That's not how I play the game I'm afraid.

I shoot because I enjoy it but I also shoot for food. I'll only shoot a Deer if there's room for it in the freezer and if I see a Pheasant on a quiet day I will take it with my rifle. Get over it, I'm not breaking any rules! All this "holier than thou" attitude will be the downfall of shooting.

As much as I don't like it you don't hear me slagging off people that go out and shoot 100 Pheasants without taking a single one home. They go somewhere and are consumed by someone so it's ok, but to me it's no more sporting than smacking one with a rifle and eating it. At least I'm shooting it for a reason other than fun?

I can't think of a better reason :good::good::good:

I have a book somewhere with european shooting in it, shooting all sorts of winged game with the rifle, perfectly acceptable over there and their not worried about lacs eh?

dekers good to hear you are learning about game shooting on a decent shoot. Please can you take your rifle along on cock day and post what the response is?

Come on al4x, I have not made any suggestion whatsoever about using a rifle on a Pheasant shoot!

.....and unless I have missed something here neither has anyone else.

I am not for one second suggesting you swap your 12g for a rifle on a shoot!

:good:

PS

I'm just back, 223 Pheasant, 124 Partridge and 2 Woodcock, plus a handful of pigeon and crow, 8 guns today and 6 drives. I should add this is NOT a commercial shoot, this is VERY PRIVATE and in the words of the Head Gamekeeper, "we are in the entertainment business" :good:

Saw about 350-400 Reds, around 20 Muntjac, 2 or 3 Roe and loads of rabbit and hare!

...and yes, I'm learnig a lot, this place is a whole new world to me! :good:

Edited by Dekers

Come on al4x, I have not made any suggestion whatsoever about using a rifle on a Pheasant shoot!

.....and unless I have missed something here neither has anyone else.

I am not for one second suggesting you swap your 12g for a rifle on a shoot!

:good:

PS

I'm just back, 223 Pheasant, 124 Partridge and 2 Woodcock, plus a handful of pigeon and crow, 8 guns today and 6 drives. I should add this is NOT a commercial shoot, this is VERY PRIVATE and in the words of the Head Gamekeeper, "we are in the entertainment business" :good:

Saw about 350-400 Reds, around 20 Muntjac, 2 or 3 Roe and loads of rabbit and hare!

...and yes, I'm learnig a lot, this place is a whole new world to me! :good:

Out of interest, what happened to the birds? Game dealer?

There is a lot of inexperience being banded about here, I shoot many a Pheasant on the ground with a rifle, a few Partridge and lots of Geese for Pest Control reasons.

I also occasionally go on Pheasant Shoots with a shotgun, they are different things, and on the whole bore me!

Game birds get shot for pest control and with a rifle, by me and many others.

Lets stop all this rubbish about being sporting, giving them a chance, etc etc, if I'm out shooting at anything, for any reason, I want every advantage I can get, and I will take it, I'm not in the business of giving any quarry a chance, if I pull the trigger I want whatever is in the sights stopped! :good:

If you have problems and want to give the bird a chance then stop shooting, you have far more chance of pricking and injuring a bird with a shotgun than a rifle, just what is sporting about that!

With your views on game shooting why would you want to go? was it the lure of a big day?

As far as I am aware you are allowed to take game with any sort of weapon, you just have to comply with the game laws. As far a shooting birds up trees with a rifle then the sky makes a pretty poor backstop so it would be wise not to. Personally I found pigeons very hard to stop with a air rifle up trees, head shots are not always on and the heart is very well covered behind the massive crop. Never tried with a rimmy on safety issues.

A