New chainsaw purchased

rob4586

Husqvarna & Stihl are the two best makes around - we use both - but yes, the safety kit - ALL OF IT is a total must. I had a saw bounce on me last year and boy was I glad of the safety trousers - the fibres stopped the chain instantly!

Good luck and take care

Husqvarna & Stihl are the two best makes around - we use both - but yes, the safety kit - ALL OF IT is a total must. I had a saw bounce on me last year and boy was I glad of the safety trousers - the fibres stopped the chain instantly!

Good luck and take care

Yup some people just don't realise how lethal they're. I currently wear husqvarna 9 layers chaps but thinking about some trousers soon but im told chaps are perfectly fine.

Touch wood, never had to test them yet! :)

Too right - I have seen some people out with chainsaws - they just do not have a clue what they are doing - an accident waiting to happen. In some countries, I think it is compulsory to go on a chainsaw course AND take a test - not a bad idea at all - what do PW members think??

Too right - I have seen some people out with chainsaws - they just do not have a clue what they are doing - an accident waiting to happen. In some countries, I think it is compulsory to go on a chainsaw course AND take a test - not a bad idea at all - what do PW members think??

Walking to the shops the other day there was someone using a chainsaw above his head on a ladder! No PPE for chainsaw! I swiftly moved on :no:

I think it is compulsory to go on a chainsaw course AND take a test - not a bad idea at all - what do PW members think??

I believe it is here for commercial use. But with argos sellling petrol saws with no PPE what can you do? My dad bought a Husq last year (2009) he got the gloves and helmet (never assembled the helmet) for Xmas he got chaps and boots thanks to PW! :good:

I believe it is here for commercial use. But with argos sellling petrol saws with no PPE what can you do? My dad bought a Husq last year (2009) he got the gloves and helmet (never assembled the helmet) for Xmas he got chaps and boots thanks to PW! :good:

Ahh does someone sell em on here? My dad needs some new ones sometime! :P

Ahh does someone sell em on here? My dad needs some new ones sometime! :P

I got them from the Sales section good deal too keep an eye out as there quite a few Pro users on here and i think now they have to use trousers rather than chaps for HSE regs so might pick up some chaps cheap.

I think they are a good saw for cutting logs etc

As said before on this thread I would strong recommend doing a course such as NPTC Chainsaw CS30, this would cover basic maintenance and cross cutting with the saw, if you wanted to do felling also take CS31 felling small trees or the LANTRA equivialent if you don't fancy doing a practical test.

Husky good saw but the real pain for a regualr user is they need alot of tools to keep in fettle in the field.

Stihl you can take apart with the spark plug spanner thingy they provide.

Also stihl have outbore clutchs system where the huskys has inbore a pain in the backside to service change.

And as stated chaps are now outlawed by HSE for pro user and I think you should not be able to buy they new only used ones from ebay etc.

Cheers be safe OTH

I went and did one. I was the only privste individual on the course. Its a nice idea but not enforcable, it won't stop people using them. plus the course was pricy and would put people off. I would rsther say that any commericail seller was required by law to give a 10 min demo on use and safety gear requirements which they need to retain proof of and make available for inspection. Its not right that one csn be bought off the shelf without any warning. Some people are stupid enough to need protecting from theirselves. I think DIY Electric chainsaws should involve even more manatory instructions because the standard type of PPE is not designed to work with them.

Dan

Scrapped my McCulloch 3 years ago after 15 years of service, useless compared with new saws.

Bought a Stihl MS170 2 years ago, excellent.

Bought a Husky 340e last month, excellent.

For basic logging use common sense and don't take any risks.

Like guns there is only a dangerous user not a dangerous gun or chainsaw.

Forgot to say change the rubber dampers regularly ever 6 months to minumize vibration to your hands .User forget they get worn and then dont notice the excessive vibrations can lead to white finger etc.

Regards OTH

Edited by Over the hill

Have got a husqy 430 runs sweet as a nut good on fuel £20 for a new blade hard working ,like a gun I love the balance ,apparently if your mix is out it will still run,but ain't tried that,as a side note I bought a 20" saw off of flea bay for big trunks for £85 delivered and can't fault it oregan blade supplied and started first pull and runs well if it's lasts a year won't be bad

Have got a husqy 430 runs sweet as a nut good on fuel £20 for a new blade hard working ,like a gun I love the balance ,apparently if your mix is out it will still run,but ain't tried that,as a side note I bought a 20" saw off of flea bay for big trunks for £85 delivered and can't fault it oregan blade supplied and started first pull and runs well if it's lasts a year won't be bad

Yup, this is an 18" bar for felling.

Cracking saw mate, you've chosen well, I have the 455 rancher and it hasn't missed a beat. You won't go wrong with the Husky, just bear in mind that your 35cc Husky and also the equivalent Stihl has a LOT more power than the same capacity Ryobi, McCulloch etc. it's a proper bit of kit! :good: Be safe with it, use your bonce and you'll have many hours of service from it.

Cracking saw mate, you've chosen well, I have the 455 rancher and it hasn't missed a beat. You won't go wrong with the Husky, just bear in mind that your 35cc Husky and also the equivalent Stihl has a LOT more power than the same capacity Ryobi, McCulloch etc. it's a proper bit of kit! :good: Be safe with it, use your bonce and you'll have many hours of service from it.

Cheers mate, yeah I saw it's a 41cc and thought will it be much better than other makes. But I've been informed they provide a lot more power!

Cheers,

Rob

I used a 455 when I did my course, that was a really nice saw, but im a stihl man got six of them :yp: :good: