Fly Fishing Advise

Spaniel

HI

For many years i have enjoyed all types of fishing but of late most of my time as been taken up by shooting and the dogs etc.

But the more I hear about fly fishing makes me want to give it ago.

I have no idea about fly rods, lines etc so any basic info would be appreciated

Cheers

It can either be fairly straight forward or massively complicated - depending on who you listen to and what sort of person you are.

A bit like shooting, some just get on with it, and others prefer to spend all their time fiddling about.

First question would be, where are you looking to fish?

Stream

River

Small stillwater

Larger waters / reservoirs

Fly fishing tackle, rod/reel/line has an AFTM number, you need each to match to it all to work.

Going down that list the lower you get the higher the number you would tend to use.

HI

For many years i have enjoyed all types of fishing but of late most of my time as been taken up by shooting and the dogs etc.

But the more I hear about fly fishing makes me want to give it ago.

I have no idea about fly rods, lines etc so any basic info would be appreciated

Cheers

Being as you would be starting from scratch and are so close to Chew Valley I would consider one of the Bristol Water Lesson days: http://www.bristolwater.co.uk/fishing/lessons/index.asp It would give you the basics and you'll likely know from those few hours whether fly fishing is your cup of tea or not. Other than that I would say try and find someone experienced who would show you the ropes and point you in the right direction with tackle should you decide to take it up - it would save you a lot of time and more importantly money in the long run - there's alot of expensive gear out there that you'll likely never need - but only experience will tell you what is a waste of money as opposed to value for money.

If all else fails some fishing clubs hold open days where you can go along and have a go - I'm not sure BRFFA run such days or not (there are others in your area too) but the club members I know of there would, I'm sure, go out of their way to help a newcommer.

Edited by paul99

Thanks Guys

I would say mainly Rivers to be honest,maybe having a bit of fun on the Pike and Barbel that sort of thing, dont think i would be interested in fishing for trout on large lakes/reservoirs well not at prsent anyway.

There are so many choices with fly fishing and each requires different equipment.

In Somerset there are loads of lakes that you can fly fish for a fee and some rivers that are stocked but these are usually club waters and can be expensive.

As I live near to you (BS49) and have a garrage full of fly fishing kit, PM me your contact details and I should be able to put you on the right track regarding the correct gear for the fishing that you want to take up.

I can also teach you the basics if you wish but would suggest that waits till the weather improves and we can get on to a lake near to us.

Regards

Chairman

I haven't done it, but I would say fly fishing for pike may be a tricky introduction to the sport.

You will need to be able to cast large lures, massive in some cases, which even intermediate casters may struggle with?

I would be interested to here what anyone else thinks...

its not really what fly fishing is about, if you want to go pike fishing go pike fishing, if you want to go after trout etc then go fly fishing :good:

i think you should first book a casting lesson at a trout fishery close to you, I recomended doing this to my Doctor when he expressed an interest in trying fly fishing, he enjoyed the afternoon, caught fish and is now a fly fisherman, bonus is you don't need to buy tackle just to see if you like it, plus you get taught to cast properly, you also get advice on buying the correct tackle.

don't think the barbel is a good fish to target with the fly unless its a garden fly

supersport

super sport i agree ,get ones self acouple of fly casting lessons or afriend who can spend some time with you an has olot of rubbish flies to lose .

Most i have spent on a trout fly rod is £8 ,dont be seduced by fancy rods etc an prices to match ,if you have a decent casting action you can cast with any rod/line. A really relaxing pastime though,i can only chill an relax myself once i have a couple in the bag though :lol:

Thanks Guys

I would say mainly Rivers to be honest,maybe having a bit of fun on the Pike and Barbel that sort of thing, dont think i would be interested in fishing for trout on large lakes/reservoirs well not at prsent anyway.

love fly fishing for pike ,very exciting

I have fly-fished for around thirty years, most of that conventional trout fishing. Over the kast five years or so I have concentrated entirely on wild fishing, that is on free, often urban waters for coarse fish and in estuaries and the sea for sea species. Catching a wily chub on a wet fly or snatching dace on the top using a tiny EHC fly is in my opinion far more satisfying than hauling a leaded lure at a trout reservoir. There are many rivers and lakes where fishing is free. You just have to get off your ***** and do some research.

Fly-fishing for barbel and mullet is not the way to start. It drive you to insanity. :crazy:

Fly-fishing for pike is not my favourite method either. The rod and line have to be strong enough to throw the budgie sized lure and often overpower the dozens of jack pike that outnumber the few decent sized fish.

Chub fishing is a good way to start if you can find a small river. Summer and autumn is best though.

Chubonfly.jpg

Harlington_Chub.jpg

Dearne_Chub_WoollyBugger.jpg

If you live near a muddy estuary this time of year is good for flounders. All you need is a brown woolly ****** or similar fly;

WoollyBugger-BrownFritz2.jpg

Edited by UKPoacher

Look up you local APGAI instructor (before you buy anything) book some lessons, for Pike you should get to the double hauling stage its essential for those big flies. He will not only show you how very well and quickly but prevent you wasting lots of money on the wrong gear. Dont listen to a mate, generally you will only learn thier bad habits to add to your own. It aint that difficult if you get the right start and great fun (especially those pike) :good:

Be prepared to start something thats very difficult to stop!

Once a fit Trout or completely wild fish has pulled your string on a Trout Rod, all other fishing will pretty much stop.

There is something totally magical about taking a fish off the surface, especially if you tie your own flies.

I've fished all my life, I started fly fishing about 17 years ago and I've only got my coarse gear out a few times since then - mainly to introduce my sons to simple fishing. I've also just joined a small trout syndicate within walking distance of my house, so I've told my wife that once the lake thaws, she's not gonna see me much at the weekends ;-)

As the others have mentioned, Chew and Lechlade are good places to start - go for a guide and a lesson, you will definitely benefit from it and enjoy the day!

Good luck.

Dan73

Absolute tosh mate!

Well said that man, I have caught pike on the fly and it is great sport not the easiest way to fly fish but great fun. The best fish that i have taken on a fly rod was a 26 lb common carp, not actually caught on a fly as i was using a single chum mixer superglued on a size 8. Wonder what the purists will say about that :lol::lol:

Very nice indeed, but how do you fly for the flatties, i just thought they were bottom feeders on worm,

Flounder are sight feeders and are actually quite predatory. They will take crabs, fish and worms and will chase lures. The way I fish is with a #5 or #6 sink tip fly line and a weighted fly like these;

BlennyFly.jpg

WoollyBugger-BrownFritz2.jpg

The first is a Blenny imitation (or Bullhead when fished in rivers for trout and chub ;) )and the second looks like a worm. The fly is cast up stream, allowed to sink as it drifts down and then tweaked along the bottom in sharp jerks so it puffs up the silt. You can catch them on fry imitations like clousers too especially in early summer when fry is about.

Flounder2.jpg