Roe Leg Bones..

Norrie

Can't see why it would be a problem. I think cooking them is a bad idea as it makes them splinter? Raw bones are fine, or at least the dog in the local gun shop always has a Roe leg on the go. Skin, fur and all! :good:

LOL, Thanks...:) Great stuff, that'll do me, and Bonnie...:)Might whip the foreleg off tho, new carpets, wife etc etc...:) Bad enough cutting it up on the worktops...LOL...:)

Hi Norrie, I was talking to the guy in Bushwear today & he was saying his dog eats the Roe legs (skin & all) :good:

ps; I was offered 8 legs for £15 - do you think thats too Dear :hmm:;)

It is if its just the cleeves :unsure: , it not if its for full back legs with the haunch still attached :lol:

Badoom Tish!!!! Tam, yer jokes are dreadful mate...:) BTW, Bonnie loved the Bones,(Skin on ) couldnt it back off her till she was finished...:)

Forgot I had this pic on my phone..:)She took this off me in the kitchen, and ran through to the living room with it...as she does , dropped it, played with it for a while, then got tore in to it...:)

phonepics071-1.jpg

But, can I ask ?, what is it about Venison, Bonnie has never eaten raw meat,i.e. Lamb,chicken,beef etc.. she wont eat it...but some small scraps of venison fell on the kitchen floor, she was away with them....any ideas??

Edited by Norrie

Well she's not a young dog and she's not used to it. Would her stomach even be ok with a big portion of raw meat? I'd say if you want her to eat more of it then build her up slowly. Add a couple of small pieces to her food regularly and she'll get the hang of it I'd say. She'll also pick up the idea if you keep giving her bones. :good:

EDIT... Having re-read it I think I got the wrong end of the stick.... :oops:

Venison smells nice raw. Perhaps stuff that's been processed and wrapped for days in plastic isn't as appealing to something with a nose as sensitive as hers?!

Edited by njc110381

I have 2 working cockers, 3yr & 7 mths. the older dog can crush bones and spit out any bits he doesn't like - been eating squirrels since a pup, now jnr is eating rabbit and other bones. I found raw rabbit leg bones do crush to splinters but they seam to cope. We had a muntie leg for dinner last night and the dogs shares the bones, thge pup picked up a small piece broken off by the bigger dog, I tried to get it out of his mouth but accidently pushed in down his troat - bit worried but all ok this morning. Leaving a collection of lamb bones for the pup who always seams to have one in his mouth saves other home damage including the 'alarm clock' - somehow he managed to change the time and reset the alarm to go off at 1:00am

One mans dog tried to swallow a 'parsons nose' one christmas and choked to death, the risk is there but dogs love bones

Edited by Conygree

Good question from the OP as you never know...

I mate lost his spaniel after eating lamb bones. I didn't know lamb can be a problem with some dogs; the vet said he sees it many times each year.

Can any dog owners shed any light on this ?

Rabbit leg bone will splinter raw and my dogs seam to manage, but lamb 'chop' bones cooked leave hard spikes - must be harder. My 6mth pup loves to knaw on old cooked lamb leg bones. must admit I worry about the pup with bones as he's abit of a pig with food whereas the older dog is selective and spits out splinters.

raw bones are fine as they don't splinter, cooked bones do splinter so you don't feed them simple!

Hiya, Thats what I was told recently...dont feed them cooked bones.. :yes:

Bonnie chomped on that leg bone till the wife told me to take it off her..it was annoying her ( the wife), and she wasnt too happy having it in the living room..LOL.....so, Bonnie will get the leg bones as an occasional wee treat from now on..:)

Raw bones yes, but never give a dog (or cat) cooked bones. Splinter and can cause perforations, oespophagous, bowel etc.

Lamb bones a very high in calcium which the kidneys have a hard time dealing with, which in some dogs can cause health issues.

Lamb bones are fine in moderation :good:

A few years ago, one of my dogs, a GSD pinched the stash of lambbones and **** white the next day :oops:

Edited by The Duncan

A few years ago, one of my dogs, a GSD pinched the stash of lambbones and **** white the next day :oops:

Ahhh, Is that why I saw so many pure white s41ts on the canal tow path when I worked for British Waterways??? Now it figures...:)

Edited by Norrie

Hiya, Thats what I was told recently...dont feed them cooked bones.. :yes:

Bonnie chomped on that leg bone till the wife told me to take it off her..it was annoying her ( the wife), and she wasnt too happy having it in the living room..LOL.....so, Bonnie will get the leg bones as an occasional wee treat from now on..:)

Our dogs like to be social when eating, so often will eat a rabbit under the dinning table - to us it's normal but the crunchy sounds put off guests :unsure: