New DVLA law

masterzone2

Checked in on another forum today turns out without saying anything

that the DVLA have posted in a stealth law.

If your car is taxed you must keep the Insurance running or renew

REGARDLESS if you are or are not using it on the road.

the only way around this is to return your tax disc and declare a S.O.R.N

The directgov website just states the law and gives NO allowance time period

To me (MY opinion BTW) this is another Joke of a law similar to the 1997 handgun ban

They don't even give to the chance to so a S.O.R.N type thing with the insurance

remember this only applies if the car is taxed If you have a S.O.R.N car off road your ok

I think its the insurance companies trying tom scam us out of more money.

Surely if it's taxed... it's on the road and should be insured?

Mmmmm no,

EG: Your car insurance runs out today but its still taxed until the end of the month, you want to do some work on it thats going to take you a few weeks as you dont have much time due to work, family etc, its off the road and not being used. As of tomorrow you have now broken the law as its not insured. Whats the point in insuring it for a few weeks/month when your not using it???

Also lots of people who work over seas park car off road and suspend the insurance while away (removing the 3rd aspect but it keeps fire and theft intact and NCD) then when back they phone up and put it back on due to the way SORN works its not efficient if your away for 4-6 weeks at a time to keep returning the disc and loosing on the rebate. Perhaps its a way to be able to fine people who haven't done anything wrong rather than actually catch those driving with no insurance, licence, MOT, TAX etc

Edited by HDAV

Perhaps its a way to be able to fine people who haven't done anything wrong rather than actually catch those driving with no insurance, licence, MOT, TAX etc

This is bad news. Many will buy a car, transfer the insurance to the new one and keep the old one taxed until sold - I wonder how many will inadvertently fall fail without even knowing?

Two very valid points IMO :yes:

This is bad news. Many will buy a car, transfer the insurance to the new one and keep the old one taxed until sold - I wonder how many will inadvertently fall fail without even knowing?

Good point, well made.

Might be worth shooting off an e-mail to the DVLA and see how they expect that to work?

It always worries me when government agencies get into bed with profit making organisations, and we all know what shysters insurance companies are. :yes:

Good point, well made.

Might be worth shooting off an e-mail to the DVLA and see how they expect that to work?

It always worries me when government agencies get into bed with profit making organisations, and we all know what shysters insurance companies are. :yes:

Agreed, it's a worry.

I have no time for uninsured drivers but the key word there is 'drivers'. We're hardly bothered by those with a taxed car sat in a garage while the owner waits for his ad to work its magic on Auto trader.

The offence of 'driving' without insurance should surely be 'found committing', ie they should be caught in the act. It now seems we risk being criminalised regardless of whether the car's being driven or not :no:

This is the problem I have found

I will be transferring my trucks insurance to my shogun

both are taxed.

the Shogun IS NOT BEING driven ATM and I will need to sell the truck at some point soon

I believe its like the F.A.C/S.G.C rules it another way of getting people to say **** this

and not bother with cars.

I did just put it here as its the motoring bit it may be better in another section I'll leave it to the

Pigeonwatch mods to do that.

It now seems we risk being criminalised regardless of whether the car's being driven or not :no:

And as far as I can see it's only the insurance companies who benefit. Oh, and the government who get their VAT from the premiums.

I can't work out how it will actually reduce uninsured drivers on the roads. :hmm:

A little more about it here: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/motoring-news/ministers-clamp-down-on-britains-uninsured-drivers-2179745.html#

Edited by poontang

The government just want more and more out of us drivers,

The AA said today, with average premiums up 14% since last October

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1255178/Car-insurance-premiums-rise-12-year--safest-drivers.html

Thats a very old article, from march last year.

That being said it holds true...with over 10 years NCD..(the most they will allow me ?) my insurance on a RAV4 has gone from £240 to £325 for the year.

Thats some increase. More up to date article and it seems the start date for this is to be March this year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1345434/New-clampdown-uninsured-drivers-Government-vows-tough-reckless-drivers.html

Edited by Sprackles