essex shooters

It's a shame that the best shoot in Essex appears to be the one that never was, which was the one run by Phil Moss.

The first one about 5 months ago was terrible, over subscribed and lots of problems with trap failures - most gave up before they got round.

The second shoot, well the targets were fantastic rolling hills bordered by farm and woodland, the traps all worked but the problem was no one went back - it was really quiet and under subscribed from what I could see in the car park. Also, there was no "system" of telling the shooters when and where the next one would be i.e. no website or mention on forums. I think he ran maybe one or two more but haven't heard a thing since and it looks like it's died and it would be a real shame if it did.

I hope he has another stab at it and gets the teething thing sorted - oh, and the other bug bear was that the scorers were teenagers who really weren't that fussed and who had no eye or experience for actually properly watching and scoring.

I do reckon that the Essex / Kent area will sustain more regular shoots now. I shot JJ's competition shoot this morning and shot 4 stands over about 2 hours and then gave up. The remaining stands were 20 shooters deep queuing and I lost the will to live and so gave up and came home. It's a well laid out shoot, professionally run and well catered - it's going to become a victim of its own success though. I wonder if they could get any of the surrounding land and add on more stands?

Hey ho...

It's a shame that the best shoot in Essex appears to be the one that never was, which was the one run by Phil Moss.

The first one about 5 months ago was terrible, over subscribed and lots of problems with trap failures - most gave up before they got round.

The second shoot, well the targets were fantastic rolling hills bordered by farm and woodland, the traps all worked but the problem was no one went back - it was really quiet and under subscribed from what I could see in the car park. Also, there was no "system" of telling the shooters when and where the next one would be i.e. no website or mention on forums. I think he ran maybe one or two more but haven't heard a thing since and it looks like it's died and it would be a real shame if it did.

I hope he has another stab at it and gets the teething thing sorted - oh, and the other bug bear was that the scorers were teenagers who really weren't that fussed and who had no eye or experience for actually properly watching and scoring.

I do reckon that the Essex / Kent area will sustain more regular shoots now. I shot JJ's competition shoot this morning and shot 4 stands over about 2 hours and then gave up. The remaining stands were 20 shooters deep queuing and I lost the will to live and so gave up and came home. It's a well laid out shoot, professionally run and well catered - it's going to become a victim of its own success though. I wonder if they could get any of the surrounding land and add on more stands?

Hey ho...

Phil moss did run a 3rd shoot at the same venue, you are right in saying the second shoot was under subscribed.We spoke to phil after the second shoot & he was dissapointed and wasnt gonna be bothered with another shoot but scott said that he convinced phil to try again & the 3rd shoot had a lot more entries & only the weather probably made a few more stay away, like you say that ground where the shoot was enabled some excellent targets to be presented with only a few traps in view of the shooters in the cages.

I heard a few saying it was too hard for the less experianced shooter but i spoke to him & he seems to have a passion for puting on a good variety & mixture of sporting targets, him & scott greenfield have done a lot of shooting between them.

Phil m said to us that he will start having a shoot again after the game shooting season & will see how the attendances go to see if he will carry on....if people attend the shoots they will continue, if they dont attend then it will be another loss for sporting shooters in essex i spose which will be a shame because i think they were good shoots, albeit the 1st one was over subscribed as they allowed for 90 entries inc reentries & had 150 +.

But that really is the secret isn't it?

If noone knows when the shoots are being held how can they turn up. If you know Phil Moss and can contact him tell him to sign up on here and let us know when they will be on. I know lots of people who will be looking for a fix at the moment.

But that really is the secret isn't it?

If noone knows when the shoots are being held how can they turn up. If you know Phil Moss and can contact him tell him to sign up on here and let us know when they will be on. I know lots of people who will be looking for a fix at the moment.

I saw him at a game shoot just before xmas where i was beating, he was loading & coaching someone on a driven pheasant day, i spoke to him briefly & asked where he advertises his shoots & he told me in the local gun shops, pull mag & on the essex cpsa commitee website

(evidently he used to be the chairman, i here from others that he did lots of good things & still has lots of contacts)

He said he is looking to have a shoot in march, but wants the land to dry out a bit first...dunno if he will bother with this tho !!, he seems a no noncense, straight to the point kinda guy, but allways has a smile & up for a laugh....thats what the keeper said to me after i had spoken to him ??

What would more clay shooters like to see at shoots at all level and make you return to that shoot again?????

hi i think if a shoot is made too hard for the lower class shooter they give up and not want to return for a while.

They are the bread and butter for shooting grounds as there are a lot more A B & C Class shots than there is AA or AAA more shooters more prize money.

to get this balance right isnt easy but we are all there to break clays and no one enjoys a bad score card it only takes one or two hard stand to sort the men from the boys in the high classes

so i think its best to set up for the lower class shooter so every one enjoys the day not easy but i think that is what is needed to get guns on stands once you have the guns and higher prize money you will draw them in from all over and then all you need is a good breakfast good prices and friendly people and you have one hell of a shoot.

Well thats what i think anyway hope this helps...

If Phil Moss is reading this he wants to:

1. get a website or at least put word round his mates who post on the shooting forums - also confirm which ground is going to be used - I think he uses a couple of grounds - the First shoot he did, well the ground was very dull, the 2nd (somewhere between Billericay and Dunton) with the hills /wood was very good. Anyways, because of the lack of communication when I went to shoot the 2nd shoot, I turned up to the 1st ground. I probably wasn't alone in making that mistake.

Also, the advertising in gun shops bit is helpful (for word of mouth) but if you buy your carts in bulk, then you may not regularly visit your local gun shop.

2. pick a date that makes sense - I would suggest the alternative Sunday to when Copfurn runs and when there's no registered events for +50 miles (well, that could be any Sunday in Essex hey Cat?). When Copfurn shuts, no one likes the slog to the 3 Acres Ground which is in the middle of nowhere - incidentally the 3 Acres Ground is the one that newbies want to go to because the layout is always simple (the ground itself doesn't lend itself for anything exciting).

3. Make it at least an 80 birder.

There is still a balance. If the event is over subcribed and you get big queues and trap failures then people get hacked off.

Saying that, there's plenty on here who would turn up and shoot it and there's plenty over in Kent on the haybale circuit that would as well.

If Phil Moss is reading this he wants to:

1. get a website or at least put word round his mates who post on the shooting forums - also confirm which ground is going to be used - I think he uses a couple of grounds - the First shoot he did, well the ground was very dull, the 2nd (somewhere between Billericay and Dunton) with the hills /wood was very good. Anyways, because of the lack of communication when I went to shoot the 2nd shoot, I turned up to the 1st ground. I probably wasn't alone in making that mistake.

Also, the advertising in gun shops bit is helpful (for word of mouth) but if you buy your carts in bulk, then you may not regularly visit your local gun shop.

2. pick a date that makes sense - I would suggest the alternative Sunday to when Copfurn runs and when there's no registered events for +50 miles (well, that could be any Sunday in Essex hey Cat?). When Copfurn shuts, no one likes the slog to the 3 Acres Ground which is in the middle of nowhere - incidentally the 3 Acres Ground is the one that newbies want to go to because the layout is always simple (the ground itself doesn't lend itself for anything exciting).

3. Make it at least an 80 birder.

There is still a balance. If the event is over subcribed and you get big queues and trap failures then people get hacked off.

Saying that, there's plenty on here who would turn up and shoot it and there's plenty over in Kent on the haybale circuit that would as well.

As you have all these great ideas for phil moss & his shoots why dont you ring him & tell him...... :no::no::no:

just found his previous shoot flyers which clearly identify the differant ground locations along with the post code.....the number shown is 07836 676654.Im sure he is open to suggestions from such a experianced shot as you !!!!

All of the shoots have been posted on the essex cpsa website as well www.essexcpsa.co.uk

The 1st ground at stock wasnt as picturesque as the land at herongate but there was nothing wrong with the targets !!!!

Regarding the dates, well there will allways be a clash with something...and not everybody has the finances to shoot 80 birds, thats why its a re-entry shoot !!!

You seem very defensive of any constructive criticism don't you? Surely the easiest way to get people to support a shoot is to let them know it is on and where?

Or is that too difficult?

I will phone and find out as it is too hard for you to do, especially as you claim to know Phil Moss.

I will keep you posted

I have just had a conversation with Phil Moss and his shoots will be starting again early march. The grounds that he uses are suffering from the standing water at the moment and they need to dry out.

He has my number and he will text me when the shoots are going to start, he also is going to have a basic website up and running as well.

Watch this space as they say

As you have all these great ideas for phil moss & his shoots why dont you ring him & tell him...... :no::no::no:

just found his previous shoot flyers which clearly identify the differant ground locations along with the post code.....the number shown is 07836 676654.Im sure he is open to suggestions from such a experianced shot as you !!!!

All of the shoots have been posted on the essex cpsa website as well www.essexcpsa.co.uk

The 1st ground at stock wasnt as picturesque as the land at herongate but there was nothing wrong with the targets !!!!

Regarding the dates, well there will allways be a clash with something...and not everybody has the finances to shoot 80 birds, thats why its a re-entry shoot !!!

You are quite the strange one aren't you :rolleyes:

Picking up on your points:

1. the previous shoot flyers

If you missed a shoot, how would you know when the next one was? Obviously you have to be there to get a flyer, don't you? Point fail.

2. CPSA website

I'm not a member of the CPSA. Indeed, none of the dozen or so people I shoot with every week or the people on my shooting syndicate are. Point fail.

3. Phil Moss' phone number

Thank you for providing it, however, as per the above, how would I have his number or he have my number? It may have been on an old flyer but funnily enough I don't keep or file historic shoot flyers. I see you keep old flyers; good for you. Point fail.

4. Date clash

It didn't seem like a ridiculous suggestion and was put forward as a very basic first step, to ensure that the next shoot did not clash with another good and established shoot that will be shooting on the same day and less than 5 miles away as the crow flies. Common sense fail.

5. An 80 bird shoot

It's the norm for local good haybales e.g. JJs (84 / 96 bird), Shrove Hill (70 bird), Copfurn (80 bird) and that other one in Dartford that's not the Dartford Clay Shooting Club 80 odd birds.

50 birds is a bit "light" for a decent shoot. Point fail, unless you have some examples for us?

6. My "great ideas"

Well, they were merely suggestions and ideas that I hoped would improve the shoot. They can be taken or left...

Obviously if it was all going so swimmingly well for the shoot we wouldn't be having this discussion on this thread and the shoot would be running every week and jam packed (like Copfurn, JJs, Shrove Hill etc....).

Ironic score. Serious point fail.

Edited by Mungler

I'm afraid Rangermans point makes perfect sense to anybody who knows anything about the clay shooting scene in Essex, all of the information is available for anybody who has access to that Interweb net thingy...........it's all there in black and white via the CPSA website.

As a lapsed "short term" member, even you have access to it, even to check you are still classified in "A" class.

Total Fail. :lol:

Cat.

Oh here we go, mr patronising **** banging on about knowing all there is to know about clay shooting in Essex.

Why don't you just jog the stuck needle and move on a bit?

We were discussing finding out about shoots, We (Or certainly I) could give two ****s about your opinion.

I'm afraid Rangermans point makes perfect sense to anybody who knows anything about the clay shooting scene in Essex, all of the information is available for anybody who has access to that Interweb net thingy...........it's all there in black and white via the CPSA website.

As a lapsed "short term" member, even you have access to it, even to check you are still classified in "A" class.

Total Fail. :lol:

Cat.

Cat, your post is on a narrow issue about advertising the shoot on the CPSA website. Alas, that is not a website that I or anyone serious about enjoying their shooting frequent :lol:

I thought you would have had more to say on the other aspects like only a 50 bird event; after all, we know you love a haybale and (apparently) have successfully run one. I suppose this maybe different because it could be a pseudo CPSA affiliated haybale :lol:

Indeed, for someone who has been quite vocal on the subject of biffa haybales and how dangerous they are and how poorly put on and how they wouldn't make the grade in CPSA etc, I am still digesting the news today that you actually love haybales and have run one. More on this later... :lol:

Haybale win. Again.

Edited by Mungler

This thread is chuckletastic :good::lol:

I enjoyed the last Phil Moss shoot I attended and thought the targets and ground were spot on (and shot pretty poorly accordingly :lol: ). It was a shame about the first one but he came good on the next and deserves a chance.

Let's face it, us shooters are a bloody hard bunch to keep happy and anyone brave enough to put on a shoot on for us lot gets my vote :good:

What is this **** Over the hills problem?

Is he a little bit bitter that someone may have suggested he is an ****? He seems to have issues with anyone from Essex, or perhaps he is just in love with one of us and can't find enough strength to come out of the closet.