Help needed, Pigeon shooting tips

Jon-Boy

Hi chaps, ive got loads and loads of rape to shoot over, the trouble is the fields are amoungst marshland which is very flat with very few trees around.

The trouble is setting a hide up so that i am concealed. There is no hedgerows or anything i can back up against.

Anyone any tips for setting, up, decoying over this type of terrain?

any help would be good

Cheers

Jon

Any ditches round the fields ?

Even when they have water in, you can sometimes get a few few feet down the bank.

Semi permanent hides are best, especially straw bales, although pallets, wooden boxes (especially the big bulk ones), old farm machinery (ploughs,trailers etc.,) work and I have used them all effectively.

Speak to the Farmer, you may be surprised how helpful he might be. :thumbs:

Hi Jon-Boy, I got five wooden poles that are about 6 ft tall. I put them in a straight line about ten feet long and put netting up against it, this acts as a back drop and I then build the hide in front (against) it. It helps if the backdrop is left for a day or two for the pigeons to get used to it so much the better.

Good luck, if you need any help let me know i'm just up the road from you! Cheers.

If you have ditches, then put the pop-up hide in the shed and get some ex MOD type cammo net and four poles.

You would only need about 3 ft sticking above the ditch top, if you dig yourself a ledge in the side of the ditch (ask the Farmer first).

On one place I shoot, 90% of my hides are placed like this.

If you have ditches, then put the pop-up hide in the shed and get some ex MOD type cammo net and four poles.

You would only need about 3 ft sticking above the ditch top, if you dig yourself a ledge in the side of the ditch (ask the Farmer first).

On one place I shoot, 90% of my hides are placed like this.

Cranfield, sorry but I can't visualise how this works. Can you expand if you can please, I don't want to put you to too much trouble.

You are obviously an expert pigeon man. Would you consider posting your scores?

Same as Cranfield. All you've gotta do is set a hide up in a dyke. Sometimes I put a pallet in the bottom of the dyke to give me a stable platform to shoot off or cut a firing step in the bank. Don't use a dark green hide as most dykes have some cover around them but it's likely to be light brown, straw colour. You might want to put a roof over it and shoot out through a window so birds coming in high don't spot you.

If using static hides ie bales, pallets etc then you'll need to leave them in the field for some time beforehand so Woody gets used to them. Nothing like a new feature especially in a flat landscape to frighten them off. Just watch their flight line detour.

Ditto Highlander and Cranners.

In Lincolnshire where I shoot, alot of the farms are on the trent flood plains, which in recent years have been drained using a maze of drains and dykes.....but boy; are they flat and barron.

Don you waders jon-boy and get in that there ditches. I've had a soggy welly on many an occasion but had good sport.

in some spots the ditches are quite deep but dry, so I get cammied up, using a veil hat and gloves. In the ditches...travel light..... get comfy.......and dont comitt to the shot until the very last second

Whitebridges, you only need to cut a 1ft wide step in the side of the ditch to stand on (if you can't stand in the bottom of the ditch).

I keep my bag of bits, gunslip etc, on the bank top, under a piece of cammo.

I am not an expert, just been doing it for a long time, but I pick up quite a few new ideas on here. :P

As Paul has said, you can frequently get away without even a net, this makes you more mobile. :thumbs:

Whitebridges, you only need to cut a 1ft wide step in the side of the ditch to stand on (if you can't stand in the bottom of the ditch).

I keep my bag of bits, gunslip etc, on the bank top, under a piece of cammo.

I am not an expert, just been doing it for a long time, but I pick up quite a few new ideas on here. :P

As Paul has said, you can frequently get away without even a net, this makes you more mobile. :thumbs:

Many thanks Cranfield, I can see now. Sounds like a very good idea.

as i get a fair bit of shooting in a stubble barley field, although not a prob when standing when cut there is no cover just a ditch around, after a few experiments i have found a hessian cover put over hide poles set in to the top of the ditch at a 45 degree angle works well, enough to see in front and to the sides and behind because of the loose stiching. also my pal has dyed one green and works well in grass surrounds, if poss leave for a day or to, hope this works for you !!! :thumbs:

All good tips there chaps, thanks.

You could help me out white, but its club land i shoot over so no guests im afraid. As for shooting out of the dykes, they have about 2ft of water in the bottom so this is a no no really.

Guess ill have to try the two hide thingy, one at the front and one at the back. Im quite a good shot (not meaning to blow my own trumpet!) so if i put out the whirly which i have on order, i should be presented with a shot long enough to take a few birds before they see me sitting there!