does anyone know how much insurance would pay out for accidentally sho

spartan80

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i assume you've never had a serious injury that wasnt your fault then?

whilst i totally agree that there is too much claim culture i.e. claiming for twisting your ankle on a paving slab that's an inch proud, or claiming for slipping on an icy pavement, in other circumstances where somebody is injured through absolutely no fault of their own then i think compensation would be fair.

i was innocent bystander, i felt like i had been run over by a lorry, woke up to see trousers soaked red and blood squirting from various 'holes' in my body. i was in hospital for 2 days, then i had a further operation under general anaesthetic a month later to remove more pellets and lost the use of my hand for about a month.

i had time off work and serious stress. Imagine, if you will, the same thing happening to yourself.

at the time i let it pass as it was a friend of my dads. Now, a year later, having had time to peruse this, i think its only fair to have some compensation.

So out of interest what did the police say,

Dont say they wernt involved because a hospital has to report ALL shooting incidents,

how long ago did this happen....

shaun

He shot you - you can claim.

My only problem is why you have suddenly decided to do this after a year. I hear what you say about you have had time to think about it etc.

I am not a mind reader, but I feel less than fully convinced about why you are embarking on this now. You asked advice about the potential amount involved, but have gone on to explain your motives and justification - more than once.I don't know why you feel the need to explain anything at all.

To quote from Shakespeare "methinks he doth protest too much".

He suggested in the past that you make a claim, but you did not. Will you remain friends after any claim?

You may think so.

I would be less confident.

So out of interest what did the police say,

Dont say they wernt involved because a hospital has to report ALL shooting incidents,

how long ago did this happen....

shaun

december 2009, when i went to A&E the nurse panicked and said she'd have to phone the police (just like you said above).

when i explained that it was ok by me, and that we both had valid SGC (i actually took mine with me to avoid the armed response going out) she said that it was ok. In fact, hard to believe i know, the police werent involved at all.

there was a lot of interest from junior doctors/surgeons etc coming for a look at me that day as i think i was bit of a rare case!

in the theatre i had quite a lot of bystanders watching this operation to remove 'gunshot'

You were fortunate / unfortunate enough to encounter possibly the most naive nurse on the planet.

I can't imagine what was going through her mind when she accepted that it was okay with you - whilst looking at a gunshot wound.

Clearly she wasn't working in A and E in London, Nottingham, Birmingham or Manchester. When rival gangs shoot each other, they should just explain they are licence holders and don't object to being shot. :lol: :lol: :lol::rolleyes:

He shot you - you can claim.

My only problem is why you have suddenly decided to do this after a year. I hear what you say about you have had time to think about it etc.

I am not a mind reader, but I feel less than fully convinced about why you are embarking on this now. You asked advice about the potential amount involved, but have gone on to explain your motives and justification - more than once.I don't know why you feel the need to explain anything at all.

To quote from Shakespeare "methinks he doth protest too much".

He suggested in the past that you make a claim, but you did not. Will you remain friends after any claim?

You may think so.

I would be less confident.

sorry i asked this question now.....i am explaining myself 'more than once' because several people have been making replies asking me to.

anyone would think i'm asking YOU for some money!

i dont need to explain myself any more. he shot, i could claim.

so, back to my original question (seems like a long time ago now).........has anyone got any valid experience of how much compensation is typically paid by an insurance company for a case of accidental shooting causing serious injury but no lasting problems (apart from embedded lead in legs)

whether or not you think i should claim or not, or how it should 'teach me a lesson' BTW would you say that if i had been killed? it was only a 6inches or so from getting the whole cartridge full from 10 feet away.

whether or not i am 'greedy' or 'skint'......i was nearly killed for gods sake!! and had to have medical treatment

it's taken me so long to think about this as i've had a very busy year with work and family, not time for county court hearings ets

december 2009, when i went to A&E the nurse panicked and said she'd have to phone the police (just like you said above).

when i explained that it was ok by me, and that we both had valid SGC (i actually took mine with me to avoid the armed response going out) she said that it was ok. In fact, hard to believe i know, the police werent involved at all.

there was a lot of interest from junior doctors/surgeons etc coming for a look at me that day as i think i was bit of a rare case!

in the theatre i had quite a lot of bystanders watching this operation to remove 'gunshot'

No police involvement :hmm:

There wont be any record of the incident, your word against his then :yes:

why am i even explaining myself....i was shot, very nearly killed, had serious injuries from 10feet away, why shouldnt i be compensated? whether i am skint or not!! this is why we all pay for insurance, i hope i dont do it to someone else some da

Insurance is to help you at the point of injury/loss or if you suffer from permanent injuries i.e. paralyzes.

Morally, I don't know how you could even think about claiming, you may have the odd scar but who doesn't - you still have a life, be thankful.

We've just had to make an insurance claim for something I never thought or ever wanted to claim for, as I've said above just be thankful you're in one piece - you don't ponder for 1-2 years trying to decide whether it's worth claiming, if it's legitimate, you would have claimed at the point of injury.

If you think the above is harsh then I apologise, but I really think you need to step back and put things into perspective.

Well i wont be posting on this thread anymore as im sorry but i dont believe you.

in todays culture of shootings and the such it would have been reported to the police.... :hmm:

Shaun

i dont need to convince you.

do you really think i'm sad enough to sit here for however long making this story up??

it may well have been reported to the police, but i didnt hear anything from them despite numerous visits to the GP and 2 separate hospitals where all docs were told the truth about what happened.

this was dyfed-powys police in mid wales, perhaps innocent shooting incidents are taken as such, or perhaps we did have a naive nurse AND the doctors she referred to that day.

maybe if i lived in liverpool the police may come to investigate, but i dont, i'm a professional man and i'm well known in a small town

In answer to your question - I have no experience of this and trust you will get what you deserve.

I won't wish you good luck. I started off having some sympathy - you being shot etc. As the thread has progressed, I see you in a different light.

Why are you persisting with it?

It is clear that no-one is coming forward with a figure.

You keep explaining yourself, when you owe us nothing.

I suggest you Google it.

I found this site and like one of the quotes.

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Law/Criminal/Question914063.html

another-view

Great innit? You get shot at and the first thing you ask is how much can I screw out of the system.

Edited by Gordon R

really, no witness testimonies from 3 or four independant people?

Well you never mentioned that bit :rolleyes:

If your not bothered about the money then why keep asking how much do you think you will get?

Dont worry about it, just get a solicitor and process a claim.

I don't know if there's ever an easy clear answer to a question like that. It's probably calculated by severity of injury etc etc. This shouldn't be a discussion of motivation for the claim or really call for any justification from the OP. But hey, we can all have our opinions. Speak to your insurer as you say you've got shooting insurance and see what they think the claim would be for and use this as a rough guide to what his home insurance may have to pay.

I would guess you'll get £8.42. And a nice cup of tea and a sit down. Maybe some biscuits to dunk if you're lucky.

(QUOTE)i am NOT, i repeat NOT, a skint 'wheres there;s blame theres claim' type, i work full time, have a family + mortgage etc and i genuinely feel that its fair to be compensated.

dont quote yourself on that one either !

i lost 3 fingers in an accident and majority of my right hand proven negligence on the employer.

HOW MUCH DID I GET ?

NOTHING

simple things can happen as been proven.

whether or not i am 'greedy' or 'skint'......i was nearly killed for gods sake!! and had to have medical treatment

Once I was nearly run over. Do you think I should get compensation for that?

2 days in hospital is hardly nearly been killed. You were peppered with shot from a gun pointing towards the ground. That's a safe direction to point it. If you had lost your leg, lost months of earnings etc etc then claim. That's what insurance is for. Not a relatively mild accident. I don't doubt it hurts, but so does standing on a plug. :huh:

In answer to your question - I have no experience of this and trust you will get what you deserve.

I won't wish you good luck. I started off having some sympathy - you being shot etc. As the thread has progressed, I see you in a different light.

i have been getting a little wound up by some of the replies people have made on this thread, and maybe this has affected what i have typed and how i've come across to complete strangers reading my posts.

I apologise if i've come across negatively or perhaps argumentatively.

I've been reading posts on this website for years (but not posted much myself) and i've been a responsible shooter for 15 years. I didnt intend to offend anyone here as i really value the info i have got in the past from more experienced shooters.

I may sound like a 'money grabber' etc, after all, you dont know me from Adam.

I assure this isnt the case.

I've attempted to explain myself several times (perhaps the one or two glasses of wine have affected the way i have been typing tonight!) but others have made provocative comments e.g 'it should teach you a lesson not to shoot without insurance'.

I really think that's a disgusting attitude towards ANYONE whos been shot and v.nearly killed. 'Teaching a lesson' might be causing damage to a power line and having to pay for it, but seriously, a person being shot at almost point blank range?

this evening i have been talking about this shooting with my wife, she suggested that i ask someone else who's been shot. i coulnt think of anyone in particular so i logged onto pigeonwatch to ask many thousands of experienced what i thought was a reasonable question.

i really didnt expect to have the replies that i did, almost abusive in some cases, and all because i was asking about fair compensation for a fair injury.

some people are now saying they dont believe that it happened.....it did. I cannot explain why the police did not visit either of us at the time, maybe a glitch in the sytem? i dont know. i still have lead in my body, i have been told that airport scanners may detect it but i havent been on holiday this year so i dont know.

perhaps i was wrong to ask this question on this forum, but i really didnt expect all the 'uproar' that i have had.

i have insurance in case i have a shooting accident. i was shot, the other guy has insurance, i am going to claim, sincere apologies if this really offends so many people.

i really do not hope it happens to anyone else, i had one pellet embedded in the bone in the centre of my forehead that had to be pulled out, a few more mm and it would have gone into my brain.

I know i should be glad im still here, i am! but i honestly think that this is a perfectly valid case for compensation

i like using this forum, and i will continue to do so, apologies for causing any offence

Once I was nearly run over. Do you think I should get compensation for that?

2 days in hospital is hardly nearly been killed. You were peppered with shot from a gun pointing towards the ground. That's a safe direction to point it. If you had lost your leg, lost months of earnings etc etc then claim. That's what insurance is for. Not a relatively mild accident. I don't doubt it hurts, but so does standing on a plug. :huh:

You just made me thing of what it would be like to loose my leg and then loose my job! I'm very distresed! I demand compensation for my distress (Plus legal fees)

really, no record? no hospital x rays? no record of my operations? no witness testimonies from 3 or four independant people?

it wont matter if the insurance says he is not covered for that type of accident, which then leaves you spending a lot of money through the high courts to try and evolve the the policy he has, which wont be easy( been there seeen and done that one aswell).

i spent almost five years traveling the length and bredth of the country through different courts for nothing, although the evidence was there that i was secends from death (bleeding) and actualy was given cpr at one point which i obviously cannot remember.

claims are a long drawn out thing and much harder to prove than you think.

the ball is in your court but make sure you hit it the right way because the wrong will cost you a lot of cash at the end of the day.

You just made me thing of what it would be like to loose my leg and then loose my job! I'm very distresed! I demand compensation for my distress (Plus legal fees)

dont be daft, i WAS shot, time to close this thread now mods? getting a little silly now i think, i'll think twice about asking any serious questions on this forum again.

perhaps i should stick to "what choke is best", i may have had some reasonable replies if i did

ahhh - i can see a why someone got confused on this one, i meant to say i told the nurse it was OK by me for her to phone the police.

(not that it was OK by me to get shot!)

when i asked her later if the police were coming she said she might not phone them as my reaction suggested i was being honest about my story - i was quite prepared for the police to come, hence why i took my SGC with me.

i know that i wasnt visited, and neither was the guy who did it. he still has his licence, he would have had it taken off him for negligence if the police were involoved i'm sure.despite the fact that the gun was pointing down, his safety should have been on, finger not by trigger, also not pointed in line with someone on a concrete floor.