Smoking rats

Ferretboy111

Hello, im thinking about tryin to get some sort of engine to smoke out rats which there are plenty around my cover strips, anyone any tips for trying to create a smoking machine?

MAny thanks

ALEX

hi mate,ive been smoking rats out for a while now and im getting better all the time.i started by using smoke pellets wich are used to check chimneys out but now i stepped it up a gear by using a chainsaw.£20. car booty remove chain and get a strong pipe about 4ft long fixed and away you go.i let my jr mark first,put nets over nest holes and start smoking.i got 9 today 3 with shot gun and dog got 6. :rolleyes:

SMoke them Scaley tails,, Best thing for em, Ive done it for years with my Jack Russells using an old 2 stroke engine plenty of 2 stroke oil and a pipe, remember though that rtas are hardy things and can stay down for ages and just when you think its a wate of time out they come fast and furious when they decide to bolt.

Do you have aTerrier? if not how you gonna get em

Go on have a go "smoke em"

We once tried a similar experiment on rabbits but used a large quantity of black powder instead of smoke from an engine. It was on very awkward ground to ferret in an old quarry. We used a length of "jetex" fuse (you old **** will remember that) put a big pile of powder well down one hole and then blocked it off. Set the fuse going and stood well back !!!!.

Result..........................bloody great Whoosh followed by clouds of smoke from the other holes. No rabbits.

I've smoked some trout since over oak dust but thats a different sort of smoking.

I helped my game keeper mate a couple of times used smoke pellets that you put in the green house to kill red spider mite he had some left over, placed in hole then used my petrol garden vac on leaf blow but you cant have it on to hard as it just blows sh*te all over the place, we did not have any luck at first but after a couple of tries we got the hang of it and netted plenty, its a good way to keep them down but i prefer the AA S 410

we've smoked loads this year with a strimmer engine with the shaft cut off with lots of oil in the 2 stroke mix. They had had a good year in the cover I had 9 with the HMR shooting them in Ivy trees at head height and having to look down the side of the barrel to sight them as it was too close to see through the scope ??? obviously making sure the tree formed the backstop and believe me that made a mess :lol: I hasten to add I went looking for rabbits and the rats just happened to be there otherwise I would have gone with the 12 bore

Its how I can say the sak moderator works fine on the HMR as the noise made is not much more than .22rf when it doesn't have a long distance to go supersonic and crack

Edited by al4x

• 3 weeks later...
Wol

I've thought of using smoke pellets but never done it so far. How many do you put down at a time, will one do or do you need a couple? How far do they need to go down, do you block the hole then?

Give us some info

sorry i havent replied,been busy.if you use the pellets used by plumbers get the large ones,i used to use these all the time but it got expensive,so i brought a old chainsaw from a bootsale and got it modefied its the nuts and cheaper in the long run.do you work a dog if so then a chain saw is best ill send you some pics.good luck keep me posted :rolleyes:

Wol

I've thought of using smoke pellets but never done it so far. How many do you put down at a time, will one do or do you need a couple? How far do they need to go down, do you block the hole then?

Give us some info

I have tried smoking them out with smoke grenade things used for Paint Balling, I have also tried this on rabbits and it had no effect, probably because the things r non toxic lol and they just sit down the hole. I have smoked out rabbits with an only landy and that seemed to work. Not tried it on rats though…

Crow

Didnt get one, smoke poured out of all the holes but no rat to be seen, so they are either sitting hell of a tight or there isnt any, any way my chainsaw packed up after 3 burrows and wouldnt start again, shall try again soon.

dont give up.if you havent got a good rat dog to tell you if rats are at home then its a bit hit and miss.

sometimes rats will stay put ,but after a couple of minutes they die under ground.i have dug them out dead.

i have been ratting for a long time and tried all methods and smoking them out ,and using jrt:s is most defintally the best way. :ernyha: