Freelander

Richard756

According to a survey done a while back it came out as the car(not just 4x4)that was the most unreliable in the uk and topped the league of warranty claims.

Old landrovers were rust buckets but just kept going,now they dont rust as much and they just keep going....mainly back to the dealers on the back of a transporter.

I know about 5 people with one and ALL of them have had multiple probs with them.

As the most popular vehicle in its class for years and years then I'd look past the problems they have and think to myself "why to people buy, and continue to buy the freelander"

I see far more of these than any other mid size 4x4 such as the Rav4, CRV, Xtrail.

I looked at a Freelander 2 this year, but decided the boot was too small for our needs and that in a few years time, the dog (a very small lab bitch) would struggle to jump in to the boot due to its height compared to the Disco 3 I have currently.

It must do something right! :good

There are loads of them about and cos they are terrible people get rid of them quick. I bought a 10 year old mitsubishi and for the money could have got a 4 year old freelander. I think my money went on the right truck. When i asked a mechanic mate of mine what he thought of them as i was considering one at one point his reply was '' for christs sake dont buy anything with the name rover on it, nowt but bother''

Sage advise i reckon

Cheers

to be honest , i bought this 98 freelander for the mrs who said it looked pretty . :rolleyes:

head gasket done under garages warrenty in first month , and apart from that no real trouble for 18mnth .

head gasket again but was fixed by regulary using k seal ! :blink:

was a great shooting wagon with back roof off and mrs driving . never got stuck and didnt leave much of a footprint on the grassy bits

post-16997-0-10336800-1295459907.jpg

a nice foriegn man paid me a 2/3rds of what i paid 2 year previous !just forgot to mention k seal . :hmm:

work paid road tax for advertising so it really didnt cost that much to run . :good:

According to Warranty Direct it is more reliable than the Disco or RR (lower number is better)

Freelander...137.44

Disco........161.36

RR...........314.17

Bottom 10 vehicles:

1 Audi Rs6 686.98

2 Jaguar XK8

3 Mercedes SL

4 BMW Z3

5 Jaguar XKR

6 Range Rover

7 Audi Allroad

8 Mercedes V class

9 Mercedes S-class

10 Jeep Cherokee 259.28

so to answer the question, according to Warranty Direct the answer is no.

Once a vehicle has got a bad reputation, it is hard to shift though.

When a Freelander goes wrong - it just proves how **** they are.

When a Defender/Disco goes wrong - it is character and all part of the joy of ownership.

(Honda CR-V comes in at 10th best out of interest)

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/

My dad has had a 02 TD4 freelander since new and has done 180k miles in it since then, its still going OK, needs a new injector at the moment (still on originals). Has not exactly had an easy life, servicing was never my dads priority! Only problems we had with it were brake master cylinder going, and had a couple of holes in the turbo pipes (not sure which ones). Picked up a Freelander 2 HSE yesterday so now I have inherited the old one :lol: . Hopefully will keep on going for a good few miles yet. Maybe we have been lucky with ours, but as people have already said, there must have be a reason why they were and still are the best sellers in their class. And they are much better off road than most people would have you believe.

Had my 02 plate TD4 for a year now. Cannot fault it at all - except keep banging my head when getting in!. At least when I'm in, I feel as if I might reach my destination without 3rd party intervention!. Had a petrol P38 for 12 years prior to this, so I know what financial pain is all about!.