Chimney liner

firdom

Last year fitted multiburner stove was told would not need a liner because of the age of the bungalow have now got tar running down the chimney breast i now know it's because we have used to much wood and not let it burn hot enough live and learn, anyway looked on the net at flue prices etc and now just wonder has anybody got any ideas how much it would cost to be fitted

Whilst you should be OK with a wood burning stove, please be aware that a liner narrows the flue and can cause your fire to smoke, particularly when first lit and if the chimney is cold.

This happened when we lined two flues and used them for open fires. One now has a wood burning stove [one of the best things we have ever bought] and the other is still used as an open fire. We have solved the smoking problem with it by putting the logs in a pyramid shape [ie as vertical as possible] when first lit. Once the fire has been going for 30 minutes plus and the chimney is warmed up, we can put the logs on horizontally and there is no more problem

Good luck

Had mine lined 2 years ago, stainless steel, double lined for open fires with a custom built cone as I have the space open for a basket as opposed to the fireplace and surround.

Cost then was £1600. Make sure you specify for open flame...its 2 different standards between gas fires and solid fuel.

I fitted our one myself a couple of years ago and it cost around £220 for the flue (I used 8 meters)and another £30ish for the extra bits. It's quite easy to do but tricky if you can't get to your chimney pot easily.

Most of the cost of installation will be the scaffolding as installation only needs 2 people for half a day.

Shop around for the best price though as we were quoted anything from £400 to £1200 just for installing it.

Last year fitted multiburner stove was told would not need a liner because of the age of the bungalow have now got tar running down the chimney breast i now know it's because we have used to much wood and not let it burn hot enough live and learn, anyway looked on the net at flue prices etc and now just wonder has anybody got any ideas how much it would cost to be fitted

The advice you were given is probably right. If the bungalow is recent it would have a class 1 flue way or chimney liner probably built out of concrete or terracotta flue blocks. This is designed to suit a class 1 appliance such as an open fire or mulit burner. It wouldnt necessarily require a seperate liner unless it was porous and in a state of disrepair.

Do you have a register plate fitted to the flue which stretches into the stack.?

After just the year of burning wood into a conventional chimney flue I would be very suprised if the tar build up was excessive as not to be prevented by regular (annual) sweeping. Are you sure its not just soot discoloured from rainfall and not pitch as such.?

Is your chimney on a outside wall or middle of bungalow - Mine is in middle made with clay liners and one brick surrounding it and I get no problems - cleaned chimney the other week and hardly enything in it and it was dry dust - Howevr if it's on outside it might not have enough insulation round liners - At my old house my next door neighbour put a chimney stack on gable end (flue liner and brick surround) and when he lit his woodburner loads of tarry water dripped down - In end he had to knock chimney down and rebuild with flue liner - 4" brick round it - sheets of rockwool round that and another brick wall which was the outer wall - not had a problem since.

Get it lined then pour vermiculite down chimney to insulate liner as much as possible. With bungalow you shouldn't need more than 4m liner.

Dave

Did mine a couple of years ago, bungalo will only need 5mtr of SS flu max best to order it too long and be sure :good: plus vermiculite poured around.(on a calm day) you will also need fastners for the ends of the flu large round jubilee type joby's and 1 fixing for the base.(get a mate to knock them up out of SS)Top end cement in place before the chinmey goes back on.then mortar round chimney using plenty of plastisizer,unibond, in the mix :good:

The flu was £25 a mtr and then fixings. being a bungalo i wouldnt bother with scaffolding just a crawl ladder should be ok.

Edited by Dougy

thank you for all your reply's the chimney is in the middle of the bungalow and keeps the whole place warm heating hardly comes on so would be nice not to have a liner, just been up the loft and chimney about 2ft square and rendered there are what looks like drips of tar that have run down all sides but i can't see where they are coming from they have solidified in places

it comes out in liquid form and can make it through the mortar joints, your biggest issue is you will have a chimney fire shortly as the tar does burn well and if you are seeing it on the outside there will be a lot more inside the chimney.

Where are you getting the logs from and do you know what type of wood they are?

I got my flue liner from here. They were the best price i could find at the time and when the first 9m length turned up with a dent in the last metre they replaced the whole lot no questions asked. Gave the old one to my m8 for his slightly shorter chimney.

Most of the cost of installation will be the scaffolding

Or you can risk it for a biscuit. Still need two and it is hairy as the liner isn't very easy to handle up on a high roof.*

*warning Darwin award eligable.

Dan