Newbie what gun question...

10mpg

Hi

Ok i am just in process of applying for my first shotgun license, and looking at various guns for sale..

I live out in the sticks and there is plenty of rough shooting and clays locally and i could go on beaters day on the local shoot ect if i muck in with a bit of beating..

So I'm looking for a 'jack of all trades' gun, my dad taught me to shoot when i was a kid with a bolt action 4/10 then i moved up to his 12 bore over and under Browning when i was able to handle it, since then I've only ever used 12g guns, I'm happy to go with a 20g but worried as I've never tried one and know I'm happy with 12g's that i wouldn't like it. The same goes for side by side, i like the look but wouldnt be sure i'd like it to shoot, they look lighter than an o&e is this true?

Budget is small (very small) probably £500 maybe a bit more if I have a rummage under the sofa...

Thinking of maybe an AYA or similar..

Any thoughts/abuse/laughter/pointing/help/recommendations more than welcome!

Edited by 10mpg

:welcomeani: Get yourself a nice second hand 12gauge o/u. Multi choke, 30" barrels, ejector, single trigger. Cant go wrong. :good:

yep 28 or 30" barrels and it will do everything you want. Shooting a side by side is ok and some get on ok with them, personally I can't shoot one for toffee

Hi,

Take on board what the other members have advised but from my experience if you want a cheap knock-about gun then you won't go wrong with a Baikal. You should be able to pick up a decent 12 gauge O/U multichoke ejector for about £250 or even less.

I know some folks would scoff at a Baikal and I know that they ain't pretty but they have chromed barrels and are very robust and rarely go wrong. You can kick them round the field and throw it in a ditch and it will still work.

The other advantage is that the cycling of the second barrel is mechanical and does not rely on the recoil to select the second barrel. This means that you can use very light loads or subsonic with no problems.

If you don't fancy a Baikal then the Lanber is also a good solid gun but would cost more.

Whatever gun you decide on please MAKE SURE IT FITS YOU otherwise you won't hit a barn door even if you are inside the the barn. When you buy the gun take a knowledgable friend with you or get professional advice.

Any thoughts/abuse/laughter/pointing/help/recommendations more than welcome!

Go find a friendly clay ground/club shoot a few guns ask some people if you can have a go with theirs see what fits and you like, for £500 you could be looking at a SxS an O/U or Semi Auto..... all are fine for rough to clay shooting (SxS more rough, and Semi=Auto arent very accepted on driven shoots and formal days. Try as many as you can!

another vote for lanber

i had one, paid 300quid for it

in mint condition

28inch barrels

multichoke

ejector

it dropped everything from rats to geese and fox when i had it, great gun (regret selling!)

should be able to pick up a very good 2nd hand one for 500

I think there are going to be as many opinions as people. I'm in the same boat. Nottinghamshire police cashed the cheque for my shotgun cert on 17/12 so I'm hoping I get my visit soon. Then its off to the gun shop.

I've had a few lessons from a guy who you'd think was on the Miroku payroll, he loves them and advised me to get one but yesterday I saw a friends £500 Parker Hale game gun and it looks great for the money and he loves that.

I was told by a guy in a shop I visited recently to pick a gun, close your eyes and bring it up to mount, then open your eyes and see if if where it should be.

Any sence in this or is it another "old shooters tail"

I think there are going to be as many opinions as people. I'm in the same boat. Nottinghamshire police cashed the cheque for my shotgun cert on 17/12 so I'm hoping I get my visit soon. Then its off to the gun shop.

I've had a few lessons from a guy who you'd think was on the Miroku payroll, he loves them and advised me to get one but yesterday I saw a friends £500 Parker Hale game gun and it looks great for the money and he loves that.

I was told by a guy in a shop I visited recently to pick a gun, close your eyes and bring it up to mount, then open your eyes and see if if where it should be.

Any sence in this or is it another "old shooters tail"

Hi,

No it's not a shooters tale, it's good advice.

Close your eyes and mount the gun so that your cheek is tight down onto the stock then open eyes and you should see the fore-end bead "sitting" on top of the action.

If you are looking down on the rib so that you can see more or less of the whole length of the rib or you can't see the fore-end bead at all then the gun does not fit you and you will have problems hitting anything with it.

The other thing for a "newbie" to determine is which of your eyes is the master eye. Believe it or not one eye controles what the other eye does and it is important to know this.

If you have never heard of this, and I am not winding you up, and want more info then drop me a PM and I will explain it in more detail.

If you have had lessons then the determination of your master eye is the first thing that any instructor should do because if your are right handed with a left master eye then you have big problems and will have to modify your shooting technique to compensate.

If you have had lessons then the determination of your master eye is the first thing that any instructor should do because if your are right handed with a left master eye then you have big problems and will have to modify your shooting technique to compensate.

I am Right handed with dominant left eye so i shoot left handed, get a good coach and have a couple of lessons before buying a gun well worth it. As a newbie your mount will be ****, so you'll not necessarily know when it fits properly

Powderhorn.

My firt lesson did involve establishing that I'm right eye dominant, lucky really as I'm right handed.

HDAV.

I've read this before about having a doninant oposite eye to hand, I don't think for a minute I could shoot left handed if my life depended on it. (I miss my mouth if I try holding a drink in my left hand :oops:

as for the mounting a gun with my eyes closed, I thought it was a starnge for a newby looking for his first gun.............he may as well have told me to "use the force!"

I've read this before about having a doninant oposite eye to hand, I don't think for a minute I could shoot left handed if my life depended on it. (I miss my mouth if I try holding a drink in my left hand :oops: )

That'll be the eye dominance then... :lol:

If you dont have your cert yet, have a few more lessons and ask the coaches advice.... most coaches will meet you at a gun shop/ local RFD and check the fit with you, (or make sure you can return a gun if it doesnt fit)

My coach has aiready offered to do this and reccomended a shop that will let us take guns up to the shooting ground to try them out on the clays (second had guns only)

I just wish the police would get a move on!

Sorry 10mpg, I didn't intend on hijacking your post.