Setting purse nets

stupidsalmon

Hi

Whenever setting my nets over holes i have always place the end ring up 20cm down inside the hole entrance, being under the pretention that as the rabbit bolts it'll be standing on part of the net as it hits the front of the net (over the holes entrance.)

Net.jpg

I have seen in other ferreting pics however, the net simply layed over the entrance. Are both ways just as efficient at successfully entangling the rabbit because i rarely have any rabbits that mamage to get past a set net?

Cheers

SS

Where possible I set my nets as shown in your picture, but I press the bottom ring into the ground slightly.

That was the way I was shown, very many years ago.

However, I am quite happy to set them completely over the hole, as described by FM. :rolleyes:

If you stick the end ring into the ground it can help when you get a rabbit backnetting. I think it helps even when they come out into the net as it starts to purse that bit quicker.

I place the bottom ring in the hole ,and press it into the ground,

I dont like to see a net just laid over a hole,as I feel they can be knocked off to easily,or some times can lift when a rabbit bolts and the rabbit runs under them,

with the ring in the hole method,the rabbit is effectivley in the net before it has left the hole,and the net will purse what ever speed the rabbit is going,

I'm sure we have all seen a rabbit come to the mouth of a hole and stop,then either just inch out ,at least with this method the rabbit cant get under the net because it is already stood on it.

All the best mick.

My self and Hitman were out with the ferrets on some of Hitmans permission,

he showed me a warren which looked to me at the time as though rats may have been living along side the rabbits,

well it had been a steady day,and although I hate rats, we netted up and I put down two jills,

time passed and one jill came up,so i picked her up and took her to another hole,I slipped the net to one side and placed her in the hole!

only she didnt go down but backed out??

well I'll try her down another I thought,so picked her up ,

just as I was putting the net back ,The biggest ******* rat inTHE WORLD !!!

came flying out ,it missed my hand by inches and my face by about a foot, :sly:

It would have been ok if it had run any other way than it did ,but it shot straight down anther hole and back netted in one of my brand new Hemp nets ,

now much as I hate rats,I was'nt going to let it chew up a new net then go to battle

with the other jill that had pushed it out, then gone back down after it had bolted,

so I ran over and pulled the net out by the peg,the bloody rat was squealing and spinning around,I was holding a ferret it one hand and swinging the rat in the net at arms lenght with the other,( Hitman had now run into the middlle of the field and was busy tucking his trousers into his socks :thumbs: )

All the time I was worrid the rat would some how get out the net or run up it and get hold of my hand,in the end common sense won the battle over fear,and I stopped swinging the net and dropped it to the ground,then humanely dispatched the rat with my size 11 Hunter Welley,

it took three stomps before it stopped wriggling,and a few more before I was happy that it was'nt just playing dead,and waiting to ambush me when I untangled it :*)

It took about Ten mins for my heart rate to come back down to normal :blink:

It was one of those days that you will always remember,good company a good laugh and although we did'nt get many rabbits ,the ferrets worked well ,my nets stayed in tact,and we killed the biggest rat in the world!! :blink: :lol:

Thanks for the day out Pete,

All the best Mick.

Dave I would prefer to use my dog over nets any day,but as Bigbob says not all places are suietable for this ,same goes for guns,

and i've found that a bit of shooting , can lead to a lot of digging :lol:

I nearly always use nets and have the lurcher for marking and catching the ones which slip out of the odd bolt hole that I miss :)

I never had the dog with me that day as I was on Hitmans permission ,and was'nt sure if the landowner would be ok with a lurcher on his land .

All the best Mick.