John Humphreys

shotgunshortie

Can`t say that I am although I`m assuming you mean the confused old twit who writes for the Shooting Times rather than the newsreader and political commentator.

Quite why anyone would want to listen to the ramblings of that old reactionary are beyond me.

Why would I want to listen to him telling me that non toxic shot is the fault of BASC,that non toxic shot does`nt work and that BASC is rubbish, when none of the above are true.

Be interesting to see if he actually says that, but that is what he`s been trying to ram down our throats through his page in the Shooting Times for the last few years!

Oh yes, and the fact that he has given up on owning a gundog and has resigned from BASC in protest against something he imagined they did, or did`nt do, but still phones them up for advice.

A dogless, manic gameshooter with a dangerously renegade view of the politics of shooting.

What`s he got to say that makes any sense?

You might also want to ask the event organiser what his fee for speaking actually was. For someone with a warped view of what`s actually happening in the world of shooting, he makes you pay through the nose to listen to his drivel.

The sooner the Shooting Times ditches him the sooner it can begin to restore its circulation.

Can`t say that I am although I`m assuming you mean the confused old twit who writes for the Shooting Times rather than the newsreader and political commentator.

Quite why anyone would want to listen to the ramblings of that old reactionary are beyond me.

Why would I want to listen to him telling me that non toxic shot is the fault of BASC,that non toxic shot does`nt work and that BASC is rubbish, when none of the above are true.

Be interesting to see if he actually says that, but that is what he`s been trying to ram down our throats through his page in the Shooting Times for the last few years!

Oh yes, and the fact that he has given up on owning a gundog and has resigned from BASC in protest against something he imagined they did, or did`nt do, but still phones them up for advice.

A dogless, manic gameshooter with a dangerously renegade view of the politics of shooting.

You might also want to ask the event organiser what his fee for speaking actually was. For someone with a warped view of what`s actually happening in the world of shooting, he makes you pay through the nose to listen to his drivel.

The sooner the Shooting Times ditches him the sooner it can begin to restore its circulation.

Touched a nerve then. :D

I take it your not a fan then :look: :oops:

If you met him, you would agree with mudpattten.

I have met him twice and had the misfortune to sit through one of his rambling sessions just the once (I left early the second time), he is almost a comedy turn.

I am much saddened to read this - I much enjoy John's articles in Shooting Times, The Field & Country Life. His self-deprecating sense of humour is brilliant, be it of his experiinces in the shooting field or on the river. His articles are redolent of a bygone, gentler age from which there are not many exponents left. He is a true countryman and a real enthusiast for fieldsports in all their guises.

It is Mudpatten's perogative not to like him or his articles but insult him by calling him a "confused old twit" and a "dogless manic twit with a dangerously renegade view of the politics of shooting" is quite uncalled for.

It just so happens that there are many of us who disagree with some of BASCs policies - that does not mean that we should not still contact friends in that organisation - such as Bill Harriman - for personal and informal advice [it so happens that I AM still am member myself].

Cranfield - I have admired your deft hand at the moderator's tiller over the years. This morning I think you have gone off course.

woodcock11, you have saved me a job of having to respond to mudpatten's ramblings, you took the words out of my mouth :good:

For anyone who is interested it was a fantastic evening. It was a pleasure to listen to John's stories, there were some fantastic shooting and fishing days to purchase in the auction (some of which went at bargain prices for driven game!)and to top it off the complimentary ploughmans was superb! All for the bargain price of £5. All proceeds from the entry and the auction went to The Game Conservancy which made for a thoroughly enjoyable evening!

Cranfield - I have admired your deft hand at the moderator's tiller over the years. This morning I think you have gone off course.

I also liked to read his articles many moons ago when I bought the Shooting Times and I even have a couple of his books.

Perhaps I caught him at a bad time, but I was disappointed that he seemed out of touch and was definitely playing to sections of the audience that appeared to be there courting controversy.

Also is pigeon shooting books are first class :good: not been to any of is lectures but what he Knows about pigeon shooting is spot on :good:

Seconded. Used his book a lot when I first started out shooting and found it extremely useful.

Edited by PaulABF

I am afraid I share some of mudpattens views on the old codger.

Many of his views are valid but he makes a lot of mistakes quoting old anecdotes and repeating old wives tales. He may overstate some opinions but my main objection is his never ending references to gifts and thanks for kindnesses a paragraph or two before mentioning he is looking for some rare or special thing. He used to do well for freebies and happening to mention particular sporting goods he would like. Subliminal advertising???

He has however stood the test of time even if a lot of his quoted "facts" don't.

:stupid:

I have had a ST subscription for 4 over years and I have just binned it off because JH's ramblings. Each to their own.

I understand that people once considered Jim Davidson to be funny. Oh how times change and the world moves on.

That man has probably done for for promoting and introducing young lads into shooting than you could ever dream of doing. Just because he has different views to you and he airs them quite freely it doesnt make him a 'confused old twit'

When you have written a heap of books and written a weekly article in the shooting times for as long as he has, as well as introduced generations of young lads into shooting then i might respect your opinion.... until then, your a ***! :P

Agree with that GeorgeH I have diffrent views in all aspects of life some agree with me other dont I have put up with be verbally attacked on my opinions on subjects.

I have heard of Mr Humphreys and read and enjoyed his books his views maybe strong on subjects .

Thats whats makes the world go round the same as in our own little worlds.

Cheers OTH

Gents

can i add a few things here,

mudpattern: you may not like the man, but he has done more good for shooting over the years then you can ever dream of doing, even if he is now of a mature age.

here iam and paulabf: im with you, but then some people couldt read a complete book.

shotgunshortie: i was also there yesterday, had a great evening and parted with my hard earned cash for the good of shooting and conservation, (regardless who was speaking, got out there and supported our sport, instead of sitting on a computer bitching about this and that) had a top night with great company.

millhouse: you need to get off that fence

muggle: you have withdrawn your subscription of a whole four years, for the only shooting weekly mag that keeps us in touch with conservation and shooting, because you dont like one A4 page of text witten by john humphreys?? what next you cancel the beano because plug out the bash street kids has lost a tooth.

im not the secutary of the john h fan club, but the man has lived the life, told the tale, and is in a job most of use would die for.

Edited by unshavenprawn

I also liked to read his articles many moons ago when I bought the Shooting Times and I even have a couple of his books.

Perhaps I caught him at a bad time, but I was disappointed that he seemed out of touch and was definitely playing to sections of the audience that appeared to be there courting controversy.

Thank you - I think that maybe the good ship Pigeon Watch is getting back on course again.

Believe you me, public speaking is not easy and you can lose the plot without too much difficulty, particularly if you are up against vocal [lubricated maybe] sections of the audience. For the sake of sanity, you sometimes have to go with the flow and just hope for the best

Also and as with any guest speaker, maybe one exposure is a treat, the second inculcates a sense of deja-vu.

You mention "when I bought the Shooting Times many moons ago". Maybe it is time to renew your subscription and give it another go. Magazines [like everything else] go up and down and it is pretty good right now. I admire all the team on ST who manage to bring out a magazine every single week of the year - not monthly like most mags these days! I could not do that and I bet there are not many "critics" out there who could that either!

Gents

shotgunshortie: i was also there yesterday, had a great evening and parted with my hard earned cash for the good of shooting and conservation, (regardless who was speaking, got out there and supported our sport, instead of sitting on a computer bitching about this and that) had a top night with great company.

That is a great result from someone who was there last night -glad you had a top night.

I would have liked to have been there. He has produced some fine books. Last time in hospital I took his book on Hunters fen and read it three times. If he as gone a little of line of lately with his articles we should make allowances and remember how he was. The older I get the more ecentric I get its a fact of life

Peter

He seemed like a good guy to me.

I met him a few years ago at a shoot where he was my neighbouring gun for the day. He was an invited guest at one of our driven syndicate days. He was the perfect guest - had a craic with all the beaters and pickers up, the keepers and the guns. We talked about everything from our DIY syndicates, fishing, SGC legal matters to recent news (think it was Boscastle floods that year).

He had recently acquired Roaring Emma and brought it out to show the other guns and tell it's story, and we all swung it about as few of our number were fowlers. He still had his lab China at the time and she worked away well at the end of each drive picking several of my birds.

I read his copy in Shooting Times and don't always agree with him, but I reckon he's always going to have a strong opinion. Bland articles don't sell magazines! The main thing that irks me about him is when he plays up the poor man bit. The reality feels more like he is rather well off, can afford multiple shooting and fishing trips each year, staying in the best of accomodation, has his own land/ground and fishing pond(s), etc etc. But perhaps his number 1 and number 2 sons pay for all that :rolleyes:

Edit: ...and I hate Jim Davidson

Edited by Piebob

For anyone who is interested it was a fantastic evening. It was a pleasure to listen to John's stories, there were some fantastic shooting and fishing days to purchase in the auction (some of which went at bargain prices for driven game!)and to top it off the complimentary ploughmans was superb! All for the bargain price of £5. All proceeds from the entry and the auction went to The Game Conservancy which made for a thoroughly enjoyable evening!

for £5 and a free ploughmans i would of listened to anyone.... you can hear a lot less interesting conversation for a lot more down the local

now a pint and a ploughmans with the late archie coates i would pay flamin good money for :yes:

A few days late in adding my bit, I wanted to go and see/listen to the world of knowledge that John has to talk about, but alas I had to work. I find it amazing how some people on here can take a simple question ''is anyone going to see John Humphries tonight'' and turn it into let's berate a chap who has seen it and done it, I don't have the time that much anymore to read or reply to articles on this site because I'm out in the woods and fields, shooting and the like, just like John did, perhaps some of you should try it, take your frustrations out in the fields not on here. To the the two guys who went, good on ya, just wish I could have been there, the evening would have been a real treat and the ploughmans sounded fantastic.At least there'll be more copies of ST on the shelves for me to read.

I have held a subsrciption to ST for twenty years and still have all the copies. JH used to write about 50 bag wild bird days on fen shoots and flighting maallard onto stubble. Now it is all 400 bird driven days and Salmon fishing on the Tweed which can get a bit boring to the average Joe reading (slightly enviously!)his articles. The man seems to lost his roots.

I heard a rumour that to fund his aquisition of Hunters Fen he sold his land on the Ouse Washes to the RSPB without even approaching any of the number of wildfowling clubs who were also keen to buy land in that area.