12g - Semi Auto or Over Under + Choices

Eagle.

Hi, this is my first post so hello to everyone that reads this.

Im interested into getting into shooting shotguns for a few reasons really. One reason is down to the sheer number of pigeons i encounter on my 126 acre permission...perhaps 100-150+ or so at a time. Although using my air rifle on them is an enjoyable hobby, it is far from efficient.

Im also very keen to take up clays aswell (trap/skeet), and just generally enjoy owning and using fire arms :)

This will be my first shotgun, so im not after anything flashy. I simply want a solid reliable gun, that will do as intended when i ask of it. Looks will be a bonus but its no concern really. If i do opt for an Under/Over i would also want ejectors.

Having looked into shooting shotguns on the internet, its clear there are 2 main choices for me to look into in regards to my intended purposes. ( Mainly live quarry + perhaps clays )

Under + Over & Semi Auto (12g)

So having searched on Gun Trader for both types with a budget of around £250 - £400 S/H, there seem to be a few common makes + models available...

Over/Under

Baikal (27)

Miroku

Lanber

Browning

Semi-Auto:

Remington (1100)

Beretta (A301)

Browing (Gold)

Id like to know your thoughts and recomendations.

( If it helps, i have been to my local and handled a Remington 1100 so far )

Thank you.

I would say it depends if your ever going to have the opportunity for a beaters day or a day wild fowling. If you think you may go beating on a shoot and get a beaters day I would go with over and under as semis aren't welcome on most shoots. If you think you will have a chance at wild fowling and you want a steel proof gun get a semi with 3inch or 3 1/2 inch chamber.

BUT if you are only going to be shooting pigeons I would go with a semi, theres an beretta extrema on here for 450 which is a bargain or save for 500 as a few winchester SX3's pop up for that and they are awesome.

Good luck with the pigeons

Hi and welcome as newcomer for pigeon and clays i would first reconmend a few lessons at a local clay club/ground.

After that I would say go for a n O/U as a first gun more versatile easier to handle and you dont have to pick your spent shells up from 3'-12' away (out of ditches, hedges, brambles etc)

Look for a 28"-30" Multichoke that will cover everything it is important the gun fits you and at a budget of £500 or less ITs going to be Browning medalist (made in italy and not a real browning), Lanber, Franchi or one of the many others Bettinsoli, Rizzini, W&S-Pointer (Hatsan clone) I wouldnt rush into buying a gun until you have had a few lessons tried a few different models.

As for semi some love them older berrettas are very good if looked after and cleaned or you could get a brand new Hatsan..(have a good search they are well commented on from both +ve and -ve sides)

Most importantly enjoy your shooting and be safe!

I would say it depends if your ever going to have the opportunity for a beaters day or a day wild fowling. If you think you may go beating on a shoot and get a beaters day I would go with over and under as semis aren't welcome on most shoots. If you think you will have a chance at wild fowling and you want a steel proof gun get a semi with 3inch or 3 1/2 inch chamber.

BUT if you are only going to be shooting pigeons I would go with a semi, theres an beretta extrema on here for 450 which is a bargain or save for 500 as a few winchester SX3's pop up for that and they are awesome.

Good luck with the pigeons

Thanks for the heads up. And yeah, id only really be shooting pigeons on my own.

Hi and welcome as newcomer for pigeon and clays i would first reconmend a few lessons at a local clay club/ground.

After that I would say go for a n O/U as a first gun more versatile easier to handle and you dont have to pick your spent shells up from 3'-12' away (out of ditches, hedges, brambles etc)

Look for a 28"-30" Multichoke that will cover everything it is important the gun fits you and at a budget of £500 or less ITs going to be Browning medalist (made in italy and not a real browning), Lanber, Franchi or one of the many others Bettinsoli, Rizzini, W&S-Pointer (Hatsan clone) I wouldnt rush into buying a gun until you have had a few lessons tried a few different models.

As for semi some love them older berrettas are very good if looked after and cleaned or you could get a brand new Hatsan..(have a good search they are well commented on from both +ve and -ve sides)

Most importantly enjoy your shooting and be safe!

Ive located a place not too far from me, so il check that out and see how i get on. I always like to research into what im buying so it wont be a rush job.

Is there anything i should stay away from? Because i know in the Air Gun world, Hatsan's are a no go!

Any comments on a Remington 1100? There are alot available in my price range, As are Baikal 27's...

Thanks for the heads up. And yeah, id only really be shooting pigeons on my own.

Ive located a place not too far from me, so il check that out and see how i get on. I always like to research into what im buying so it wont be a rush job.

Is there anything i should stay away from? Because i know in the Air Gun world, Hatsan's are a no go!

Any comments on a Remington 1100? There are alot available in my price range, As are Baikal 27's...

I had a hatsan was nothing wrong with just have to take the entire thing apart and give it a proper clean but saying that I wouldn't buy one again bit too rattly! But the good thing with a new hatsan is they have a 3 year warranty whereas as a second hand Remington etc doesn't! I like these for practicality and seems cheap and in good nick but I would ring up and ask a little about it i.e. previous owner, what it was used for etc. http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/110201170004042

Don't forget the humble side by side. More pigeons shot with them that over and under and semi's put together!

You can use a SBS or OU anywhere, you can't with a semi. If you have one gun don't buy a semi.

Something like a nice reliable Baikal will do you well. Worry less about the make and more about how it 'fits' you. Remember with a shotgun it's your eye lined up with the bead that points it in the right direction - if your head is wrong, you won't shoot straight.

Eagle,

My advice would be, considering the fact that you want a gun for multi functions is that you look at an over and under with preferably a full set of adjustable chokes. This would enable you to cover any amount and variations within the sport without offending anyone.

If you intend on doing clays an over and under will do the job and at the same time will give you the opportunity to be able to shoot live quarry on a normal Pigeon or indeed pheasant/Partridge shoot. Once you have gained experience in your sport you will be able to make an informed decision as to whether you need to expand on your gun ownership.

Regards,

Jimmy

IMHO the best starter gun is an OU 3" chambered steel proof M/C 12bore gun. Go for beretta browning or miroku. Might struggle to find one at £400 but £600 should do you and worth going over your budget remember you will alway spend more on cartridges in the long run than ur gun costs!!!

Edited by utectok

Eagle mate, why not say roughly where you are and see if there are a couple of members that would allow you to visit them on their shoot for an hour or so and quickly try their guns out. That way you could see what a SxS, an O/U and maybe a Semi Auto feel like and then decide which you feel suits you best! :good:

TBH i dont think id really have the knoweldge to know if a gun really fitted me properly or not? Handling shotguns is somewhat alien to me at the moment.

Thats why you need some lessons first and ideally your coach to help you choose a suitable gun, shot gunning is very different to rifle (air or powder) shooting

:hmm: I'd rather have a Hatsan air-rifle than a Hatsan shotgun.

As said above if you're only shooting pigeons a semi is great but for an all-rounder a decent O/U will do you well. Easier to clean and less to go wrong. Just make sure it fits. When you bring it to your shoulder it shouldn't catch under your armpit (stock is too long), nor should you have to force your head down to look along the rib (stock too short)

Edited by Colster

Eagle,

My advice would be, considering the fact that you want a gun for multi functions is that you look at an over and under with preferably a full set of adjustable chokes. This would enable you to cover any amount and variations within the sport without offending anyone.

If you intend on doing clays an over and under will do the job and at the same time will give you the opportunity to be able to shoot live quarry on a normal Pigeon or indeed pheasant/Partridge shoot. Once you have gained experience in your sport you will be able to make an informed decision as to whether you need to expand on your gun ownership.

Regards,

Jimmy

Thanks, a very good point worth considering. If full chokes weren't part of the package, i suppose they are available seperately too arn't they..

Thats why you need some lessons first and ideally your coach to help you choose a suitable gun, shot gunning is very different to rifle (air or powder) shooting

Yeah i will definately look into booking afew lessons, and see what i like the feel of, Makes + models etc.

:hmm: I'd rather have a Hatsan air-rifle than a Hatsan shotgun.

As said above if you're only shooting pigeons a semi is great but for an all-rounder a decent O/U will do you well. Easier to clean and less to go wrong. Just make sure it fits. When you bring it to your shoulder it shouldn't catch under your armpit (stock is too long), nor should you have to force your head down to look along the rib (stock too short)

Thanks, i was wondering how to determine a good fit, and you've kind of answered that for me. Any of tips in regards to fit?

Thanks, a very good point worth considering. If full chokes weren't part of the package, i suppose they are available seperately too arn't they..

Depends on the gun, some have interchangeable chokes, some you're stuck with how it came out of the factory. tbh I wouldn't worry about this too much. For pigeons over deeks it's not a big problem what you use. If you're looking at long range clays or high game birds then it can make a difference but for the rest of us mere mortals you'll learn to shoot with what you've got

Thanks, i was wondering how to determine a good fit, and you've kind of answered that for me. Any of tips in regards to fit?

That will get you started. I went into a gunshop and tried a few and asked him in each case what the LOP (Length Of Pull - distance from the back of the butt to the trigger (front trigger in double trigger guns)) was. This gave me an idea of what length fitted me but it does get a little more complicated. Height of comb (basically the top of the stock where it lines up along your cheek) can be a purely individual preference or if you have high cheek bones make a lot of difference as to whether you get punched in the face every time you fire the gun. Personally, I like around 14.5" LOP and a low comb, I'm 5'11", average build, right-handed and right eye dominant so I probably don't need anything unusual in terms of fit.

Having a few lessons at a clay ground is probably the best way to sort out what works for you... or do it the way I did and go through 3 shotguns before you find one that fits well. I suggest the former...but either way fit is the most important thing. You'll learn to shoot with a gun that doesn't fit but you'll spend time and money getting there... and possibly get frustrated with it.

Thanks for detailed advice buddy, very helpful.

As your active in this thread i may aswell ask you another question you may be able to advise on.

Barrel length?

Im around 5 ft 9.5", again average build but fairly built due to the gym.

For my intended purpose (Pigeons) and height/ build, what barrell length should i be looking for? I was under the impression that 28-30" would suffice, or should i be concentrating just on the fit for now being a novice.

Edited by Eagle.

Why ask when you just ignore what has been said. You don't want a semi. :no:

With all due respect, i asked for people's opinions, as there is no right and wrong choice of gun for what im looking to use it for.

I stated i was interested in both types of gun, not just one.

Please dont think the advice im recieving is falling on deaf ears.

Thanks

Edited by Eagle.