any mechanics about?

nathanhutchison

hi.

i recently took my car into a garage to get the tracking done (way out after a heavy bump last year) anyway the tracking being out was causing the car to pull to the left.

so into the garage it went. the guys at the garage said that nothing was wrong with the car, except for the tracking, and fixed it for £30.

however, when i got the car back, it now pulls to the left and right each in turn, the steering somtimes goes loose. there is a loud "brrrrrr" noise with alot of vibration in the steering wheel when i go over 50.

does anyone know what this could be?

im taking the car back to the garage today, but want to maybe have a rough idea of whats wrong so i dont get ripped off (bearing in mind these problems only started after they "fixed" the tracking in the first place)

any help would be greatly appreciated

nathan

The symptoms suggest loose wheel nuts.

If none of the other symptoms were there before, other than pulling to the left - it can be little else.

The only things he would touch on your car are steering arm nut, where is meets the track rod end and possibly your wheel nuts.

Have you got the wheel balance checked, you could have a slight buckle in the rim, which causes vibration at certain speeds, the large pot hole you hit would definitly have caused this.

It could be that the wheel was put out of balance by the knock, but the strain on the steering with everything

being out of alignment masked it.

Now things are 'straight' the wheel's more able to vibrate.

Perhaps.

Nial

I went through a stage of using part worn tires as I was sick of getting nice tires ruined on site. I started getting a bad noise and some serious steering wheel reverb over 70mph then 60 mph and eventually 50 mph over the course of 200 miles. The tire pressures were fine and the bearings were good so I carried on driving. When i had a proper look in day light there was a flat spot across the width of the tire and itlooked fit to burst. God knows what that tire had been through before ze germans shipped it to the UK. Still use them though, saves a packet.

I went through a stage of using part worn tires as I was sick of getting nice tires ruined on site. I started getting a bad noise and some serious steering wheel reverb over 70mph then 60 mph and eventually 50 mph over the course of 200 miles. The tire pressures were fine and the bearings were good so I carried on driving. When i had a proper look in day light there was a flat spot across the width of the tire and itlooked fit to burst. God knows what that tire had been through before ze germans shipped it to the UK. Still use them though, saves a packet.

think I would have learn't a lesson here :good: part worn,no history :no: this is your life and your passengers