Dispatching wounded pigeons.

king ratcatcher

What do you do.  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do.

• Break neck
    • preist
    • another pellet

:P:/ What a funny thing to ask, I can,t stop laughing at the time i kept racing pigeons and one old cock bird had to go, I put on a pair of rigger gloves and off i whent to the loft early one morning, grabbed the old cock bird in my left hand grabbed his head in my right swung my right hand at approx 6omph threw the old cockbird to the ground feathers all over! and yes he shook his head and off he flew strutting his stuff :/:)

I kept him for another 3 years b4 he came home with his breastbone broken and i had to put him to sleep, this time very quickly and humanely

I hold the bird in my left hand with the wings held down,then turn its head about two times until you feel its neck crack, and its dead.

I use this method on pigeons,ducks,geese and the head never comes off.

yeh me too...just keep twisting its head, quickly as possible, but no pulling involved, so no chance of pulling a head off!

It works well for any bird!

Quick question.

Only go for head shots....but I must be hitting the wrong bit of the head!!!

Got one this morning, blood spurting everywhere.

Pigeon was not going to get up again, but it still seemed full of beans!!

So I broke it back like in 'The Pigeon Shooter', still would have been flapping if I hadn't been holding on to it.

Ended up smaking it head on a brick.

Eyes shut and no movement.

Heart was still beating.

When can you be sure it is dead?

How much of the flapping, rolling around is just reflexes.

I am concerned that I'm making its last few seconds very painful, when I expected the lights to go out instantly.

I've tried the next pull and twist but the head keeps coming off in my hands!!

Pete

A mate of mine shot a woodie in the head... fell down, as was well we thought.

Just to be safe he shot it again with multi-shot pistol to back of head. Right no movement... it's dead... however he went to pick it up and it started flapping again.. ;):lol:

Had to break neck to stop all nerves etc.

MH :lol:

I once shot a starling (when it was still legal!), in the head at about 25 yards.

I went to pick it up, and as i got about 5 yards from it, it got up, and flew away. I say flew away, it only went a few yards, but it was still alive.

when I eventually got near it, I shot it in the chest, and it stopped still. On inspection, a good portion of its skull was missing. Hardcore birds!

I also had a rat once a few years ago, head shot at about 20 yards. It was kicking a lot, but I assumed it was just nerves. When I got to it, I shot it point blank in the head again, just to be sure, and it carried on kicking. It was really going for it. After a few more shots, it actually got up, and tried to scramble away. I was in the midst of reloading, so my reactions were to kick it, to stop it getting under the shed. It was still going for it when I got to it. I then shot it once in the chest, and it just stopped.

It was weird.

Sometimes that happens!

I had a really peachy shot yesterday, collard dove 30-35 yds in a tree (SAFE back stop, nothing but fields so if it missed it would have fallen safely!). When I reached it I had to finish it off just incase it wasn't just nerves. Went for another pellet as that was just the easiest way to deal with it.