A day on the rape fields

BIG BILLY

wouldnt realy call myself a shooting man and after today im not going to be one either, whilst out on tuesday doing other pest control we noticed on a rape field that it was getting hammered by 100's of pigeons, so after afew calls we arranged to have a go at them today, so first thing this morn we were at the fields as it was braking light with motor full of gear, we decided to split up and set 3 hides up, one in the field where the birds were and 2 in another rape field on other side of road, on tuesday we had had a frost the night before but today it was braking flaggs it was that warm, there were no wind aswell, we had hyper flappers with us that wouldnt flap, birds on bouncers that wouldnt bounce and a spinner that wouldnt spin as we broke it straight away we were there, and guess what, THERE WASNT A SINGLE BIRD IN SIGHT, we sat there till dinner and we decide to say, **** it and jacked, if thats what you call decoying over rape then its not for me, shame realy as i have a fair bit of land to go at but from now on ile leave it to the proper pigeon shooters, :lol::lol:

wouldnt realy call myself a shooting man and after today im not going to be one either, whilst out on tuesday doing other pest control we noticed on a rape field that it was getting hammered by 100's of pigeons, so after afew calls we arranged to have a go at them today, so first thing this morn we were at the fields as it was braking light with motor full of gear, we decided to split up and set 3 hides up, one in the field where the birds were and 2 in another rape field on other side of road, on tuesday we had had a frost the night before but today it was braking flaggs it was that warm, there were no wind aswell, we had hyper flappers with us that wouldnt flap, birds on bouncers that wouldnt bounce and a spinner that wouldnt spin as we broke it straight away we were there, and guess what, THERE WASNT A SINGLE BIRD IN SIGHT, we sat there till dinner and we decide to say, **** it and jacked, if thats what you call decoying over rape then its not for me, shame realy as i have a fair bit of land to go at but from now on ile leave it to the proper pigeon shooters, :lol::lol:

The key to rape shooting these days is a prolonged cold spell and a good wind :yes:;)

Dont give up hope.

It's just that time of year, but I keep going out, not least because I enjoy it but also it shows willing to the farmer. I met one today who knows the pigeons may not really hammer his rape but wants me to stop them hammering a particular area of the fields as this makes life difficult when spraying and harvesting if different areas of the field are at different stages. There are only a few around at the moment but they will increase so I will be keeping an eye on his farm. In return he is happy for me to shoot when he has drilled his spring beans even though he isn't bothered about pigeons hovering up the spilt beans.

Chin up chap! IF you were guaranteed the same results every time, it'd be called bagging, not hunting or pigeon shooting :P

The lousy days just make the great days stand out even further. Even the worse day has its hilight - today the hi-light for me was getting out of the gale force wind and driven rain, despite not having fired a shot! As they say, excrement happens!

Tomorrow at some point, I'll be chasing up a few new permissions myself - pigeons don't just scare themselves you know!

Duncan

Met with the farmer yesterday who told me that he has 2 rape fields one of which was getting hammered, the other not really touched. I went out today and was all set up by 7:30. Only a slight wind when I got there but it picked up well as the morning went on. Plenty of pigeons about and were coming into my pattern from all directions. I haven't been out in over 20 years and had forgotten how fast they can come in on a good wind. At 9.30 the local school had a couple of football matches start. That killed the action dead. Until then I had had 27 shots but my kill ratio was a bit low and I only ended up with 6. Farmer happy though and I'll be back on the same field next week.

Have to say, I had heard a lot of negative reports about magnets but bought one anyway. What a buy!!! It helped to turn them in from 400 yards away. Brilliant!! Pattern also included 20 half shells, three bouncers and a couple of hypaflaps.

Very pleased with my first outing and the birds are still on the rape on my permission.