single vs double trigger question

dooseydog

Can anybody help me. I am a social shooter who just enjoys (trying) to hit clays.

Having to down grade from a Miroku MK 38 the only guns really in my budget now are SXS or O/U's with a double trigger !!!!

Do any forum members shoot clays with a double trigger ? or see any issues using one on a sporting clay ground (Bisley)?

Many thanks

James

I have seen single trigger O/U's for sale quite cheaply, why not state a budget and see if anyone has anything?

Have you tried Guntrader website?

I can see an argument for advantages to either in the field shooting live quarry, but not so sure if double trigger would be the best move for clays.

I have seen single trigger O/U's for sale quite cheaply, why not state a budget and see if anyone has anything?

Have you tried Guntrader website?

I can see an argument for advantages to either in the field shooting live quarry, but not so sure if double trigger would be the best move for clays.

many thanks , put ad up in wanted section , will only ever shoot clays however as I said only socially

I must say that as an avid fan of the single trigger I have no issues using a double trigger gun and once used to it you will find no disadvantage to it.

You will find it a lot stranger if you change from O/U to S x S.

thank you for the advice - warning re: going from 0/U to sxs

I shoot with both double and single trigger guns.

The only disadvantage to a double trigger gun is that people who are used to a single trigger may struggle a bit until they get used to it, in the same way as people often have trouble on using a gun with an automatic safety at first.

I shoot with both double and single trigger guns.

The only disadvantage to a double trigger gun is that people who are used to a single trigger may struggle a bit until they get used to it, in the same way as people often have trouble on using a gun with an automatic safety at first.

great , this will increase my options so on all the advice and PM's I have received double trigger is the way I will be going

I have a double trigger gun which has single trigger action, in other words I can use the front trigger twice - for bottom barrel then top or rear trigger for top barrel then bottom. It's a system which seems unique to Laurona's but I 'think' browning did something similar, plus my Laurona is not a clay gun by design but does the job for casual English sporting :yes:

atvb

sg1

I prefer using my double trigger when out rough shooting as I can quickly choose which choke I'd like. Also, if I open the gun after firing one shot, I can close it again and quickly fire if an opportunity arises. Not so easy with the single trigger as you'd have to flick the selector over which takes longer than you'd think.

For clay shooting it really doesn't matter. Moving your finger back to the rear trigger isn't at all difficult. Like riding a bike - you do it sub-consciously. So if they're cheaper I wouldn't let it put off.

I prefer using my double trigger when out rough shooting as I can quickly choose which choke I'd like. Also, if I open the gun after firing one shot, I can close it again and quickly fire if an opportunity arises. Not so easy with the single trigger as you'd have to flick the selector over which takes longer than you'd think.

For clay shooting it really doesn't matter. Moving your finger back to the rear trigger isn't at all difficult. Like riding a bike - you do it sub-consciously. So if they're cheaper I wouldn't let it put off.

:stupid:

I prefer using my double trigger when out rough shooting as I can quickly choose which choke I'd like.

Therein lies the beauty of a double trigger gun.

I shoot a couple of 90-100+ year old guns for game, and they are cyl and full and 1/4 and full. The ability to choose instantly between an open pattern or a bucket load of choke is IMHO a joy once you get the hang of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a double trigger gun which has single trigger action, in other words I can use the front trigger twice - for bottom barrel then top or rear trigger for top barrel then bottom. It's a system which seems unique to Laurona's but I 'think' browning did something similar, plus my Laurona is not a clay gun by design but does the job for casual English sporting :yes:

atvb

sg1

Yes, the Laurona U/O DST ( Double selective trigger) is a gun that can be found in the £150 - £250 range.

Instead of having a single selective trigger, it has two, but either will fire both barrels, only the order changes according to which trigger is selected.

The principle to why DT over ST, is in the concept of a gun being used as a "double gun" in hunting.

If you have a DT game gun, chances are you load pigeon shot in the open choke barrel, and some thing heavy like 42g 4s in the tight one for rabbits at 40yds.

Its quicker to select the better loaded barrel from two triggers when suitable game presents itself, than it is to fiddle with an SST slide.

This is the idea that when hunting you are just carrying two guns joined together, each set up for something different, and each with its own trigger. As second shot if you miss first, will always be with a load / choke unlikely to be ideal for the quarry / range - you are using this concept to always try to achieve first barrel effectiveness. Pigeon shot won't deal with a rabbit at 40yds, and the heavy load will decimate an incoming bird - kill yes, but nothing left for the pot if you want the cooking out of it.

An ST gun allows two shots in quick succession, good for clay disciplines with full use of the gun, or pairs together. This is not to say that you cannot get very proficient at shooting clays with a DT gun, just takes a little longer to get used to it.

If you get an SST and use it for clays, it allows you to swap over the order that choking is used, so normally you have it set bottom ( 1/4) first and top (1/2) second - but for, say, an incoming pair you might want to reverse that. The downside of doing so will be muzzle-flip from firing Top first in a U/O, but the pattern sizes will be more appropriate. In the DT gun you just reverse the use of trigger order for this, or, in either case you can change the chokes for the target presentation and still use bttm first.

Everything is a balance - there are advantages and disadvantages to every trigger system, and the choice also depends on what type of shooting you do predominantly - but any set up can be used in any circumstance provided you are skilled with the gun.

Yes, the Laurona U/O DST ( Double selective trigger) is a gun that can be found in the £150 - £250 range.

Instead of having a single selective trigger, it has two, but either will fire both barrels, only the order changes according to which trigger is selected.

The principle to why DT over ST, is in the concept of a gun being used as a "double gun" in hunting.

If you have a DT game gun, chances are you load pigeon shot in the open choke barrel, and some thing heavy like 42g 4s in the tight one for rabbits at 40yds.

Its quicker to select the better loaded barrel from two triggers when suitable game presents itself, than it is to fiddle with an SST slide.

This is the idea that when hunting you are just carrying two guns joined together, each set up for something different, and each with its own trigger. As second shot if you miss first, will always be with a load / choke unlikely to be ideal for the quarry / range - you are using this concept to always try to achieve first barrel effectiveness. Pigeon shot won't deal with a rabbit at 40yds, and the heavy load will decimate an incoming bird - kill yes, but nothing left for the pot if you want the cooking out of it.

An ST gun allows two shots in quick succession, good for clay disciplines with full use of the gun, or pairs together. This is not to say that you cannot get very proficient at shooting clays with a DT gun, just takes a little longer to get used to it.

If you get an SST and use it for clays, it allows you to swap over the order that choking is used, so normally you have it set bottom ( 1/4) first and top (1/2) second - but for, say, an incoming pair you might want to reverse that. The downside of doing so will be muzzle-flip from firing Top first in a U/O, but the pattern sizes will be more appropriate. In the DT gun you just reverse the use of trigger order for this, or, in either case you can change the chokes for the target presentation and still use bttm first.

Everything is a balance - there are advantages and disadvantages to every trigger system, and the choice also depends on what type of shooting you do predominantly - but any set up can be used in any circumstance provided you are skilled with the gun.

Hi,

With the greatest of respect, Clayman, stick to advice on clay shooting where you're on very firm ground as I'm afraid to say that from the above your knowledge of game shooting and loads is way off beam.

Cheers

Hi,

With the greatest of respect, Clayman, stick to advice on clay shooting where you're on very firm ground as I'm afraid to say that from the above your knowledge of game shooting and loads is way off beam.

Cheers

While you say you don't agree with what I think - you don't open the debate.

I am by no means unique in having these views, have expressed them before and received both support and contra views. For the benefit of every-one, including myself as I'm always interested in other views and have been know to change my advice following new input, please tell us all what you think and the rationale behind your thinking.

I'd agree that my views may be not main stream, as many have never considered the superior use of the DT in game situations over the SST, but when the idea of the Game DT being used as a double gun (and I never said this was for all situations, its simply one of the options that comes up) is discussed, many see the merit in the concept.

So, open the debate, put you views and concepts on the table - its the reader who decides which advice to take - but simply saying mine is off key with out stating why and the alternative view educates no-one.

NHF

J

Edited by clayman