Sparrow Hawk Cull

old'un

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So has these birds done some damage ? your post does'nt explain its self why you want them distroyed ?

Perhaps I should explain why I think the Sparrow hawk should be removed from the protected birds list

First there are too many of them, they take mainly song birds and unlike the Magpies they hunt birds all year round.

Most song birds in this country have been used to a small numbers of Sparrow Hawks over the years but this last ten years we have seen an explosion in their numbers (thanks to the RSPB) a Sparrow Hawk needs to take a couple of song birds a day, just add that up over a year and you can see why song birds are on the decline.

I presume you all would shoot a magpie if one came in range, so I have used the Magpie as a yard stick because the Magpie seems to be number one enemy when it comes to controlling vermin on pheasant shoot, Magpies only take eggs and chicks in the spring, but the Sparrow Hawk takes birds all year round so why have him on the protected birds list?

Well then my opinion is NO. My reason behind this is where would this be leading us to kill all preditor birds so all others can breed large numbers ? this is "life" through the animal/fish/bird chain there always a preditor ! Natures way of control.

so why kill Magpies?????

Here’s a short answer to some of the replies.

You cannot go around saying its ok to shoot Magpies because they take eggs and chicks and in the same breath say the Sparrow Hawk should not be removed from the protected birds list, think about it!!

I don't think anybody gives a flying **** what your opinion on the matter is.

Sparrowhawks are a natural predator and have no serious impact on song bird numbers.

Domestic cats and humans on the other hand, have a huge impact on numbers of songbirds. Perhaps the cull should start there. <_<

If you want to alienate field sports in the eyes of the public and the law, you're going about it the right way :no:

Edited by Chard

Here’s a short answer to some of the replies.

You cannot go around saying its ok to shoot Magpies because they take eggs and chicks and in the same breath say the Sparrow Hawk should not be removed from the protected birds list, think about it!!

It's a numbers game I should think.

According to RSPB figures there are approx 40,000 breedings pairs of Sparrowhawk compared to 650,000 breeding pairs of Magpie.

Sparrowhawk numbers have only recently started to climb, and I would suspect will remain fairly static. However, if they were to reach similar figures to Magpie then I wouldn't be surprised to see a change of policy.

My own personal opinion is NO, they shouldn't be culled.

Sparrowhawks are a natural predator and have no serious impact on song bird numbers.

Domestic cats and humans on the other hand, have a huge impact on numbers of songbirds. Perhaps the cull should start there. <_<

If you want to alienate field sports in the eyes of the public and the law, you're going about it the right way :no:

Thanks for the reply, funny how bad language comes into the conversation when someone knows very little of what they are replying to.

My question was do you think the Sparrow Hawk should be removed from the protected birds list.

I said nothings about braking the law!!

Thanks for the reply, funny how bad language comes into the conversation when someone knows very little of what they are replying to.

My question was do you think the Sparrow Hawk should be removed from the protected birds list.

What makes you think I know nothing about raptors, preacher?

I've argued about this **** with people like you for decades, so don't tell me what I know about and what I don't know about.

You lose a couple of crappy pheasant poults and you want to change the shape of the countryside forever and to hell with what anybody else wants :rolleyes:

Edited by Chard

Ho just one more thing I don’t think the public are that stupid take a look at this link

http://songbirds-slaughter.org.uk/2010/07/05/155#comment-201

Old`un, it seems you the one that knows very little of what they are talking about. 1, Magpies are protected 2, There is NO protected birds list and 3, its sparrowhawk, not sparrow hawk.