Chokes ( advice required )

kevin15

The strange thing is that multichokes started the big "choke debate".

When the only guns you could buy were "fixed" chokes, normally half and threequarters, shooters got use to that and shot accordingly.

Assuming a normal (30 yardish) decoy layout, I have had a lot of success using improved cylinder and quarter choke.

On one or two locations I shoot, I change to quarter and one half choke.

These locations frequently provide higher passing birds and I am happier with a slightly tighter choke.

The important word is "happier", I think its 75% confidence and 25% ballistics.

Well, it is with me. :thumbs:

I think you should shoot with what your happiest with....I normally use 1/4 & 1/2...............but when I know I'm going to be shooting at 45 yards plus.........I change to 3/4 & full.........recently I've seen alot of shots taken at 60-70 yards, by a very experienced shooter.........& 90% of the shots are kills................not that I could do it.........but it's good to see.

The long range shooter, is the  gamekeeper on one of the estates. He uses an old 30 inch magnam,sbs, which is choked at 3/4 & full. Through it he put's 30gm 6's, with plastic wads. He paid £100 for the gun, but it's probably worth about £300.

I've watched him shoot a left & a right at 50 yards & 70 yards, shots that I would'nt even lift the gun up to. And he'll take shots like that regulary. Mind you he tells me that he's struggles with shots below 25 yards, & I don't usually have trouble with those.

:thumbs:

But like you said in a previous post Cranfield,"it's not what you got, but the way that you use it"

I wish I could shoot half as good as that!!!!... :D

That is probably an awseome wildfowling weapon with those chokes.

I knew a chap who shot an old Charles Boswell 30" sbs choked full and threequarter on a high bird pheasant shoot.

He hit "impossible" birds.

On walked-up days he used a different gun. He said that if he didn,t, every thing he shot got "casserolled".

lazza, the fact that he misses at 25 yards with such tight choking, could give you a another answer to your "pigeons from behind" problem.

It's a good point Cranfield...........at the moment I use 1/4 & 1/2, & I'm not sure that it's down to the choking of the barrells thats the problem.............probably more the fact that the shot isn't going to the right place. Up until last year I used a skeet gun & at normal decoying distances, it was excellent. It's downfall was, when the birds became a bit wary & started skirting the pattern, the shot pattern was too spread to have any effect. Hence the multi choke, to give me an option to tighten the shot pattern.

I think it's probably one of those "personal choice" things, & if your confident with what your doing,...stick with it!

I'd still love to be able to knock'em down regulary at long range though.. :thumbs: ....................one day maybe...............

:thumbs: Evining all well i youst to shoot with a guy who had a remington 1100 .Sat round our local pit shooting ducks you could not out shoot him ,out in the feild after pigeons he could not hit a thing! It was not untill he tryed to sell the gun that he found out their was 2" missing from the end of his gun!  :laugh:

:thumbs: Evining all well i youst to shoot with a guy who had a remington 1100 .Sat round our local pit shooting ducks you could not out shoot him ,out in the feild after pigeons he could not hit a thing! It was not untill he tryed to sell the gun that he found out their was 2" missing from the end of his gun!  :laugh: