hw99s how to get more power

co55ie69

hi all iv just bought a hw99s, nice little rifle, but a bit short on power,i have a bsa lightning 2.2 with a theoban gas ram in it out of a 1.77, with a couple of other mods, i want to get more power from my new hw99s but theoban dont do gas rams for these rifles,does anyone now a way of getting the power up on one of these apart from sending it away and waiting on lists and companies to get stock, iv seen titan xs mainsprings, do these do anything on the power front for my rifle and is there anything i could do to it, any info would be greatly appreciated, regards timmy

increase in power...? :unsure:

have you chrono'd it to find out what its putting out?

In my experience most weirauchs are nearly always over 10ft/lbs when they are tired let alone brand new. I used to have a 99k that put out 13.5ft/lbs for its first shot if it was left for any length of time, then dropped back to 10.75.

My suggestion would be as above, unless you are deliberately tuning the 99 into FAC territory, then get an FAC and apply for a r/f, you will have all the power you need then.

A gas-ram or spring from a .177 caliber air rifle will put a .22 caliber air rifle over the legal limit; I would earnestly recommend having the power of your air rifle measured at your local registered firearms dealer. For an offense which may seem relatively minor to some it carries a heavy penalty. As always ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law! :no:

A gas-ram or spring from a .177 caliber air rifle will put a .22 caliber air rifle over the legal limit; I would earnestly recommend having the power of your air rifle measured at your local registered firearms dealer. For an offense which may seem relatively minor to some it carries a heavy penalty. As always ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law! :no:

POPPER dont be daft. if he takes it to a gun shop and its even .1 over they by law take it off him, best thing you can do is find someone local with a chrono mate get it checked out.

POPPER dont be daft. if he takes it to a gun shop and its even .1 over they by law take it off him, best thing you can do is find someone local with a chrono mate get it checked out.

They will only take it off him if it's over the limit. Once it's in their hands he will have to have its power brought back down to below 12 ft/lb.

Having an air rifle temporarily confiscated is a whole lot better than being prosecuted for illegal ownership of a Section 1 Firearm in my book! :yes:

yes but if they test it and its over thats good bye rifle. no ifs or buts. they will not say you can turn it down they will just take it . best to get a mate to check it on there chrono first as no body wants to lose something they have worked on. just because its just over . by law the shop must take the fire arm. and the person how owns it will have to explain to the law why they own a air rifle thats fac. if he stopped in the street on the way to get it checked the cops can take it to test them selfs , its a load of **** but thats the way this countrys laws work. he may even get a ban for life from keeping any sort of fire arms . if some one else can explain it better please do

Hogwash I'm afraid.

They'll have to tell him its over the limit and offer a solution, but either way advise him of the situation. The RFD is not an agent of the police.

They could take the spring out (a less than 5 minute job) if he wanted to grind a coil off and refit, no spring means a non functioning gun and the cops can't do you for having a non-functioning air rifle!

Either way, it's a case of get the gunshop to bring it down to legal limit (as they have a chrono), or buy a chrono and DIY it - HW's are very easy to work on btw :good:

I bought a HW97k - .22 went off like a tune FT springer - but it was putting out about 14fpe! Soon had a coil off and smoothed the end with took it down to about 11.6fpe and barely any recoil. Fabulous bit of kit that I shouldn't have sold :oops:

Duncan

Edited by The Duncan

this might be just me being daft, but the assumption is that you don't have an FAC. most of this thread is entirely irrelevant if you do have one! do you have one? If so, it might be good to update the post, so people need not be wary of telling you how to break the law! if you haven't got one, as above, get your BSA checked post haste!

Hogwash I'm afraid.

They'll have to tell him its over the limit and offer a solution, but either way advise him of the situation. The RFD is not an agent of the police.

They could take the spring out (a less than 5 minute job) if he wanted to grind a coil off and refit, no spring means a non functioning gun and the cops can't do you for having a non-functioning air rifle!

Either way, it's a case of get the gunshop to bring it down to legal limit (as they have a chrono), or buy a chrono and DIY it - HW's are very easy to work on btw :good:

I bought a HW97k - .22 went off like a tune FT springer - but it was putting out about 14fpe! Soon had a coil off and smoothed the end with took it down to about 11.6fpe and barely any recoil. Fabulous bit of kit that I shouldn't have sold :oops:

Duncan

Most UK Air Gun Shops Do not have Gunsmiths or Facilities to work on Customers Air Gun's

But are legally required to report Air Gun's Chronoed in front of them to Police Fire Arms Team

Under threat of loosing their RFD and a very Large Fine

Especially if the Shop does not have a FAC Rated RFD

Yes Gas Rams can be pumped up - But most are designed that other part's will fail

if used over a Certian power -

When repaired and found to exceed Sub 12FP - It will make the owner liable for Fire Arms

Offences if not on Ticket -

As with most Gun's and power - Try Different Air Gun Pellets - before thinking about

playing with Gun -

BOB/R

Most UK Air Gun Shops Do not have Gunsmiths or Facilities to work on Customers Air Gun's

But are legally required to report Air Gun's Chronoed in front of them to Police Fire Arms Team

Under threat of loosing their RFD and a very Large Fine...

As with most Gun's and power - Try Different Air Gun Pellets - before thinking about

playing with Gun -

BOB/R

Well, in my experience, it's a law that is little known and 'more honoured in the breach than in the undertaking'.

As for trying different pellets, when mr plod tests a gun he tests a few different types of pellets, not just the least air efficient. If your air rifle is over with any airgun pellet then it counts as a firearm.

hi all iv just bought a hw99s, nice little rifle, but a bit short on power,i have a bsa lightning 2.2 with a theoban gas ram in it out of a 1.77, with a couple of other mods, i want to get more power from my new hw99s but theoban dont do gas rams for these rifles,does anyone now a way of getting the power up on one of these apart from sending it away and waiting on lists and companies to get stock, iv seen titan xs mainsprings, do these do anything on the power front for my rifle and is there anything i could do to it, any info would be greatly appreciated, regards timmy

Why are people so obsessed with taking thier air rifle to the absolute limit? One of the best rifles I have ever had was an AArms s410 .177. I would go up against anyone on a rabbit at 45yds. Deadly accurate and dropped them on the spot. When I eventually chrono'd it it was putting out 10.5 ftlbs. So why would I need to graze 12lbs with all the danger that goes with it? I also have a s410 in .22. The pellet drop on it was nothing like the other .22 air rifles I have had. It took out rabbits like a .22 rimmy and when I chronoed it it was 9.5 ftlbs. After stripping a rebuilding it to do an overhaul, I set the power at 11.5 and whilst I haven't used it on quarry since, the pellet trajectory is so loopy that I am seriously considering turning it back down for greater accuracy. At 9.5-10ftlbs, the damage the accupells were doing to the target media I was using would stop any airgun quarry.

Stay within the legal limit, 10ftlbs is fine and concentrate on the accuracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq1Tt61y95c

Edited by turbo33

Why are people so obsessed with taking thier air rifle to the absolute limit? One of the best rifles I have ever had was an AArms s410 .177. I would go up against anyone on a rabbit at 45yds. Deadly accurate and dropped them on the spot. When I eventually chrono'd it it was putting out 10.5 ftlbs. So why would I need to graze 12lbs with all the danger that goes with it? I also have a s410 in .22. The pellet drop on it was nothing like the other .22 air rifles I have had. It took out rabbits like a .22 rimmy and when I chronoed it it was 9.5 ftlbs. After stripping a rebuilding it to do an overhaul, I set the power at 11.5 and whilst I haven't used it on quarry since, the pellet trajectory is so loopy that I am seriously considering turning it back down for greater accuracy. At 9.5-10ftlbs, the damage the accupells were doing to the target media I was using would stop any airgun quarry.

Stay within the legal limit, 10ftlbs is fine and concentrate on the accuracy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq1Tt61y95c

I completely agree with your logic about power. No need to graze the limit. 10 is fine. Accuracy is everything. I don't understand how your trajectory became more loopy after increasing the power 'though ? More power, faster pellet, less drop over any given range. Or are you just saying the accuracy dropped. In which case, yes, I'd rather have 9.5 with accuracy than 11.5 and some uncertainty on where the pellet's hitting.

I completely agree with your logic about power. No need to graze the limit. 10 is fine. Accuracy is everything. I don't understand how your trajectory became more loopy after increasing the power 'though ? More power, faster pellet, less drop over any given range. Or are you just saying the accuracy dropped. In which case, yes, I'd rather have 9.5 with accuracy than 11.5 and some uncertainty on where the pellet's hitting.

With most patterns of air rifle pellet instability problems usually only start to occur around the 900 FPS mark, the higher velocity would actually give your rifle a flatter trajectory. :yes:

In theory yes, but not for most mortals - usually results in a wounding; not what we're after surely.

Duncan

I think the point he was making is: that whether your rifle is putting out 9.9 or 11.9 ft/lb, it won't have a drastic effect on your hunting. As you will still have ample killing-power at the ranges hunters typically engage their quarry with an air rifle. However the latter will put you closer to potentially having an unfortunate run in with the law! :ninja:

In theory yes, but not for most mortals - usually results in a wounding; not what we're after surely.

Duncan

The Duncan these mortals should be learning to take every advantage out of a legal limit air rifle

they should be putting targets up from ten yards out to 70 yards,

they should practice in all weathers,

that way the legal limit air rifle is a great little tool in the rite hands :good: