Made a decision finaly on a 308

foggy011983

After months of debating between a .270 and a .308 I have finaly decided to go with a .308.

I know the .270 has a flatter trajectory but to be honest that only comes in to play on longer shots and I dont think I will be shooting further than 200-300m anyhow, so that really doesnt come in to play.

I also seem to like the choice of ammo for the .308 and am looking forward in to reloading some of my own ammo.

Can I ask what rifle people would reconmend as a good .308? I'm not after the bees knees that costs £20,0000000 just a general gun that is a reasonable price to do the job and be accurate. Obvioulsy saying that I dont want to spend say £400 on a gun that is cheap and end up having to buy another gun later on because it is complete rubbish.

I cant say a price I have in mind to spend as I will pay what is required at the end of the day.

Many thanks

Steve

After months of debating between a .270 and a .308 I have finaly decided to go with a .308.

I know the .270 has a flatter trajectory but to be honest that only comes in to play on longer shots and I dont think I will be shooting further than 200-300m anyhow, so that really doesnt come in to play.

I also seem to like the choice of ammo for the .308 and am looking forward in to reloading some of my own ammo.

Can I ask what rifle people would reconmend as a good .308? I'm not after the bees knees that costs £20,0000000 just a general gun that is a reasonable price to do the job and be accurate. Obvioulsy saying that I dont want to spend say £400 on a gun that is cheap and end up having to buy another gun later on because it is complete rubbish.

I cant say a price I have in mind to spend as I will pay what is required at the end of the day.

Many thanks

Steve

CZ, Remington, Howa, Tikka, etc etc all offer sensibly priced .308 that work! :good:

makes a loud bang and seems to hit what its pointed at :lol:

what sort of budget are you looking at and what will it be used for are probably what we need to know before you can work out what will suit. The PH is a bargain if its an occasional stalking tool but if you want it modded and a rifle to keep and use a lot then you may want to go newer.

Thanks for the quick replies. I do like the Tikka and CZ rifles.

The two other rifles I own are CZ and I must admit I am very impressed by them for their price. My .22 I can get a tight 1 inch grouping at 150 yards which I was surprised with(giving 2 marks on scope compensation). My .17 has the same grouping at 150 yards on the cross hairs although I want to try some more longer distance shots to fully test that out, say 200 or 300 yards.

If the .308's are as good as the Tikka I may go for a 308 by CZ or is it worth the gamble and go with the Tikka LOL?

makes a loud bang and seems to hit what its pointed at :lol:

what sort of budget are you looking at and what will it be used for are probably what we need to know before you can work out what will suit. The PH is a bargain if its an occasional stalking tool but if you want it modded and a rifle to keep and use a lot then you may want to go newer.

As I said the budget I am prepared to spend what is required although I would like it to be a reasonable cost. I will probably go for a new gun like I have done with my others. I prefer this as you know where you stand then to its previous life.

I am mainly going to be using it for deer on my permission I have, although I wouldnt mind doing some red stalking and wild boar days later on.

Cheers steve

foggy , you have made a wise choice with the .308 . I have all ways advocated the .308 on this forum for shooting deer and foxes and any thing else . If you start to load your own try the 150 grain bullet driven by 45 grains of vit 140 .This is the only load that I now load in my ruger .308 and it is good for all deer and foxes . This load will shoot MOA at 100 yards in my rifle . Best of luck .

Harnser .

foggy , you have made a wise choice with the .308 . I have all ways advocated the .308 on this forum for shooting deer and foxes and any thing else . If you start to load your own try the 150 grain bullet driven by 45 grains of vit 140 .This is the only load that I now load in my ruger .308 and it is good for all deer and foxes . This load will shoot MOA at 100 yards in my rifle . Best of luck .

Harnser .

Thank you. I think it may be the first wise choice ive made this year lol

Ok ive now filled in the variation form and thought I would see what you guys think of my reasoning before I send it.

Ive said that I would like the variation for culling deer on the permissions I have, going on organised deer and wild boar shoots and also to cull a fox that is attacking a local chicken farmers chickens.

I have also stated that I will attend and gain a dsl 1 certificate before any deer culling will commence and that I hold Basc insurance.

I thought I would push my luck and see if I can gain a open licence as well as it heavily restrics at the moment where I can shoot.

Can any of you think of anything else to add that may help?

Cheers Steve

No No No No...

Don't make it hard for yourself, the 1st sentence is more than enough.

OK so do you think that first sentence is enough grounds for a feo to grant the licence then? personaly I will attend the course any how as I think it would be fun to learn more about them, although it would be easier if I didnt have to complete the course first tbh