how to get clean ...

semiautolee

Ive just bought a fias over/under and the metal work looks like it could be done with buffing up to re-gain its former glory. What would be the best way to get the engraving etc to shine again? as it looks quite dull. any ideas chaps thanks. :good:

before and after pics, i have used brasso and quite happy with the results. thanks guys who helped :good: rest of pics to follow

post-28306-0-55335500-1298417158.jpg

post-28306-0-35776300-1298590636.jpg

Edited by semiautolee

i used some silver cleaning solution earlier but didnt do much. maybe a cloth like you say would be better. :good:

If you're rubbing the metal lightly, you're doing it wrong.

Get a bit of elbow grease in there and when your thumbs are hurting and the cloth is changing colour, you're doing it right ;)

Solvol is slightly abrasive, as many old Brit motorcycle will show. Try PEEK polish or Belgom Alu if a silver cloth is not enough, they are less abrasive and leave a protective sheen, you can get them on the 'net - PEEK is cheaper.

:stupid:

Solvol Autosol is great in the right place but, personally, I wouldn't use it anywhere near a gun. Also, around engraving paste and liquid polishes, Brasso, etc. are going to leave coloured deposits which will be very disfiguring and virtually impossible to remove.

:stupid:

Solvol Autosol is great in the right place but, personally, I wouldn't use it anywhere near a gun. Also, around engraving paste and liquid polishes, Brasso, etc. are going to leave coloured deposits which will be very disfiguring and virtually impossible to remove.

is there anything i can use that wont leave deposits?? or am i just wasteing my time in trying to get it back shiny?? there doesnt seem to be many products that will bring it back. :good:

Edited by semiautolee