First Rifle!

Mooch

As the title states I am looking to get my first rifle. I've had a quick look about the forums and read quite a lot of reviews and my final choices are the BSA Ultra tactical, AA400 or the AA410. I'd like as much feed back as possible on these three rifles to make my final decision a little easier. Thanks to the two on chat last night who helped me too :)

A little about me: I am a new starter to shooting as well as the forums :P. I have shot an air rifle before but only as a child and shot a few revolvers/hand guns while I visited the states. I would like to shoot targets and later go on to quarry so I'd prefer an all round rifle.

I'd go for the AA410 in .177 as a great all rounder but to be honest any of them will do what you want them to do.

My advice is to go into a shop, or better still a club, and try them all out to see which one feels the most comfortable to use.

Edit: The 410 also comes in a carbine so is a little shorter than the classic but not as compact as the Ultra.

Edited by FalconFN

A tricky one.

If you are new to this and want target then it ought to be a .177. The argument rages between shooters as to .177 or .22 for quarry, if you can shoot then it isn't going to make much difference, the effective range of both is similar because of energy transfer. If its rats ONLY then get a .25! :good:

Why not start with something like a BSA Lightning, get to know it and what you want from a rifle before going down the PCP route.

If you buy a PCP to start with the odds are it will not be what you really want some months down the line so you may want to trade it anyway...calibre, single/multi shot, carbine, wood/plastic, bottle/reservoir, etc.

ATB!

Start with a springer mate it's really the only way to learn to shoot.

If you buy a springer set up get one with the iron sights still fitted. When you get it home take the scope off, put a couple of tins of pellets through it (that's a couple of tins of 500) to bed the rifle in, then get your practise and 1/4" - 1" groups using the iron sights at 10m, 20m and 30m targets. When you can get 1" groups at 30m put the scope back on and start again to zero in and practise at 10m, then 20m and then 30m. If you're luck with the weather it may only take you a couple of months...

If your interest is in hunting there's no point in buying an expensive set up to start with and hope to get that 40m pigeon swaying in the breeze at the top of the tree in your garden without any practise. Atb.

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. Tomorrow I collect my rifle which will be *drum roll* ....the BSA Ultra Tactical! Got a hawke eclipse 3-12x50 scope, cheap gun bag (for now), small 3 litre bottle and an empty bank account :P

Final decision was made at the shop after trying just about everything in sight lol. I did actually take a liking to the lightning prior to my arrival but I felt much more comfortable with the ultra. I had no idea choosing my first rifle was going to take so much time and reading but it is all worth it. Can't wait to get out and start using it in the morning :D

PS: Someone must have failed to mention that my other half would want a mini shopping spree before she would stop making me feel guilty about spending as much as I did :(

PS: Someone must have failed to mention that my other half would want a mini shopping spree before she would stop making me feel guilty about spending as much as I did :(

you may of had a budget of £500 but i can only bet that you spend close to a £1000 once you had to pay ur wife lol

its always the same mate every time you get some thing she has to have a new pair of shoes or a new bag lol :good:

you may of had a budget of £500 but i can only bet that you spend close to a £1000 once you had to pay ur wife lol

its always the same mate every time you get some thing she has to have a new pair of shoes or a new bag lol :good:

The budget came and gone pal and then some! Got out today to shoot for the first time today and was well worth every penny.