Reminder to all shooters

wacker

While out lamping last night - i parked my landy on the track leading to a the farm, i had just shot a rabbit, and was walking to retrieve it.

It was 11.30pm, when i noticed some headlamps coming towards up the track - i thought "here we go" it's a police van!

An officer got out and walked up to me, asking me what i was up to. I told him that i was shooting rabbits, and that i have permission. Before he could ask, i said i have a copy of my letter and a print off of boundarys from google earth - which is a good thing to carry with you!

After he crossed checked that it was indeed the correct farm, my vehicle reg etc, he said that there had been a number of break ins at the stables down the road, and that they are keeping an eye on the area.

So, with a fresh pair of pants on, i'd like to remind you not to forget to take your permission letter, licences etc with you when going out - i'm pretty sure it wouldn't have gone so smoothly had i left them at home!

I was out the other day when I saw a transit van coming along one of the tracks and then reversing down to my car... interesting I thought as they stopped and 2 guys got out and started looking round my car and in the windows, so I start to head towards them with the shotgun broken over my arm. I shouted at them to see what they were doing, just as another guy in police uniform got out... opps I thought, took the carts out of the gun and went over to them.

Getting upto the van I noticed it was sitting at a funny angle, the driver had reversed it into a ditch :look: I said, I take it you want to see my permission slip, showed them and the google map (you're right, really handy). I also said that I didn't leave my cert in the car when I'm away from it, they said, no prob will just check it on Shogun, couple of minutes later and I was ok'ed, then watched as they tried to drive the van out... ended up helping to push it out. Wonder if they would take it to a carwash before going back to the station :lol:

I had much the same thing a while ago while shooting rabbits from the truck window with the .22.

I saw a small light heading towards me and notiv=ced it was a bicycle.

I turned the lamp off and unloaded the gun. When he got to the truck i niticed it was a copper in uniform.

Hw ask what i was doing and i told him i was shooting rabbits,

police "is it and air gun"

me "no its a rimfire rifle"

police "are you meant to be here"

me "yes" and showed him my permission slip

police "oh ok i just wondered what the red light in the field was"

me "do you want to see my gun licence"

police "oh do you have one then"

I showed him my shotgun cert and off he went :/

But it does go to show that its best to carry all your paperwork

I had much the same thing a while ago while shooting rabbits from the truck window with the .22.

I saw a small light heading towards me and notiv=ced it was a bicycle.

I turned the lamp off and unloaded the gun. When he got to the truck i niticed it was a copper in uniform.

Hw ask what i was doing and i told him i was shooting rabbits,

police "is it and air gun"

me "no its a rimfire rifle"

police "are you meant to be here"

me "yes" and showed him my permission slip

police "oh ok i just wondered what the red light in the field was"

me "do you want to see my gun licence"

police "oh do you have one then"

I showed him my shotgun cert and off he went :/

But it does go to show that its best to carry all your paperwork

He obviously "Knew" what he was looking at then NOT :lol: :lol:

Hi Guys

The easy way is to just ring the police prior to shooting and enter your name on the shooting log giving your name, how many in your party ,car reg,post code of shoot,and they will give you a reference number and if the bobbys arrive to check you out they will cross ref your details on the shooting log.When i have completed shooting for the night i ring again to let them know i have finished. And of course i carry my licence and permission slips with me.The Police seem very pleased if you take the trouble to keep them in the picture as to your legalshooting related night time activites

Regards Gary

i used to ring the police to inform them of my shooting activities,until i got a rollocking off the keeper,straight after he got one from the estate owner,the police in their wisdom decided to drop in on the estate owner at an unearthly hour,waking him up,he then got onto his keeper,then it came to me,the keeper said not to ring them anymore as it was private land and had nowt to do with the police...sometimes you cant do right for doing wrong...

DAZ

i remember years ago two druggies from the west coast were murdered in fields close to my village(shot and burned) turned out i had been shooting pigeons in that very fields 3 days bafore .when the cid came to interview me and take foot prints off my boots and landrover they to wanted to see my perm slip and shotgun licence brown trouser moment i can tell you .

then they asked to see my sons cert as he had been with me at the time i had to explain to the cid lad that 4 year old kids dont have shotgun certificates :no: :no:now i always carry my perm slip and certificate :good::good:

Hi Guys

The easy way is to just ring the police prior to shooting and enter your name on the shooting log giving your name, how many in your party ,car reg,post code of shoot,and they will give you a reference number and if the bobbys arrive to check you out they will cross ref your details on the shooting log.When i have completed shooting for the night i ring again to let them know i have finished. And of course i carry my licence and permission slips with me.The Police seem very pleased if you take the trouble to keep them in the picture as to your legalshooting related night time activites

Regards Gary

This is all well and good; however, if you cover a large area like I do in the course of a night then it's difficult. Also the reason I don't like calling the police before I set off is that if someone comes along behind you and causes criminal damage or shoots a sheep or something then you are the prime suspect as you have told the police you will be in this area.