Blood test

ollie

Got a blood test taken a couple of weeks ago and rang up today for the results. Apparently my cholesterol is high (5.9 & should be 5.2); now I am very active, I play golf and obviously shooting keeps me active, but I do like my food. I wouldn't consider myself being overweight or anything but obviously I am eating the wrong things.

I'm sure there are a few of you guys have been in the same situation. What advice would you give me in order to get my cholestrol down? The nurse told me to watch my diet, so I am going to make a concerted effort not to eat takeaways and junk food for a while to try and get myself in shape. Any advice would be great :good:

5.9 is not too drastic, you need to cut out saturated fats mostly, grill food dont fry it etc change to bertoli olive oil spread, dont eat currys cooked in ghee

However what most people dont ask is what thier good cholesterol is

If your hdl cholesterol is over 1 then you are unlikley to suffer any ill effects from it. My cholesterol is normally to top of the upper limit 5.1 but my hdl is 1.5 .Even being 19 stone and having a cholesterol of 5.1 it has been calculated that i am only at a 10% risk of having a cardiac event before Im 60. :good:

Liver, kidney, eggs, shellfish and saturated fats all have high levels so if you eat these often just reduce the number of times you have them a week. Don't cut them out altogether otherwise you'll miss them and want them more.

I wouldn't worry too much, just make small changes and over time your levels will come down,

At the risk of sounding like a know it all, the british heart foundation have changed the status of prawns and eggs. While both are loaded with cholesterol it has been proven that it is not of a type that the body can utilise, therefore it is safe to eat as many prawns or eggs as you want now.

(just done a cardiac rehabilitation course!)

Incidently, its not all take away related

If you eat a lot of processed muck like ready meals from iceland...they are loaded to the max!! :yes:

That's the thing mate I never eat processed food, I hate it. Being Irish I like my potatoes :lol: , I eat a lot of game (maybe 2 or 3 times a week), but I do like a chinese or chippy about once a week. I also like to have a beer or 2 quite regular. I think apart from St.Paddy's day I am going to go off the drink for a while.

I am only 27 but I don't want to have problems in the future. I am about 5 10" and about 12 stone (soaking wet).

That's the thing mate I never eat processed food, I hate it. Being Irish I like my potatoes :lol: , I eat a lot of game (maybe 2 or 3 times a week), but I do like a chinese or chippy about once a week. I also like to have a beer or 2 quite regular. I think apart from St.Paddy's day I am going to go off the drink for a while.

I am only 27 but I don't want to have problems in the future. I am about 5 10" and about 12 stone (soaking wet).

Gonna see all us unhealthy blokes looking at this one :lol:

You got the same count as me and i am 5' 10",15 stone and 46 yrs old,always been fit (ish),done martial arts for 20 years and am a builder so always active,think it might be something to do with the smoking/cakes/takeaway,now given up the smoking,so should help blood pressure,now got to get the diet sorted.

As for the beer,i gave up a couple of years ago and only have the occasional one now. :yp:

Would the thyroid gland have anything to do with it. I got tested about a year ago and they told me I had an overactive thyroid gland which meant it was difficult for me to put on weight, I think this is common on my Mothers side. I don't smoke so it can't have anything to do with that; as I say the nurse said it's nothing to worry about at the minute but I just don't want problems in the future.

I dont think its anything to do with your thyroid gland,my mothers side of the family all have problems with thyroids,but its my father that suffers with cholesterol problems,and you could not find a fitter and still hard working 76 year old,drinks like a fish :hmm: