mad scientist mk2 on the decoys

stubby

so, some of you may have read my last post on my electronic decoy, well after the last one working like a demented woody woodpecker on speed, it was back to the drawning board, after searching the net I found a supplier of motors including a gearbox, which would slow the rotations per minute, down from 1300 to 140 per 12volts, so Ive been waiting all week for them to arrive, they came today, smaller than I'd imagined, but perfect for the job, we'd re=thought the mounting idea, taking the motor directly under the head of the decoy, thus less moving parts, less to go wrong, and less noise, this time all Ive done is fixed an oval cog directly to the gearbox (cog made from ply) and that moves the head, and body, as its still mounted on the spring stick that comes with the decoy's, the motor is fixed to a piece of 2x1 timber, shaped to fit inside/under the plastic decoy

Ive made up two units today, another four I'll do tomorrow, as I wanted to see how they ran from a 6volt battery, great :good: and giving around 50 rpm, I plan to run all six finished deeks from one 12v battery, using a removable wiring loom I put together

here's a quick clip of how they are doing so far, you'll see Ive set one up with a modified plastic decoy, and one with a standard decoy top, what do you all think is best???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czdn6qi421A

so, am I on my way to becoming a millionaire :lol:

although these things are made in a shed at the bottom of my garden, mates have said I should put them up on that auction site, as the next nearest thing costs either £54 for four, or a different design at £26 for one

now granted, both the other designs look very proffessionally made in some chinese factory, and do look very realistic, mine though could probably be retailed at around £7.50 each, BIG DIFFERENCE, and still move the decoy,

once I have six up and running, I'll get them over the rape fields and put them to the test :good:

after watching the video with my missus, she gave the un-altered decoy the :good:

and I have to say I agree with her, the knocking noise is only coming from the one with the hinged head, and it dos'ent lift up as much as I'd first planned, so maybe, the same as Cosd's idea, a simple unit that can be used with a shell decoy

Edited by stubby

They look good to me :good:

I love all this making your own kit, and your on the right track with this...

I would say that the un-cut shell looks good enough, save all that faffing about cutting.

Maybe make the movement a bit more exagerated so they really stand out , but otherwise excellent stuff.

I've been thinking about a motorised flapper myself..... early days though..

Dave ;)

Hi Stubby, good idea now all you need is to run another motor horizontally and wings could flick out or decoy could twist .11 out of ten for the idea. :good:

Steve.

good idea, but that starts getting too intricate, my moto is KISS, keep it simple stupid :lol:

also it would add to the cost, and be another thing that could go wrong/fail in the field

keeping it this small and simple was an idea, so you could put them in amongst a few normal decoys in a clump, simular to how Ive seen pigeons feeding, and thus travel light when shooting, most times Im out everything weighs a tonne, I like the idea of a few deeks, a battery,net and poles,gun and carts, sorted :good:

they look realy good buddy put me down for 6 at £7.50 each :good: :good: :good: :good: :lol: :lol: :lol: what a bargan

if your serious, wait until Ive finished my 6 with any little tweeks, given them a test run in the field, and videoed the results with it added to another post and pm me :good:

well, a bit more tinkering in the shed today, Ive added a larger cog to the unit to get a bit more head movement, and by pushing the spring sticks fully together it stabilizes the decoy better, less swaying left to right, but still gives it the pecking motion, Ive now used the hot glue gun, to not only burn my fingers with hot glue :blush: but also to stick the cogs on permantly to the two finished units, and re-wired the first one I made so they both run in the same direction,

the first video shows unit with larger cog, and after cladding the cog in pvc tape, how much it deadens the noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdN5eCzIFSo

the 2nd video shows a 3rd unit Ive made, but using a 3volt battery pack, of course this gives less RPM, around 40-50 but still looks effective, would save carrying a battery, or for those with no battery to start with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLTRwhnInM8

the sound of an ice cream van is from the road behind us, its not coming from the pigeon :lol:

Edited by stubby

tell ya some thing if you make to sell put me down :good:

well, Ill give them a go in the rape fields first, don't want it to look good, but not pull the birds in,

if I can get some good footage of them in action, then Im quite happy to make a few more

running from your own 6v battery, and making your own wires up to whatever length you want from battery to decoy, and using your own shell decoys, the motor/arm/cog I could do for £7.50

if anyone wanted it running off a 3v battery pack, they would cost £10

but thats only if they work :lol:

This one any good , made a cpl of years back but broke it ,Used to have 5 running in a large pattern but the material used didnt like transportation and they slowly broke , worked no problem in the field though. resurected this one one as stubby's got me hooked on DIY again :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_aHVTPCF6Q

This one any good , made a cpl of years back but broke it ,Used to have 5 running in a large pattern but the material used didnt like transportation and they slowly broke , worked no problem in the field though. resurected this one one as stubby's got me hooked on DIY again :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_aHVTPCF6Q

love it deny, makes my ones sound very quite :lol:

probably modelled along the same lines as my ones, Ive just added some sound deading felt to the inside of my battery pack one, and it makes it almost silent :good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_VAn-LHMDA

Thanks stubby, runs on a servo coupled to the bird mount, running on 4.5 volt AA batteries, goes faster on 6 but I settled for 4.5 when i was useing them.

Didnt put the sound on :)didnt want the wifes yaking comming through <_< but is very quiet.

Edited by deny essex

Thanks stubby, runs on a servo coupled to the bird mount, running on 4.5 volt AA batteries, goes faster on 6 but I settled for 4.5 when i was useing them.

Didnt put the sound on :)didnt want the wifes yaking comming through <_< but is very quiet.

no sound :hmm: when I watched it, sounded like a rusty bike :lol: my ones can be run either 3v to 12v, rpm raising from 30 to 140, depending on voltage, I prefer the 6v to ext battery pack, :good:

had a few enquires from both PW members and hunting life, have made a slight adjustment to the set up, units will now come complete with the 3volt battery pack, plus a set of extra wires soldered on, so an external 6volt battery can be used if reqd