.22 or .177 in FAC for rabbits etc

TaxiDriver

There seem to be a few claims that a FAC air rifle can take rabbits at 100 yards easily, I'm sure rabbits can and have been taken at 100+ yards, but easily - I don't think so.

Even with .22 running at 36 ft/lbs and using Bis Mags the point of imact will vary massively at extened ranges ie: if you zeroed at 70 yards the POI at 100 yards will be 9.5" below, fair enough, it can be done, but the POI at 105 yards is almost 12" below (I've been checking on Chairgun). Considering how difficult it is even to judge much smaller distances to within 5 yards and the fact that the travel time will be extened allowing turbulent air to have it's effect I just don't think it's easy, or for that matter, ethical.

In short, to be confident of getting a clean, one-shot kill at 100 yards, assuming the kill zone is around 1", you would have to judge the exact distance to within 1 yard and be confident of windspeed and direction throughtout the entire distance.

Not calling anyone a liar, I just think FAC air should be used for it's stopping power and the small extension of range.

'Clunk'...That's the sound of me dismounting my high horse.

Well said mate

I am not going to get into a slanging match with other peoples opinions with regards to FAC air capeable or not of hitting targets consistantly at 100yds. i gave "my" experience which for your info was shooting approx 8000yes that does say eight thousand, (a regular order from AirArms) pellets each year at ranges from 20 - 100yds plus on all legal air gun quarry. I spent time shooting, not reading books, and before the invention of the home computer systems were most folk these days find there experience.

Clunk !!!

I am not going to get into a slanging match with other peoples opinions with regards to FAC air capeable or not of hitting targets consistantly at 100yds. i gave "my" experience which for your info was shooting approx 8000yes that does say eight thousand, (a regular order from AirArms) pellets each year at ranges from 20 - 100yds plus on all legal air gun quarry. I spent time shooting, not reading books, and before the invention of the home computer systems were most folk these days find there experience.

Clunk !!!

I wasn't singling anyone out and I don't want to start a slagging match either, but the fact remains that when shooting at 100 yards the pellet drop, even with lighter AA fields, will be around 3/4" for every 2 extra yards. You could shoot 8 million pellets a year but I still don't believe anyone is that good at rangefinding.

As I said before I certainly don't doubt that it can be done, but I do doubt whether it can be done consistantly in the field.

@FalconFN

I understand your concern regarding long range rabbiting with FAC rifles, but I dismiss your claim of morality. My experiance with ballistics and trajectory allows me to make calculated shots and drop targets confidently at 130+ yards with a .22 @ 34ft/lbs, otherwise I wouldent take the shot.

Nevertheless the desired effect is always obtained, despite whether or not a second shot need be made. I'm confident that the majority of the gents on the forum will unenthusiasticly pass comment on how many times a second shot has been necessary as a result of consequence due to a substandard first shot. However this dosent define us negligent.

I do utililise technology for optimum effect. Digital anemometers and laser range-finders are prime importance of my long range ability to hit targets.

Daz

Edited by The jackal 11

@FalconFN

I understand your concern regarding long range rabbiting with FAC rifles, but I dismiss your claim of morality. My experiance with ballistics and trajectory allows me to make calculated shots and drop targets confidently at 130+ yards with a .22 @ 34ft/lbs, otherwise I wouldent take the shot.

Nevertheless the desired effect is always obtained, despite whether or not a second shot need be made. I'm confident that the majority of the gents on the forum will unenthusiasticly pass comment on how many times a second shot has been necessary as a result of consequence due to a substandard first shot. However this dosent define us negligent.

I do utililise technology for optimum effect. Digital anemometers and laser range-finders are prime importance of my long range ability to hit targets.

Daz

I totally agree with that.

If you can do it then why not, but I wasn't making a moral judgment, just raising the point that it might be unethical to attempt such difficult shots when there are so many variables at play - not least the difficulties in rangefinding. We each know our own shooting abilities and our guns capabilities but mine are way short of 130 yards!

All the best.

I was looking at this site together with a friend last night, and he asked me a number of questions, so I will put my answers on the site. When I shoot with my Logun S16, 40 yards is my max range. I have no experience of a 80 FT LLBS air rifle, so can't comment on the accuracy, suffice to say, to be accurate conditions need to be spot on, ie no wind, dry day etc. Otherwise the pellet will be blown off course. When I shoot I have the gun, ammo, and half a binocular which is tied to my jacket for spotting. I know the areas I shoot like the back of my hand, so rangefinding gadgets, etc are a waste of time for me. I look through my 4x40 Kasnar scope, which is never played with, and from the view of the rabbits head, I say to myself aim dead on behind the eye, or up a bit. Using my rimfire and 39grain RWS, 100 yards is a doddle from a standing position. The farthest shot has been 139 paced out by the Farmer I shoot for, again a head shot. Using my friends .17 close on 200 yards is no problem. I am not going to argue with anyone who uses an FAC Air rifle, but my view is 100 yards is extreme, I wouldn't be happy taking shots at that range "to many variables eg wind, holdover etc" And don't forget, may be 80 ft llb at the muzzle, 100yards is a long way away. I set a test for some friends of mine who are spot on at 50 yards target shooting a little while ago. I set some rabbit targets up unknown to them. I then had them walk up hill, told them they each had ten seconds to shoot the rabbit, both missed at 50 yards!!!! Its easy laying down on a nice day to be accurate, you also need breath control. So ask yourself the question lads, be honest, are you as good as you claim.

I was looking at this site together with a friend last night, and he asked me a number of questions, so I will put my answers on the site. When I shoot with my Logun S16, 40 yards is my max range. I have no experience of a 80 FT LLBS air rifle, so can't comment on the accuracy, suffice to say, to be accurate conditions need to be spot on, ie no wind, dry day etc. Otherwise the pellet will be blown off course. When I shoot I have the gun, ammo, and half a binocular which is tied to my jacket for spotting. I know the areas I shoot like the back of my hand, so rangefinding gadgets, etc are a waste of time for me. I look through my 4x40 Kasnar scope, which is never played with, and from the view of the rabbits head, I say to myself aim dead on behind the eye, or up a bit. Using my rimfire and 39grain RWS, 100 yards is a doddle from a standing position. The farthest shot has been 139 paced out by the Farmer I shoot for, again a head shot. Using my friends .17 close on 200 yards is no problem. I am not going to argue with anyone who uses an FAC Air rifle, but my view is 100 yards is extreme, I wouldn't be happy taking shots at that range "to many variables eg wind, holdover etc" And don't forget, may be 80 ft llb at the muzzle, 100yards is a long way away. I set a test for some friends of mine who are spot on at 50 yards target shooting a little while ago. I set some rabbit targets up unknown to them. I then had them walk up hill, told them they each had ten seconds to shoot the rabbit, both missed at 50 yards!!!! Its easy laying down on a nice day to be accurate, you also need breath control. So ask yourself the question lads, be honest, are you as good as you claim.

are you? but yes there are one or two FAC air fantasists about i feel also and i have actually used and owned them. I also use the rimfires though (a lot)and to call a 100yds off hand shot with the .22 a doddle as those variables you talk of still very much exist with 4" windage @10mph and a similar amount of drop depending on set zero chosen and look at the real balistics involved with a 200yds .17 shot :lol:

@FalconFN

Daz

Targets or quarry? You are wasted here, why aren't you in the Olympic team, 130+ yards with a 34ft lb air rifle...lots of flags to help with wind drift no doubt as well, or do you put Anemometers all the way to the target?!

Edited by Dekers

Targets or quarry? You are wasted here, why aren't you in the Olympic team, 130+ yards with a 34ft lb air rifle...lots of flags to help with wind drift no doubt as well, or do you put Anemometers all the way to the target?!

Thats nothing Daz i can hit an apple at 150 yds with my .177 SMK b-2!!!!!!!!!!

regds brian

are you? but yes there are one or two FAC air fantasists about i feel also and i have actually used and owned them. I also use the rimfires though (a lot)and to call a 100yds off hand shot with the .22 a doddle as those variables you talk of still very much exist with 4" windage @10mph and a similar amount of drop depending on set zero chosen and look at the real balistics involved with a 200yds .17 shot :lol:

I notice you asked," am I as good as I say". First of all never said I was good, but this morning I was called to a golf course who use my services, Went round in the vehicle with the green keeper to a fairway where a problem had arisen. AS we approached I stopped the vehicle, theres a rabbit down there says I, only the ears could be seen, the guy couldn't see it. I poked old browning out, loaded and zip, up in the air goes bugs, Jesus says Phil, I couldn't even bloody see it. Do us a favour I asked pace it out for me, 94 steps, a little breezy this morning, but knowing the area like I do I have to say a doddle. So my answer to you is this, using the words of Rocky Marciano, if I tell you i'm good, you will say i'm a big head, if I tell you i'm not good, I know i'm telling you a ly. Hows that my friend. Oh and you didn't tell me your thoughts on a .17 Cheers

I keep seeing people stating they have more than one fac or rifle, but my FEO would only let me have one. What did I do wrong?

As I understood it, you have to apply for each individual one (a slot) so, if you only applied for one thats what you got.

On my recent application I've applied for 2 and 2 sound moderators, hopefully this would allow me to have for example a scoped .22lr and a night vision equipped .22lr or a vermin rifle and a target rifle or a bolt action and a semi etc etc.

I notice you asked," am I as good as I say". First of all never said I was good, but this morning I was called to a golf course who use my services, Went round in the vehicle with the green keeper to a fairway where a problem had arisen. AS we approached I stopped the vehicle, theres a rabbit down there says I, only the ears could be seen, the guy couldn't see it. I poked old browning out, loaded and zip, up in the air goes bugs, Jesus says Phil, I couldn't even bloody see it. Do us a favour I asked pace it out for me, 94 steps, a little breezy this morning, but knowing the area like I do I have to say a doddle. So my answer to you is this, using the words of Rocky Marciano, if I tell you i'm good, you will say i'm a big head, if I tell you i'm not good, I know i'm telling you a ly. Hows that my friend. Oh and you didn't tell me your thoughts on a .17 Cheers

i feel telling you my thoughts would be a waste, my friend