where to place magnet

scraggoak

Hi all

i would like your advice on where to place the pigeon magnet in the decoy pattern, Saturday for the first time i used a pigeon magnet with two airpros and alough a few pigeons landed amongst the decoys others veered of at the sight of the magnet. this is all new to me so your advise and tips would be very helpful. cheers geoff

I feel it depends on how confident you are with your shooting.

Loads of different way to set up a rotary and decoys as you will be so advised.

Location, wind, the sun play big factors in your set up, with the biggest factor left to last which is the birds their self’s

If the wind is quartering from my left and coming from behind me, I will have the rotary out to the left around 20/25 yards and set out around 30+ decoys in 2 large patterns’ around 30/40 yards. The shape is a rough ark and I leave a 30/40 yard gap between the 2 pattern’s to create a gap as I want the birds head and land short of the rotary. This distance is in my opinion allows the shot pattern to work well with ½ and ¾ choke on a 30 inch gun. Birds will cruise by, flare off and land in the field out of range, that is just the way it is…..If it was easy people would be posting 100+ bags every day…….

There are dozen’s of different ways to set up rotary’s and decoy pattern’s you just have to keep trying and fail to find what works for you. However if you are not on a flight line and the birds are not feeding in that field, well take a good book and a sack of birds you shot before to show the wife when you get back…….. :lol:

TEH

Hi mate

I've only just started using a magnet too, through trial and error I've found it needs to be at least 25 yards away from the front of your pattern either left or right, maybe further away some days, seems to scare them if it's too close, that's what I've found anyway, at the end of the day it's only there to attract there attention then they see the deeks, so it don't matter if it's 30 yards from your pattern as long as it grabs there attention, give it a go mate and see what happens. On another note I've tried airpro's too, on a very windy day that scared birds off too, very rapid wing beats usually means distress to them as if they've been scared so they jink away when there see the airpro wings flashing White wind bars very rapidly cos it means danger. Hope this is helpful to you mate, these are just things I've found through my own experiences, some may disagree with me but it's just what I've found. Good luck and let me know how you get on mate! :-)

Hi all

i would like your advice on where to place the pigeon magnet in the decoy pattern, Saturday for the first time i used a pigeon magnet with two airpros and alough a few pigeons landed amongst the decoys others veered of at the sight of the magnet. this is all new to me so your advise and tips would be very helpful. cheers geoff

That will be the reason for the birds veering off :good:

Get a pair of dead birds in it !

Hi mate

I've only just started using a magnet too, through trial and error I've found it needs to be at least 25 yards away from the front of your pattern either left or right, maybe further away some days, seems to scare them if it's too close, that's what I've found anyway, at the end of the day it's only there to attract there attention then they see the deeks, so it don't matter if it's 30 yards from your pattern as long as it grabs there attention, give it a go mate and see what happens. On another note I've tried airpro's too, on a very windy day that scared birds off too, very rapid wing beats usually means distress to them as if they've been scared so they jink away when there see the airpro wings flashing White wind bars very rapidly cos it means danger. Hope this is helpful to you mate, these are just things I've found through my own experiences, some may disagree with me but it's just what I've found. Good luck and let me know how you get on mate! :-)

I've shot several big bags by having my magnets close to the main decoy pattern - sometimes with the magnet surrounded by decoys. I normally have the magnet no further than 25 yards away from the hide as pigeons will very often flutter above it, making a simple shot.

I still can't fathom why some people insist that pigeons see fast flapping wings as a sign of danger.When pigeons land they flap their wings fast, that's hardly anything for another pigeon to be scared of.

I'll throw my two penneth in here; I use the magnet and full length floaters for one reason and that is to attract attention. I don't want or expect pigeons to come into the rotary although for some strange reason some days they do. On those days I move it closer to the head of the pattern. Most days I'll put the rotary well away from the pattern of deeks in a prominent position that can be seen from flight lines. Same with floaters. I put them downwind on the flightline to the pattern. That is the full length bouncer type of floater, not the shorter one that represents a bird about to land. They go at the rear of the deeks.

The idea of the rotary and floaters is to attract attention, and then once the pigeons are attracted the pattern of deeks should give them reassurance and bring them close enough to shoot.

I always have my magnet in front of any decoy pattern i use ,like said get rid of your air pros there pants dead birds are best . :good: Dont forget not every bird will drop in to your decoys .

I had a client out the other day and for a start he would only shoot the birds if they were about to land even tho he had alot of birds coming to 25 odd yards but not dropping in ,the first hour he shot 8 birds after i told him to have a go at the other birds in the next hour he shot 30 . the magnet is there to draw them in if its doing this then leave it where it is if its not move it till it is :good::yes:

Edited by proTOM1

..I still can't fathom why some people insist that pigeons see fast flapping wings as a sign of danger.When pigeons land they flap their wings fast, that's hardly anything for another pigeon to be scared of.

Too true, however a magnet is set many feet above the ground and many feet above where a woodpigeon will start to flap its wings when landing. Woodpigeon turning into a decoy pattern will have their wings open and looking for a space to land, just like a magnet.

A woodpigeon flapping its wings at magnet height is a panicing bird trying to get away.

IMHO