spring drilling at last!

Evning

Had my 1st outing on a newly sown field today (wheat)

Went past yesterday & saw them drilling,went back today & it was covered in birds,about 500-600,

boy them birds are quick at finding summit different

Never shot on there before so away i went to find out who's field it was,found out but still needed to find the keeper to ask him,

found him, luckily i knew him, sorted "shoot as many as you want wen ever you want"

Set up an started shooting at 2pm,the pigeon were decoying the best i've seen for ages,right in the landing strip of the horseshoe, used my magnet for a change & its about the 1st time ive had any success with it.

They stopped coming about 3.30 but that was more to do with the tractor rolling the field i was set up on !

Decent farmer though started at my end of the field & i shought **** i'll have to pick up everything to let him roll it but nope he just missed my bit out ! " get it later " he said

So i finished up at 4 & had shot 35 birds which had all commited to the pattern

Any drilling going on with you ??

MMM FISH

As most people will probably tell you across the country every farmer with something to drill where the ground has dried out enough will be finally smilling sat on his tractor doing something :lol: Down this end of the country everything has suddenly come alive in the fields with cultivators drills and fert spreaders. Find the rooks are partial to bit of freshly turned ground :yes:

Peas going in today on 2 fields, 4 more to go then 2 of wheat. we have about 500 pigs on the rape at the moment that will not decoy so with luck the wheat will do the job as its the field next to it.

over tomorrow again to keep tabs. last year was fantastic so here's to another good year on the pea's

Phil.

Yup! Were on ploughing and drilling, spring wheat. Our lass is out ploughing now followed by her brother with the drill..

There's something kinda cool about a brunette who wears heels on a weekend but can drive a jcb fastrack and plough! :-)

Yup! Were on ploughing and drilling, spring wheat. Our lass is out ploughing now followed by her brother with the drill..

There's something kinda cool about a brunette who wears heels on a weekend but can drive a jcb fastrack and plough! :-)

THAT`S FUNNY, MY MATE DRIVES A TRACTOR AND WEARS SIZE 11 HIGH HEELS ON A WEEKEND!!! :lol:

Yes everyone drilling round me today like mad ,had a client on maize but was watching a field of drill which was pulling plenty hope there still on for thursday my client still shot 57 but should of bagged a good few more .

Anyone notice there decoying better and breaking up ?

Had them coming in small groups today instead of 100s things looking up :yes:

Tried roost shooting yesterday. Only stragglers coming to a really good roosting wood and shot 4 between 1:30 and 3pm. All this time a huge flock could be seen two fields away hopping from rape field to rape field, this flock several hundred strong all seemed to head into roost at once and another 4 birds fell in ten minutes. It was all over by 4pm with hardly a bird to be seen anywhere.

Blackpowder

plenty of dilling going on over the weekend

the suns been shining nicely and evrythings dryed up

saw a few hundred on pea drilling on way home yesterday

all the flocks are starting to split up

shame i am out of action for a few days :oops:

Tried roost shooting yesterday. Only stragglers coming to a really good roosting wood and shot 4 between 1:30 and 3pm. All this time a huge flock could be seen two fields away hopping from rape field to rape field, this flock several hundred strong all seemed to head into roost at once and another 4 birds fell in ten minutes. It was all over by 4pm with hardly a bird to be seen anywhere.

Blackpowder

Isn't that a bit early for roost shooting or does it get dark early up Scotland way :hmm:

I usually start a couple of hours before sunset.

Blackpowder

Very early thats is for roosting I am just off roosting last light 1800hrs down south whats your last light .

The birds are more likely out feeding at 4PM thats why its so quiet .

ATB Campion

Isn't that a bit early for roost shooting or does it get dark early up Scotland way :hmm:

I usually start a couple of hours before sunset.

Went early as the wood is usually used by pigeon throughout the day and had been looking for a good strong west wind for some time to shoot it.Saturday past with no wind saw a slow trickle of birds coming all afternoon. Not yesterday though, the pigeon seemed to have formed into the one large flock except for a few stragglers. We have noticed at our club charity shoots this year that the main flight is over while plenty day light remains. Most of our members can remember when we would stay in the woods until the last permissable minute to get the best shooting. This is no longer so. Perhaps I should have used the term flight shooting rather than roost shooting. Incidently as the wood is much to dense to shoot within, last Saturday I placed 5 shell decoys about 30 yards out from the wood, while no birds came to land at them I feel pigeon were at least drawn to that side of the wood. Better still while not actually coming to decoys a number of birds came and sat on the trees above my modest layout as if watching what was happening. Several paid the supreme penalty for their curiosity.

Blackpowder

Very early thats is for roosting I am just off roosting last light 1800hrs down south whats your last light .

The birds are more likely out feeding at 4PM thats why its so quiet .

ATB Campion

Yes I note what you say campion but I had watcvhed these birds all afternoon flitting from rape field to rape field then en -mass they all headed my way- to roost? That was the end of it no more pigeon to be seen on the fields and none coming in. I saw the same while watching that wood 3 weeks ago, the huge flock rose in the distance and behaved like a flock of starlings in an everchanging shape against the sky. There are quite a number of predator kills in the fields around so perhaps this is making them twitchy. Two of us went to the same wood tonight, arriving about 3:30 and stayed until 5:30 for one pigeon and perhaps a dozen seen.

Blackpowder