How will this work and where do I stand?

gixer1

Driving to work this morning i was approaching a tractor with a trailer, I pulled out just about to overtake and watched a stone (about 4" around) come off the draw bar area of the trailer, bounce along the road, hit the back trailer tyre and it came up and hit the front bumper of my car,

I immediately stopped to see the damage and it has smashed a section of the front bumper (thankfully it's a discovery as if it had been a car it may of got high enough to come through the window!) I got back in the car caught up with the tractor and followed him to a local village shop and let him know what happened, he said "i did see you stop all of a sudden" and "i can't see where it came from" and gave me his number and name, he said "come in past the farm tonight and we'll sort it out"

on looking at the trailer when it was stopped, the foot pad that the trailer sits on when un-hitched had some mud and stonen on it and i'm guessing the offending stone maybe came from here.

he seemed like a nice enough guy but i've been in the position before and been bitten for trusting someone's word so I just want to make sure I don't leave myself open to having to pay for the damage to be repaired!

Regards,

Gixer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

exactly, fundamentally its your word against his asking for £1k or whatever a new bumper and painting costs may well be met with a bit of denial

hate to say it, but thats what i'd do if someone who told me a stone fell off me tractor and broke his bumper!

let the insurance company fight it out..... for all the farmer knows your bumper may already have been cracked.

See what the farmer offers up!

No way a smart repair is going to fix that, the trim behind the bumper facia is all cracked and broken and the bumper is all out of shape, that would need a new inner bumper trim and a facia trim (i think both parts come with a bumper for £350 then it needs painting)

if it comes to it I'm more than happy to let the insurance fight it out, thats why we pay the useless ******* after all!

The farmer was quite open to the fact I stopped all of a sudden, it's also about 3 miles from my house on a road I drive every day so there no reason to lie and I have the pics to show it's not old damage (you can still see the dirt on the place where it hit!)

The only thing i probably should have done was take a picture of the trailer's pad as it was covered in mud and stones.

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

christ, gone are the days when people treated bumpers as "BUMPERS" the whole point being they stop damage to the car, me I'd ask for permission and live with it, after all its a 4x4, and not some tarts hankerchief :lol:

Long gone are the days of a Landy wearing a yet another scrape or dent as a badge of honor!

christ, gone are the days when people treated bumpers as "BUMPERS" the whole point being they stop damage to the car, me I'd ask for permission and live with it, after all its a 4x4, and not some tarts hankerchief :lol:

that could be said to be a matter of opinion :lol:

hate to say it, but thats what i'd do if someone who told me a stone fell off me tractor and broke his bumper!

let the insurance company fight it out..... for all the farmer knows your bumper may already have been cracked.

See what the farmer offers up!

The farmer will do exactly as I would and ask you to prove that the stone came from his tractor. That split can easily be repaired by someone who knows what they are doing. I had a far worse one repaired in a bumper of a Fiesta that my other half hit a deer.

If you get your insurance company involved then yes it will be sorted but at who's cost?

The farmer will do exactly as I would and ask you to prove that the stone came from his tractor. That split can easily be repaired by someone who knows what they are doing. I had a far worse one repaired in a bumper of a Fiesta that my other half hit a deer.

If you get your insurance company involved then yes it will be sorted but at who's cost?

MC, it will not repair by someone who knows what they are doing without parts as the 2 plastic braces on the inner bumper facia that run across the radiator opening below are shattered and missing, there are a few bits of plastic down around the rad but they won't go back together...

at the end of the day i'm fairly sure from the guys attitude he won't be awkward as he is aware I didn't just try it on....the impact was fresh and still covered in mud.

Tractor's carry stones out of fields from time to time, it's one of those things, it's when ***** try to be silly about things that problems arise, in which case it gets handed to insurers.

I'm sure farmers must be well covered for such events.

Regards,

Gixer

if the farmer says no then it will go as an own fault claim as it would be too hard to prove the stone came off the tractor and wasn't lying on the road. Its only a D3 I don't know what all the fuss is about :unsure:

If it was an L200 i could just let it go Alex....but as it's a Landy... :lol:

Rules of the road from a farmer point of view are that they are responsable for anything deposited on the highway from tractors/trailers, but not from Livestock, ie cattle or sheep deposits when being moved for milking or to a different field.Lots of fields have a hardcore section just inside the field exit. Living in the dales and riding a motorcycle , i have split loyalties. A The farmer should take reasonable care but when your buzzing about from one field to another all day it must be a nightmare to try and comply and B The **** and bouncing rocks are lethel on a bike espessially when it rains, its like a damn ice rink.I don't know what the answer is!!! from Auntie. :unsure:

:blink: :hmm: ......... :hmm: ...........nope.....still don't get it! :blink:

I think it's a poorly disguised dig at the fact you have done well enough for yourself to be able to afford a D3 and he probably drives around in a heap of !!!!.

:good:

Edited by J@mes

I think it's a poorly disguised dig at the fact you have done well enough for yourself to be able to afford a D3 and he probably drives around in a heap of !!!!.

:good:

That's what i thought James..... :rolleyes:

Just because I can buy a car doesn't mean I can just let damage to it be forgotten as some would think, it amazes me some have the opinion that because you buy something nice you should automatically let people take the ****, I would bet that farmers bank balance is a hell of a lot more than mine! John Deere is more expensive than landrover 90% of the time!!

Regards,

Gixer

Tell your insurance company asap (you should let them know whenever you have an accident) - they will contact his insurance and work out blame %. if he flatly denies it you'll all end up in court. Make sure you tel your insurance about his comments ie 'I saw yo ustop suddenly' as this obviously suggests something was up... and also the condition of his equipment.

Good luck with it - I had a similar thing happen to me in NZ but I was driving a 1992 Trooper so didnt even bother stopping... Looked at it as adding character to the motor... Totaly undestand your position re this though with the price of your motor.

There are 3 ways of attack

1st take it on the chin and pay for the repair yourself.

2nd contact the your insurance and pass on the details from your tractor driver.

3rd contact the farmer direct and see if he will pay for the repair.

Its always a good idear to take a picture of the tractor and the general condition of the trailer etc despite being exempt from many laws they still have make sure that the load is safe along with it being roadworthy.

The though of that stone hitting you or going though the windscreen sends shiver down my spine.

ATB Campion