What will a Defender do to the Gallon.

dazbrit

I had my first (and last, I hope) ever lift in a Landy last week. A truly horrid experience.

Noisy, uncomfortable and ugly. Quite nice apart from that.

Worse thing was, due to the dry weather lately, my S type could easily have handled the rough track we went down.

On balance, I can think of cheaper, quieter and nice 4wd's to get.

Or I'll just make sure I can park somewhere sensible and walk to my permissions!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my first (and last, I hope) ever lift in a Landy last week. A truly horrid experience.

...And exactly what did you add to this topic? :rolleyes:

Not the best topic to have a go about how horrible Defenders are, as almost everyone in this topic will own, love and cherish one ;)

Please, tell us what your usual mode of transport is ;) S type. Speaks volumes. ..Then again, Jaguar Land Rover. But still, it looks a mess.

Edited by Billy.

Duncan, please be quiet!

Your not doing my chances of getting a Def any good! :angry:

Next time you're in Harpenden or St Albans, give me a bell. You can take mine for a spin and see how wrong Duncan is. It's a lot different if you're driving :yes:

Edited by Billy.

Next time you're in Harpenden or St Albans, give me a bell. You can take mine for a spin and see how wrong Duncan is. It's a lot different if you're driving :yes:

Oh! I never realised the excrutiating transmission whine and vibration was excluded from the driver's position. The ones I've driven must not have been fitted with that option.

Right, I've had this great idea...

I would have Autocad this, but seeing as my cracked copy seemed to decrack itself and request an extortionate amount of money, I was forced to draw this in Keynote :blush:

Anyway... Here's my plan.

I want to weld a frame that slots into the front two lifting points on a defender. Drop some locking pins through them so it doesn't slide back out. The frame will have a platform with a seat on it...

It would hopefully be ideal for lamping. Specifically, shotgunning rabbits.

My Landy doesn't have a hatch, so I'm stuck shooting out the window.

Any thoughts on the (bad) drawing below? :blush:

2vuin7o.png

Edited by Billy.

I wouldn't like to be riding on that. Especially, when you miss that tree stump because your lights are off and the red light is otherwise engaged. Can't you fit something to the rear or just stick with the window. Better to have a frame that fits into the window and that gives you that extra bit of support than riding on the front I would have thought?

UK Poacher is bitter because he's just realised that to replace any bit of plastic on his 98% plastic rice burning geriatric butt-ugly mobility wagon is either going to be near impossible or horrendously expensive for the foreseeable. Ne'er mind.

Mind you, it'll save on battery life and headlamp wear as any new part is likely to have an eerie glow all of its own.

Oh and that was 85mph.

Michael, you overlook the obvious. Being Japanese it is unlikely to require the type of parts you Landy owners seem to regard as your weekly shopping.

I don't have to replace the gearbox, engine or other parts from another model to make it slightly less bad. I don't have to remove or adapt bits the manufacturer has put on seemingly just to give owners something else to tinker with to keep their spanners active between breakdowns. And I don't have to get the power wash out every month to get oil off the drive.

Its Japanese! It works very well straight out of the box.

Post back in 14 years, lets see how the clutch, gearbox, plastic, bodywork stands up to the greatest test, time. My 90 is still on all the original major items, I wonder if the tena-wagon will be as good? I somehow doubt it.

I'm not sure why you keep posting in the Defender topics, obviously you have no love or personal experience to add. Is it because you feel lonely as part of the beige pant wearing denture brigade? Or do you need to justify your tasteless purchase to yourself?

Anyhow, back on topic; I think riding on the front like that is dangerous, there must be a way to either support the rifle out of the window or shoot out of the side? Am I right in assuming your 90 isn't a CSW Billy? If its got panel sides why not buy a secondhand pair of sides, and fit hatches either side? You can always refit the originals when you come to sell it. Or a secondhand roof and fit a hatch to that? It's probably the same amount to do that as it would be to construct and fit the frame you propose.

Anyhow, back on topic; I think riding on the front like that is dangerous, there must be a way to either support the rifle out of the window or shoot out of the side? Am I right in assuming your 90 isn't a CSW Billy? If its got panel sides why not buy a secondhand pair of sides, and fit hatches either side? You can always refit the originals when you come to sell it. Or a secondhand roof and fit a hatch to that? It's probably the same amount to do that as it would be to construct and fit the frame you propose.

I've not got a CSW. I bought a new roof the other week and swapped it the same day to get painted, as I'm not a big fan of white roofs. (Try doing that with a Jap car ;) )

I was bidding on some sides, but missed out on them.

The detachable roof I really like is the one off the Frontera. If I could somehow fit one of those sections to the roof, I'd be happy. However the hatches I've seen for the Landys have all looked pretty disgusting and more like a turret than a detachable sunroof.

Post back in 14 years, lets see how the clutch, gearbox, plastic, bodywork stands up to the greatest test, time. My 90 is still on all the original major items, I wonder if the tena-wagon will be as good? I somehow doubt it.

My dear Michael, no need to wait that long; It's a 1999 'V' with 125k on the clock, everything works fine and still annoyingly original and rust free. With age comes experience. I suspect that many Subaru drivers are former Land Rover owners who grew tired of spending their free time mending the latest problem or replacing something with another in order to overcome the manufacturer's shortcomings. They realised that they could actually spend their leisure time shooting and fishing, not mechanicing. They have eased the tired rhuematic old bones that have laid so long under their Landys into the warm, plush, comfortable seats and realised that there is a sky above that chassis.

Imagine for a moment if you can being able to plan a 3,000 mile journey around Europe without even the slightest doubt that the car would be trouble free. Budgeting for fuel only, rather than an engine oil allowance. Being able to hold a normal conversation with your passenger at cruising speeds "I SAID; BEING ABLE TO HOLD A NORMAL CONVERSATION WITH YOUR PASSENGER AT NORMAL CRUISING SPEEDS" And normal cruising speeds being above that which causes emabarassment on busy trunk roads. Can you contemplate having rear seat passengers who don't need a chiropracter to greet them at the other end of the journey? Or the concept of being able to carry passengers AND luggage? When you can, you'll find yourself inadvertantly stopping outside Greenwoods, and noticing Japanese 4X4s outside the post office and doctors surgeries. It will come.

My dear Michael, no need to wait that long; It's a 1999 'V' with 125k on the clock, everything works fine and still annoyingly original and rust free. With age comes experience. I suspect that many Subaru drivers are former Land Rover owners who grew tired of spending their free time mending the latest problem or replacing something with another in order to overcome the manufacturer's shortcomings. They realised that they could actually spend their leisure time shooting and fishing, not mechanicing. They have eased the tired rhuematic old bones that have laid so long under their Landys into the warm, plush, comfortable seats and realised that there is a sky above that chassis.

Imagine for a moment if you can being able to plan a 3,000 mile journey around Europe without even the slightest doubt that the car would be trouble free. Budgeting for fuel only, rather than an engine oil allowance. Being able to hold a normal conversation with your passenger at cruising speeds "I SAID; BEING ABLE TO HOLD A NORMAL CONVERSATION WITH YOUR PASSENGER AT NORMAL CRUISING SPEEDS" And normal cruising speeds being above that which causes emabarassment on busy trunk roads. Can you contemplate having rear seat passengers who don't need a chiropracter to greet them at the other end of the journey? Or the concept of being able to carry passengers AND luggage? When you can, you'll find yourself inadvertantly stopping outside Greenwoods, and noticing Japanese 4X4s outside the post office and doctors surgeries. It will come.

best 4x4 by far for over 50 years what more do i need to say maybe one day you to will be able to aford a proper off roader and not a wana be offroader Edited by cocker3

I just can't be bothered to get involved in arguing this. UKP, you're obviously chuffed to bits with your Subaru, think it's the mutt's nuts and pleasure yourself in the exhaust pipe on Sunday mornings.

It seems you have the same attitude towards the rest of your possessions, as per your signature...

Do you describe your wife to your friends as "My wife, Sarah; Great in the kitchen, always irons my shirts and on occasion lets me pot the brown after sinking the pink"

has the rear suspension needed replacement yet UKP :oops:

They are fine as a car to play off road but economy isn't good enough for a road car when you can have a decent sized shooting vehicle that will go over rutted ground and get the same MPG

So, Billy, the roof you removed. Could you see if there a way to fit a Frontera type hatch into it? I can;t help but think that this would be your best option in the long run. At least this way you can stay in the relative safety of the vehicle, the elevation gives an advantage, you can always store and replace the spare roof should you choose to sell the vehicle later on (for probably the same as you payed for it, or perhaps more; try doing that with a granny wagon UKP).