What will a Defender do to the Gallon.

dazbrit

As the title says, was wondering what the defender 90 will do to the gallon(approx.) I know there are different models so what would each one do. Normal aspirated diesel, turbo diesel,200 and 300 Tdi and Td5. I'm thinking of getting one for shooting, taking the dogs out and collecting logs, that sort of thing so only really looking for an older model. Any help on this matter will be appreciated.

Edited by dazbrit

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since fitting the new fuel pump, removing the EGR and CAT I'm getting around 30ish. Less if doing lots of little urban runs here and there. Caning it on a dual carriage way isn't a great idea; 60-65mph is about as fast as I like to go in it anyway. Rather disappointingly mine doesn't tend to spew oil out on the driveway either (sorry UKPOACHER), the odd drip, but no worse than the neighbours tin box on wheels (focus) from what I can see. And yes, it has got oil in it before you ask.

Can someone please answer this for me...

My Defender is listed as a 'Light Utility Vehicle'. Does this mean I can only do 60mph on a dual carriageway?

Downhill with the wind behind you maybe.

My previous neighbours had a Landy. It was the first thing he brought when he moved in and the last thing he took when he moved out six years later. In that six years it might have been out on the road five times. It left an oils slick on his drive that you can still see from space on Google Earth! I went out with him once to fetch some rubble and above 30mph you couldn't hear the engine............ for the transmission whine. 46mph flat out was all he could get out of it.

Downhill with the wind behind you maybe.

My previous neighbours had a Landy. It was the first thing he brought when he moved in and the last thing he took when he moved out six years later. In that six years it might have been out on the road five times. It left an oils slick on his drive that you can still see from space on Google Earth! I went out with him once to fetch some rubble and above 30mph you couldn't hear the engine............ for the transmission whine. 46mph flat out was all he could get out of it.

Newer ones do exist, that one clearly had a bit of character that it had picked up through its travels, pretty standard stuff really.

Newer ones do exist, that one clearly had a bit of character that it had picked up through its travels, pretty standard stuff really.

Yes, but the strange thing is, you lot seem to think that a recycled old one is better then the newer offerings 033102stupid_1_prv.gif

Can someone please answer this for me...

My Defender is listed as a 'Light Utility Vehicle'. Does this mean I can only do 60mph on a dual carriageway?

yes if its not listed otherwise, only A roads I know that are listed as 70 are on the A1 towards Scotland.

did you take a picture of the speedo at 70 just so you could remember the moment Billy :lol:

I was actually overtaken by a Defender on the Motorway once....................

I was gobsmacked, despite the fact I was broken down on the hard shoulder waiting for recovery at the time!! :yes::good::D

30mpg is pretty normal for a well driven Tdi. For gods sake don't get a n/a diesel as I could run faster (and I'm fat!). :lol:

Turbo diesels aren't great either so if you can stretch to a Tdi, 200 or 300, then great! Drive them hard and the fuel economy will suffer. Hold mine at 85mph and you can see the excess fuel in the smog behind me - they're not designed for that!

Generally speaking people will knock Defenders and you either love them or hate them. Yes they can have their issues but so can the Jap ****. Anyone who says get this or get that because it's better is talking silly, no 4x4 is cheap to run so consider your needs carefully.

My 300tdi 110 will do over 90mph easy but on normal use I worked the mpg out to 18 so it might have been tweaked by one of the 22 previous owners but still it has never broken down and if it gets stolen I can fallow the oil trail and find her again.

Edited by SteveoM

My Defender does 85 easy, hasn't been tweaked but I have no desire to try and go any faster than that. It also hardly leaks any oil, the occasional drip and that's it. Also, mine's listed as an estate on the V5 so I can go up to 70 without issue on an A road and I can take it into Greater London come 2012... :P

Those suffering with bad performance or bad fuel economy should first remove the EGR if it has one fitted, then throw the CAT away and fit a new downpipe, finally check the fuel pump isn't knackered.

Edited by mick miller

I was actually overtaken by a Defender on the Motorway once....................

I was gobsmacked, despite the fact I was broken down on the hard shoulder waiting for recovery at the time!! :yes::good::D

Well, you should have bought a Land-Rover then and you'd still be going.

A lot of people don't look after them. Then they complain. There's plenty used as daily drivers and do fine. Dad used his 90 everyday for over 20 years and is still holds its own as it is looked after. The 2.5TD isn't a bad lump either really.

And there's still plenty of series vehicles going strong, and they don't all leak and rattle, but they should so it's not a problem.

Guest Mr Pieman

I had mine 'chipped' to add 35bhp. Get around 32mpg and it acceleraqtes really well - relative, of course!!! AND, I have done several motorway trips at a steady 75 :-)