Ruger 10/22

ellebarto

I'm trading in my GSG 5 tomorrow for a Ruger 10/22. Got a bit bored with the GSG and wanted more accuracy and flexibility! Cant take the GSG out into the fieled with me. Would scare the farmer half to death.

2 questions. Did anyone on here trade a Ruger 10/22 into McAvoys in standish recently. One with a black hogue stock and a target barrel?

Then anyone out there with a 10/22. What ammo do you feed it or does it prefer? Will it run subs OK? Ive got a pile of mini mags that I used in the GSG and was gonna chop them in with it unless I know the 10/22 is happy with them.

10/22 will be happy with mini mags, with a little tinkering it'll feed subs quite well also, i don't think you'll regret trading in your gsg, theres so many after market parts/spares/add-ons you can get incl a stock system to make it like like a gsg lol.... hth

the only ammo I have had trouble with was Winchester sub-sonic - it was the wax coating that caused them to stick (not eject) -- wiped it off before loading - then no probs .. and I use a 30 round mag - Eagle 2230 - great for rabbiting n rattin - I normally use Eley subsonic hollow points out to about 150 yds - super little rifle ... enjoy

10/22s by nature aren't very ammo sensitive for cycling. Accuracy is another issue. I tried 8 different types through mine and it was notably more accurate with RWS subs than the other subs I could get hold of (even Lapua which shocked me!).

So my advice would be try several makes of rounds decide one you like and buy lots in one go so they are from the same batch.

the only ammo I have had trouble with was Winchester sub-sonic - it was the wax coating that caused them to stick (not eject) -- wiped it off before loading - then no probs .. and I use a 30 round mag - Eagle 2230 - great for rabbiting n rattin - I normally use Eley subsonic hollow points out to about 150 yds - super little rifle ... enjoy

Isn't that strange, a very good shooting pal of mine with a 10-22 uses nothing but Winchester subs and swears by them! :hmm::good:

The 10-22 is without doubt the market leader in this field, not necessarily because it is the best, but it is available in so many versions and has so many aftermarket parts it must always be a serious contender.

Look at the CZ 511 and the new 512.

I bought a new Ruger 10/22 a few weeks ago... Found the following:

Remington subs - Awful accuracy, not a grouping in sight :blink: And very poor cycling ability.

Winchester Super X - Much better accuracy, and better cycling.

Eley subs - MUCH better in both accuracy and cycling, so I bought a brick of them, and they work great in the gun :good:

I've performed a couple of simple, cheap mods such as: Grind the bolt release mech to allow auto bolt release, replaced the recoil buffer pin for a polymer version, and polished-up the bolt.

Works very well.

I bought a new Ruger 10/22 a few weeks ago... Found the following:

Remington subs - Awful accuracy, not a grouping in sight :blink: And very poor cycling ability.

Winchester Super X - Much better accuracy, and better cycling.

Eley subs - MUCH better in both accuracy and cycling, so I bought a brick of them, and they work great in the gun :good:

I've performed a couple of simple, cheap mods such as: Grind the bolt release mech to allow auto bolt release, replaced the recoil buffer pin for a polymer version, and polished-up the bolt.

Works very well.

I'm always interested in customising. Can you just explain what those 3 things do for the gun?

I'm always interested in customising. Can you just explain what those 3 things do for the gun?

They mean the following,

Firstly the auto mag release - allows you to simply pull the cocking handle backwards and it will release forwards! (great for comp shooting and quick reloading)

Replacing the buffer pin should reduce the noise and recoil (not that they are that noisey or have much recoil)

polishing the bolt wont make much difference apart from it being easier to clean once dirty!

love 10/22's ive got two and must have shot over 35,000 rounds through them!

Yeah I must admit I am quite taken with the one Ive ordered. Nice black hogue synthetic stock, feels sound and sturdy and has a target barrel already on. Just wanted to do some research so I can hit the ground running with it. It seems there is no set ammo for them though and its just suck it and see.

Ive swapped it for a GSG which was proving only good fun in the range and Im hoping this will still be a fun range gun but useful in the field!

Yeah I must admit I am quite taken with the one Ive ordered. Nice black hogue synthetic stock, feels sound and sturdy and has a target barrel already on. Just wanted to do some research so I can hit the ground running with it. It seems there is no set ammo for them though and its just suck it and see.

Ive swapped it for a GSG which was proving only good fun in the range and Im hoping this will still be a fun range gun but useful in the field!

the 10/22 is such a versatile gun, its just as at home on the range or field.

take a look at the boyd stocks, ive got two of them and they are very comfy! (i swapped to them from my hogue stock, which sits in the cupboard now)

ammo wise they will shoot anything!

They mean the following,

Firstly the auto mag release - allows you to simply pull the cocking handle backwards and it will release forwards! (great for comp shooting and quick reloading)

Replacing the buffer pin should reduce the noise and recoil (not that they are that noisey or have much recoil)

polishing the bolt wont make much difference apart from it being easier to clean once dirty!

love 10/22's ive got two and must have shot over 35,000 rounds through them!

Yeh, what he said :yes:

The buffer pin was replaced more to reduce the noise of the bolt slapping against it than reducing recoil, though, to be honest. The steel pin gives a right "Clack", sound, which is virtually eliminated by the polymer one.

The auto bolt release is a dead easy mod, and there are lots of tutorials on Youtube, or you can buy a drop-in part from Fleabay if you'd rather not get a file out.

You might find that some of this work has been done to your gun if it's 2nd hand, but you'll be able to tell very easily once you have it, and take the stock off.

My 10/22 prefers Eley Subs...Tried Winchester, Remington etc but Eley's cycle well and group well. Modifications are so easy to do and once you get started you won't stop, basically many 10/22's out there only have the original receiver/bolt. rimfirecentral has a whole host of information for 10/22's.....basic mods include trigger's, buffer pin etc.