decoying to airgun

Ratsmasher

planning on doing some of the above tommorrow,will be setting up on a paddock that has a flightline over it have seen pigeon feeding on it before but not an everyday thing has anyone got any ideas on how to get them to actually land or is it just a case of accepting that im not going to get them all because they need to land and there wont be masses of feed material there

advice would be greatfully recieved

I had one successful day a few years ago, if you can call 18 pigeon a success. The shooting was with a .22, but the pigeon never sat long enough among the decoys for a shot. ONce I was concealed in a deep ditch, almost a gully in fact the bag was taken from birds sitting in the bare oak tree above. Perhaps getting below a sitty tree with a decoy spread in front is the way to go, although there will be others on this forum who have more experience at this branch of the sport and could advise you better.

Blackpowder

i use the tree method they come in then veer of into the tree to check out the decoys....had more out the tree than ever off the ground ..if they do land they spot any movement however slight against your back screen so spend time to block out any see through chinks of light in your hide good luck

As above, make sure you're well hidden and be ready, some will land and, of those that do, half will be gone in a few seconds especialy if there isn't any food available. I now use fud decoys and find that they stay on the ground longer than with shells. I had a go on some clover last week and in 1 1/2 hours only managed 2 on the ground and 3 in a sitty tree (and missed 2 in high winds), not a big bag but great sport and a few less for the farmer.

yeah ... went wrong within about thirty seconds of getting gun out of slip the wind changed direction by 180 degrees :mad: and about ten seconds after that the hevens opened and it just got heavier and heavier and spent rest of the day drying everything off

so all in all not the best start to decoying :sad1:

You are going to need a sitty tree and a couple of lofted decoys or a really hot day and a cattle/horse trough to getr them stationary long enough to shoot them.If you have a strong flight line and conditions allow it then a shotgun is the answer.

Or a muck heap :good: