Fluted or normal barrels

martinclay

is their not a new one out with fluted and thumbhole or was it just 22

Looking on their website, the thumbhole one has a heavy barrel. You can shave a bit of weight off the rifle if you flute it, as those CZ heavy barrels can certainly weigh in a bit.

i wouldn't bother fluting it. to get it fluted by a gunsmith your looking at £150 to £200 ! that imo makes the rifle cost to much. if you dont want a heavy rifle. just get the standard sporter barrel cz

cz use to do a limit edition 22lr which had a fluted barrel on it. they where very nice a friend of mine use to have one.

Edited by jamie g

it don't remove a lot of weight the quantity of steel removed is that low, the only real benefit is cooling and as already stated it would be hard to get a HMR to heat up regardless my HMR varmint would heat up more lef in the sun than by shooting rounds through it :lol:

it don't remove a lot of weight the quantity of steel removed is that low, the only real benefit is cooling and as already stated it would be hard to get a HMR to heat up regardless my HMR varmint would heat up more lef in the sun than by shooting rounds through it :lol:

Slightly off topic, does that mean that we don't really need to take the barrel heating up as an issue for zero? Just wondering, as when I zeroed my newly bought hmr I was concerned that pummelling rounds through it would have an effect?

Slightly off topic, does that mean that we don't really need to take the barrel heating up as an issue for zero? Just wondering, as when I zeroed my newly bought hmr I was concerned that pummelling rounds through it would have an effect?

I was always taught as a kid to shoot a 'barrel warmer' before target shooting.

If you zeroed a rifle with a hot barrel, I bet you the zero would be off if you then fired it from cold.

Maybe look pretty, waste of time in HMR, unless you are going to fire off 20+? rounds in quick succession, then, it might just actually feel warm in comparison to an ice cube.

You must have a "posers" itch in your pocket, not to have taken the advice given :yes:

it wont shift through heat but could via clean bore v dirty bore. Part of getting to know a rifle is monitoring this sort of thing IMO :good:

I was always taught as a kid to shoot a 'barrel warmer' before target shooting.

If you zeroed a rifle with a hot barrel, I bet you the zero would be off if you then fired it from cold.

You will struggle to make a HMR barrel hot, the ambient temperature may well have more effect on the barrel than a few shots through it.

Most definitely, if a barrel was HOT, or COLD, the bullet impact point would be different. Stick a few quick rounds down a light barreled centrefire and you will know what hot is, it is all but impossible to make even a light barrel HMR HOT!

Edited by Dekers

it wont shift through heat but could via clean bore v dirty bore. Part of getting to know a rifle is monitoring this sort of thing IMO :good:

Like the man said, with HMR, the condition of the bore/crown/all the component parts, will have more effect than temperature.

If you are zeroing you should not be letting off rounds like a Vietnam jungle fighter, so, at the very worst the barrel may get the chill off it! :good:

ATB! :good:

Just got my fac back and, am getting a cz 17 hmr but don't know what sort of barrel to get Fluted or normal. Any help would be great.

There have already been a number of responses, the reality is, fluted barrels are there to save weight and make them look pretty! :yes::hmm:

It's very simple...

1. If you want a light CZ then simply get a normal barrel and forget a heavy fluted one.

2. NEVER buy a gun simply because it looks pretty!

ATB!