barrel shortening

colin lad

around £100 i would say. i get it done for £70 but dont bother with the proof if you dont intend to sell the rifle on.

mind some gunsmiths wont do it with out proof i guess that is to do with there insurance.

sorry dont know if any gunsmith in Bedfordshire. Richard pope in Worcestershire [ bromsgrove] offers great work for good prices. bit of a trek for you though i guess

thanks all for your reply's everyone got a few good options, Donaldson's quoted me £70 will give r&k stockcraft a ring as i found them very helpfull the other week when i was in there,will also give a ring to the man semiautolee gave me, the reason was when i got my hmr i got a bargin £300 new but it was 20inch barrel and thought that would be fine but after using it in the car Monday i realized the difference with it and my 16inch .22lr,

so thinking is if its not too dear to get chop then i still got a good price gun,

as for the proofing of it after a long chat with chap at Donaldson's i was told of a land mark court case that he said meant that it was not a legal requirement to have it proofed but don't jump on me about that as its just what i have been told and i guess they should know

thanks again all will let you know how i get on

colin

I noticed recently that Edgar Brothers ( the importers ) recommend that owners don't shorten CZ barrels, because CZ put a slight choke at the muzzle to aid accuracy.

How true this is, I don't know.

I don't believe it.

My .22 was 21" and I had it chopped to 14"

If anything it is even more accurate than it was before.

I don't believe it.

My .22 was 21" and I had it chopped to 14"

If anything it is even more accurate than it was before.

hi mate i spoke to shop and they said not to go below 16inch is that because its hmr and not 22lr or do you think they are just being safe

colin

Dont go to R&K Stockcraft, i have seen some of their threading jobs, the thread on a Sauer i corrected was particularly bad, torn, undersize and without an undercut, its one of the worst threading jobs i have ever seen.

Ian.

have you any feedback on Donaldsons of mk???

colin

:hmm::hmm::hmm:

I know what you mean, but here's a link to the EB site

http://shootingsports.edgarbrothers.com/pages/Ask-Derek-8.aspx

They write;

We do not recommend the cutting down of any CZ barrel due to the fact that they are hammer forged and are actually choked at the muzzle to maximise accuracy which is one of the reasons CZ rifles are renowned for their accuracy.

In their defence, benchrest rimfire builders will slug a barrel and cut it at the tightest point, the idea being that when the barrel is tightest the bullet isn't rattling around as it leaves. Worst case scenario is that you cut the barrel at a loose point where the bullet is rattling and the exit is inconsistent.

I haven't cut down a barrel myself, but if I did I would certainly slug it first. I have re-crowned a few, that's worth doing.

I can see the resoning in that but..

Call me an old cynic but here is another quote from that same page...

If you want a shorter barrel part ex your old rifle and get a new rifle with a new three year guarantee!

Maybe the hundreds (thousands?) of people who have done this just got lucky and chopped at exactly the right spot.

If you want a shorter barrel part ex your old rifle and get a new rifle with a new three year guarantee!

Maybe the hundreds (thousands?) of people who have done this just got lucky and chopped at exactly the right spot.

:yes::yes::yes:

..and if the 16" are purpose built that length, and apparently getting very popular, why are they more expensive?

:good:

I thought the same thing about the p/x sentence, but then again, it does put a used rifle on the market which would affect new sales anyway. Who knows.

Personally I believe them about the choke, because my .22LR and HMR have tighter bores towards the muzzle, as felt by my cleaning rods getting tighter at the end. How much difference does it make in the field ? I don't know, perhaps only a benchrest shooter could tell the difference.