cats

king ratcatcher

hi guys, been baiting the rats in my garden for a few days now, and the baits been disapering, till i go out tonight for ratty, put the lamp on and out came the rat, a cat walks along and starts eating the bait and scares of the rats.

there was 2 cats int he garden a few nights ago, so i think there eating the bait. anything i can do to stop them atleast eating the bait, ie anything to put in the bait to make them not wont it, but the rats still do?? cheers :thumbs:

I bait rats also, I bait them into an area were i can get a clear safe shot with no obstructions.

If i have sat i my bedroom window for 3 hours the last thing i want do do is miss 1 because my line of sight in compromissed.

Kenzie

BAIT......WHAT BAIT??

a bait to entice rats??or a bait to poison rats??

no worrys m8, it is normell bait to shoot the rats, just wanted to know as i was outside with the lamp on my lightning last night and a cat walked wright accross the garden and straight to the bait, so im woundering weather the cats are eating it or the rats if you get my drift.

just wanted to see if theres a cure to keep the cats away from the bait, and also make the rats still want the bait.

cheers :thumbs:

Just poison the bait - that way you get rid of the rats. :thumbs:

BH

Come on Bounty hunter, the cats are people's pets, whether you like them or not.

Some don't like dogs either, and my labrador (being a labrador) will eat anything, including your stupidly poisoned bait!!!!!

Jeez!! :<

Not King ratcatchers prob if someones cat helps it's self to the bait is it :thumbs:

Last time i was in norfolk the guy opposite left his bait on his hook (roach) as he was pike fishing.

At about 2AM i heard a massive disturbance and a Cat had smelled the fish knocked the rod over to get at it and eaten the fish and in the process hooked it's self :thumbs:

I know the guy should have his *** kicked for leaving the rod baited but then had the cat not been out it wouldn't have ended up hooked :thumbs:

I have a disliking for cats roaming as they please and shatting on my garden.

How would the cat owners feel if i tossed my DOG over the fence and let it **** on THEIR lawns :thumbs:

Perhaps it's time to treat a cat the same as a dog and make it that they can only go out on a leash :D

Seems a big problem when foxes kill chickens and rabbits etc in it's course of life and there is hell to pay and the fox destroyed

But a Domestic cat roams about killing Pet rabbits in gardens and killing birds (inc the odd chickens) and nothing can be done as it is a domestic pet.

THAT i disagree with i am sorry

Whilst i wouldn't PERSONALLY poison or shoot cats or harm them in anyway i wouldn't go out of my way to save a dying one either.

Call me cruel if you wish :)

LG

Edited by Lord Geordie

a dog shats in my garden from time to time,, and I don;t like it too, but it doesn't make me act irresponsibly,

I have no gripe with the problem,,, just how its managed.

I can see your side of the argument too bud i aint side stepping that i am merely stating the facts that inevitably when poison is laid (even by the pros) the rat takes the poison and the rat is eaten by the cat and the cat dies from secondary poisoning :thumbs:

Either way the cat is running a risk.

What if JUST as a shot is taken with a SG a Cat dives from behind a haybale to attack the rat and ends up in the choke pattern :thumbs:

All possibilities and don't mean people are being irresponsible.

In Australia Cats have to be PENNED they are put in runs in the gardens like Rabbit runs and if they are caught roaming the owner faces huge fines.

Perhaps the same will end up comming into force here? :thumbs:

LG

Not King ratcatchers prob if someones cat helps it's self to the bait is it :thumbs:

Last time i was in norfolk the guy opposite left his bait on his hook (roach) as he was pike fishing.

At about 2AM i heard a massive disturbance and a Cat had smelled the fish knocked the rod over to get at it and eaten the fish and in the process hooked it's self :D

I know the guy should have his *** kicked for leaving the rod baited but then had the cat not been out it wouldn't have ended up hooked :thumbs:

I have a disliking for cats roaming as they please and shatting on my garden.

How would the cat owners feel if i tossed my DOG over the fence and let it **** on THEIR lawns :thumbs:

Perhaps it's time to treat a cat the same as a dog and make it that they can only go out on a leash :)

Seems a big problem when foxes kill chickens and rabbits etc in it's course of life and there is hell to pay and the fox destroyed

But a Domestic cat roams about killing Pet rabbits in gardens and killing birds (inc the odd chickens) and nothing can be done as it is a domestic pet.

THAT i disagree with i am sorry

Whilst i wouldn't PERSONALLY poison or shoot cats or harm them in anyway i wouldn't go out of my way to save a dying one either.

Call me cruel if you wish :lol:

LG

i can agree with you, i think they should be treated the same way as a dog, and should be walked on a lead, there pets and should be treated like pets, as like dogs are.

in my honest opinion, i wouldnt poison a cat as it is cruel and i am not that type of person.

i have been told to put orange peel out in the garden and it dont work here, theres so many cats in my street and belive me the corse some ****. every minute there in the garden making the dogs to go mad, but what if one of my dogs catches the cat, oh it would be my fult.

i cant even put bread out for the sparrows and bluetits no more, the cats eat the bread. :thumbs:

i might not agree with many people here in that i like cats and have two and that dosent bother me one bit, its their opinion, however a dog or cat are just the same, they are animals which people own and pay in some cases serious money for and love.

how would you like it if i poisened your dog for coming into my garden (granted cats tend to roam alot more than dogs). Just because you dont like a certain animal is no reason to kill/injure it.

if you are willing to knowingly and quite happily cause potential death or at least injury to an animal which you dont even own, in my opinion that is just not right. The whole basis of shooting is enjoyment and being humaine..... i cant see poisening being fun or humaine as the animal probably wont die. So i cant see why any shooter would do it.

However i draw one line which is cats around phesant shoots, they are a serious pest and as such if not identified or other methods cant stop them must be dealt with.

i might not agree with many people here in that i like cats and have two and that dosent bother me one bit, its their opinion, however a dog or cat are just the same, they are animals which people own and pay in some cases serious money for and love.

how would you like it if i poisened your dog for coming into my garden (granted cats tend to roam alot more than dogs). Just because you dont like a certain animal is no reason to kill/injure it.

if you are willing to knowingly and quite happily cause potential death or at least injury to an animal which you dont even own, in my opinion that is just not right. The whole basis of shooting is enjoyment and being humaine..... i cant see poisening being fun or humaine as the animal probably wont die. So i cant see why any shooter would do it.

However i draw one line which is cats around phesant shoots, they are a serious pest and as such if not identified or other methods cant stop them must be dealt with.

I have just said i wouldn't kill poison or injure one personally :thumbs:

But what you just said puzzles me??

Your saying it's not right to kill or injure someones pet as they spend lots of money and love on it and then in another breath state cats on pheasant shoots MUST be delt with if other means fail.

What would YOU call dealt with?:thumbs:

LG

trapped or if its a serious problem then shot. of couse after all other avenues have been explored and failed to find a satisfactory solution.

a cat on a phesant shoot is an issue in the same way a fox is, they kill more than they eat, they could harm a whole seasons worth of shooting in a few evenings of killing. and afterall this is peoples jobs a cat is threatening.

however i do believe you must really have tried every method of deterant or other solutions.

trapped or if its a serious problem then shot. of couse after all other avenues have been explored and failed to find a satisfactory solution.

a cat on a phesant shoot is an issue in the same way a fox is, they kill more than they eat, they could harm a whole seasons worth of shooting in a few evenings of killing. and afterall this is peoples jobs a cat is threatening.

however i do believe you must really have tried every method of deterant or other solutions.

Don't get me wrong bud that wasn't a sly dig at you i was just curious as to the wording.

I understand the Pheasants need as much protection as they can get expecially during the laying preiod as they are i would assume more vulnerable due to instinct to sit on the eggs and protect them.

i think more cats have ended up in dodgy cantonese meals round here than shot or poisoned though :thumbs:

LG

Hi,

Lets get something clear. Just like dogs, not all cats roam everywhere, not all cats **** in the middle of your lawn,(I have a cat and she has never done this nor has another cat on our land) not all cats are birders, (mines not). If you were to make a law stating that cats have to be walked on leads and not let out otherwise shouldn't the same apply to dogs? For example what is normally a lap dog can wreak havoc in a field of pregnant ewes. Don't get me wrong other peoples cats can be a pest but a bucket of water or a quick wash with the hose pipe will deter them from the garden. :thumbs:

FM :thumbs:

Edited by Ferret Master

>In Australia Cats have to be PENNED they are put in runs in the gardens

My cat's only "outdoors" is a pen which he has a cat flap to through the wall. This suits everyone and it stops him getting shot by some *** with an air gun, poisoned by an over efficient 'pest controller', and it stops him getting flattened by a car.

It also means he craps outside :thumbs:

Rodent poisons are covered by SSOW`s and legislation.Therefore if you place poisons in unsecure BAIT STATIONS you will be responsible for any mishaps.

This is off topic so can we get back on topic and not get all"Handbags at dawn" :thumbs:

Hi,

Lets get something clear. Just like dogs, not all cats roam everywhere, not all cats **** in the middle of your lawn,(I have a cat and she has never done this nor has another cat on our land) not all cats are birders, (mines not). If you were to make a law stating that cats have to be walked on leads and not let out otherwise shouldn't the same apply to dogs? For example what is normally a lap dog can wreak havoc in a field of pregnant ewes. Don't get me wrong other peoples cats can be a pest but a bucket of water or a quick wash with the hose pipe will deter them from the garden. :thumbs:

FM :thumbs:

Good Post and i take your comments fully on board.

Fact of the matter is dogs ARE supposed to be on leashes OR under control of the owner responsible for them and that is the law.

It just is NOT enforced.

A well trained dog walking along side it's master is fine as long as it is under control fully.

I also know where your comming from about dogs and sheep it also happens with dogs and other animals like horses and cows and pigs etc. I used to work on a farm for 3 year and the FARMERS dog was a *** :thumbs:

The farmer was nearly trampled by his cattle when the dog nipped at the cows ankles :thumbs:

The fact of the matter is it is HARDER to control cats roaming than dogs as most dogs are kept indoors and on a leash whilst out though there are of course the ones who don't care and let the dogs out to roam too but these dogs can be impounded and the owners fined where as cats i would say 99% roam freely.

Cats in America and in Australia have DESIMATED the small wildlife such as rodents and birds to such an extent they are shot on sight in some states and as said in Australia are kept in runs or indoors and the owners FINED if they are found roaming

LG