Pigeon containing old pellets

fortune82

I went roost shooting yesterday and came back with a load of pigeon. When breasting them I found one with a hard white strip on one of its breasts.

When I cut into this strip there was a load of feathers and two shotgun pellets. The white stuff is obviously scar tissue.

Looks like someone has had a go at it before and it has survived! It was in fine condition apart from this and was flying well until 32 grams hit it!

Has anyone else had anything like this before?

Hey, am i reading this right, people are popping at deer with shotguns with bird shot? Yes

Just out of interest and I dont have deer on my permission, but if i did is the shotgun a usable tool to take them with? Yes and no. There is something called 'Farmers defence' that allows you to shoot deer with AAA (or bigger) sized shot under condition that some very scrit conditions have been met. The whole law is rather 'iffy. The majority of deer shot with shotguns are unfortunatly done by a small group of irresponable idoits, doing so quiet illeagaly

Edited by Bleeh

Ive not got any photos unfortunately as my hands were a bit bloody at the time!

I compared the shot to some no.6 out of a cartridge and I reckon it is slightly bigger so probably no.5 shot.

I actually hit a pigeon at the same spot three weeks ago with a no.5 shot cartridge which flew off after a puff of feathers.

Its got me wondering whether It was the same one back for a second chance!!

Taken a .22 air rifle pellet out of a mallard I shot and the same with a pheasant. Found quite a few of my Ducks and especially geese to have been carrying old shot, one goose I shot had three different shot sizes in it.

My brother shot a Silver medal Roebucl which had a face full of lead No4 shot.